PDA

View Full Version : BHN again

Harpman
12-27-2005, 11:41 PM
I just got my Lee tester, checked these bullets, see if they sound about right...a Wheel weight, not melted yet, was 10bhn, water quenched one about 8 months ago tested 20bhn, and I quadroople checked that one..maybe a year old water quenched...and last one was soft lead weight, seems like pure lead, the flat ones, tested about 7, was less than what lee's chart shows.

Buckshot
12-28-2005, 01:33 AM
...............WW runs 9-11 so it checks out. Pure lead is taken as 5 (actually 4.6) so if you get a 7 it's not pure lead. Soft, but not pure.

....................Buckshot

Harry O
12-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I had the same problem with the Lee chart. I cast a lot less than Bhn 8.0. I researched it and found that the Lee chart is a straight-line mathematical conversion. So I extended the chart downward to a hardness of 5.0. I was not able to post the chart here, so you need to go to:

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/cast_bullet_hardness.html

The extended Lee chart is near the bottom of the article. I was able to test the Lee hardness tester against a commercial tester where I worked. It is as accurate as you can read with it. It does take a little work to try to get the light and the dimple and the measurement stick all together with the Lee tester, but when you do, it is accurate.