PDA

View Full Version : Ideal / Lyman spruce plate screw for mold

helenajoe
12-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the part number or an actual spruce plate screw with 6 fine threads for my vintage Ideal mold #350447 (183 gr .348 Win bullet) that looks like this:

Note: I tried a spruce screw with 6 fine threads like the one pictured above from my 1967 Lyman .243 mold #245497 and it fit my vintage Ideal mold #350447.

I tried ordering the spruce screw with 6 fine threads from Lyman but they kept sending me a spruce screw with 4 course threads that would NOT fit:
Part #2998289 XX-115 cut-off screw
Part #2998292 cut-off screw (for .187 cut-off)
This incorrect spruce screw with 4 course threads looks like this:

If anyone knows what the part number of a sprue screw with 6 fine threads please let me know so I can order one from Lyman. Or if anyone has a sprue screw with 6 fine threads that they'd sell me, please contact me.

This is my first attempt at trying to attach a picture so please bear with me. If the pictures don't appear, I can always email a picture to someone. Any advise on how to post a picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
helenajoe
praymond@ipeg.com

Bullshop
12-28-2005, 02:02 PM
You can keep swaping with you other till you find one, so you can use it now. Keep looking at gun shows for an older one that will work. I often find older molds that are abused about beyond use, but are a source for parts. Most often the seller can be convinced he has a limited market for a usless item and it wont cost much.
BIC/BS

BruceB
12-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Also, keep checking at Ebay with a search for "bullet mould" and "bullet mold". Fairly often, I see repair parts for older moulds there.

Since the spelling can be important, especially if using a 'search' function, I MUST point out that it is a S-P-R-U-E plate, NOT a "spruce" plate, no "C"involved in the word. We see that error quite frequently, and it will screw up a search completely.

MT Gianni
12-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a nice 4 cavity Ideal 358477 mold bought at a discount because "some fool tapped it out to a bigger size. I don't know what". Turned out to be 1/4" 20 tpi one of the most common threads in America. That's an option too. Gianni.

beagle
12-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Good point. I've encountered several old SCs "hogged" out to 10-32 with a panhead screw and a bushing./beagle

I have a nice 4 cavity Ideal 358477 mold bought at a discount because "some fool tapped it out to a bigger size. I don't know what". Turned out to be 1/4" 20 tpi one of the most common threads in America. That's an option too. Gianni.

BOOM BOOM
12-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi,
The Retapping To A Different Screw Is The Solution To A Stripped Hole.

trk
12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
It seems to me that a screw could be made from a standard screw by turning down the end a bit. So, what is the thread diameter and pitch?