PDA

View Full Version : swaging

acemedic13
12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I just got done looking at corbins site......WOW...... I know nothing about swaging bullets but, BOY DO I WANT TO!! I am having a good time putting out cast boolits, but I would like to learn about swaging. Especially before I get invested (I tend to get a bit impulsive with this stuff) I would really appreciate any info on this topic that will get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks. :Fire:8-)

fishhawk
12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
well joel i sugest you start reading the swageing forum here so you get some idea of whats going on. myself i cant see adding in the extra steps when cast works fine. steve k

acemedic13
12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Thank you for the input. I know cast boolits work great. I aint gonna give up casting...hell I just got started!! They work great and I love working in the forge and furnace.......Just looking down some new avenues to learn a few new things. I would like to be able to do both. I like the versatility different methods have to offer. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. I am still learning the site. Joel :drinks:

docone31
12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Do you mean something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220325158261&Category=7308&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2
I had looked at that for my Smelly. I need .312, rather than .311.
I had tossed around that idea for a bit also.
Glad I did not get one, it would have been too small.

nicholst55
12-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Corbin's website has a handbook that you can download as a .PDF file that goes into all the details of swaging. Used equipment comes up for sale from time to time on evil-bay and GunBroker.com - you just need to keep your eyes open.

acemedic13
12-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for turning me on to the ebay swage guy. I appreciate it docone. I am still trying to see if it is for me. Would be a good thing to learn and have. Joel

docone31
12-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I had tossed around swageing.
Nah.
I paper patch. I swear, I have found the grail!!!!
Just got back from the range. My .30s sang today! My .303 British sang brilliantly!
I can cast a boolitt, size it, wrap it, size it, and off to the races.
I can exceed jacketed performance for some wheel weights, some paper, a mold, Push Thru Sizing Die, some JPW, and my dies modified to fit the patched rig.
I have done the impossible to me, for less than a single die to swage with!
It is simpler than it seems.