PDA

View Full Version : The sweet smell of powder!!!

docone31
12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
My pants just got shorter!!!!!
I got back from the range just now, couldn't wait to get braggin rights!!!!
My Smelly,
Sized to .314, fired off 20, aside from the scope now being way off due to barrel bedding, GREAT. I mean great. Reliable, good placement. The scope was so high I could aim off the backboard and center on a bowling pin on the berm and get groups on the target. Good groups 2". Not bad for a Smelly with an off line scope.
My Ishy,
Sized the patched boolitts to .309. Iron sights, walked a bowling pin up the berm! Good confetti! First time I ever saw it. Perhaps the scope on the Smelly blocks the view of the confetti. It is not like it just hangs there for me to see.
All loads were more accurate than milsurp. Less recoil. Actually, quite comfortable to shoot.
My wife spent the day with the 10/22, putting her rounds into the Red Dot on a paper plate at 100yds. She thought we should go to the 50yd line to sight in the scope. I told her, a stock 10/22 on a windy day, putting holes in an 1" Red Dot at 100yds does not need to be resighted in. She is getting comfortable with the .22. I started her on my O3-A3. The .22 was boring to her.
A great day, with little if no embarassement.
No one at the range had seen paper patched .30cal before. There was one long range shooter with his spotting scope, calipers, hand loader. He said it was impossible. I fired 50 right next to him. We talked, I doubt he will do anything like it.
A great day indeed.