PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Fouling

joeb33050
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
The Savage Striker in 308 Win has leaded, a tiny bit, when .3095" bullets are used.
Cleaning every relay, every 12-15 shots, seems to make about all my guns shoot better on average; including the Striker.
So, yesterday I cleaned a bit, then ran a tight Lead Away from Kleen Bore lead removing patch through the barrel after each relay. I felt the lead, at the chamber end of the barrel, but there was no lead on the patches. It felt like lead, that gritty feeling that goes away as you work the patch back and forth, no lead to be seen.
I can't see anything in the barrel before cleaning, can't see anything after cleaning with (paper) patches and Marvel Mystery Oil. Wipe the bore dry, push through a tight Lead Away patch, feel the ?lead?, no lead on the patch.
This is all new for me, something is fouling the chamber end of the barrel and I can't see it or get it out with MMO unless I Lead Away or brush the barrel, and I'm reluctant to do a lot of either.
What is it? Does anyone know?
Thanks;
joe b.

Bill*
12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
When you say "that gritty feeling" yet no lead with the Kleen bore lead away patch, I wonder if you might be feeling throat erosion? Hope not, but it's a thought. Bill

44man
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Joe, are you using Alox? Are you getting burned Alox ash?
As long as it cleans out, it is not erosion.
Try a better lube like Felix or Carnauba Red.

kir_kenix
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I would also say that perhaps the "mystery fouling" is a lube failure. I have ran into similiar situations when using LLA in rifles. Most of the fouling is in the first 2-4" of the barrel. Try switching lubes and see if the problem goes away.

Then again, if its an accurate and satisfying load, maybe its better you just live with having to clean the mystery lube.

joeb33050
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
When you say "that gritty feeling" yet no lead with the Kleen bore lead away patch, I wonder if you might be feeling throat erosion? Hope not, but it's a thought. Bill

The stuff goes away, it cleans out-but it ain't lead.
I use NRA ALOX lube exclusively, have done so for 30 years or so. I never had a problem before, have no problem mystery fouling in the Competitor 30BR with Alox.
Thanks;
joe b.

Bill*
12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh, I thought it wasn't coming out. as my kids say--"my bad":mrgreen:

Calamity Jake
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
The stuff goes away, it cleans out-but it ain't lead.
I use NRA ALOX lube exclusively, have done so for 30 years or so. I never had a problem before, have no problem mystery fouling in the Competitor 30BR with Alox.
Thanks;
joe b.

Alox 2138F is no longer avaliable so your NRA lube if new manufacture is different. And that may be the difference.

Just MY 2¢

runfiverun
12-11-2008, 09:31 PM
the new stuff has a different number like 350 or sumthin.
i have a 7mm that gets a gunk bout half way down the bbl it doesn't affect accuracy even after 50-75 shots i just attributed it to gooey,burned lube showing up in there.
it also seemed to clear up on it's own [coincidentally right after a couple of fliers]
lube purge flyers i figured.
if i just pushed a brush down the bbl it looked ragged, if a patch it just got a bit tight then shoved through and come out a brownish color.