PDA

View Full Version : Re- .475 BFR groups with WFN

44man
12-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I loaded up some more of my 411 gr WFN boolits from my home made mould with 26 grs of 296 and Felix lube. My friend came over to shoot with his two young boys, so I took the .475 down to try. I shot from sandbags with the muzzle on one bag and the butt held loosely on another.
The first five were at 50 yd's and we almost fell over when we seen them. They were in 5/8". That of course is the left target. They are to the left of the bull because I added too many clicks to the red dot. I cut the clicks in half to get into the bull, checked with one shot.
I then shot five at 100 yd's to check the drop. They were in 3-1/8" which was very good because the red dot covers a LOT of target at that range. The boolit drops 6" with a 50 yd setting. This is 2" more drop then the WLNGC boolit.
The shrapnel tears are from a steel target I had to the side of the paper.

doghawg
12-27-2005, 11:03 PM
44man

That is one fine shooting bullet/gun combo you've got there! I had my .475 out yesterday but I ain't posting any pics of the groups (patterns?) because bifocals just aren't mixing well with iron sights.

What is the dia. of the meplat on that bullet?

44man
12-27-2005, 11:28 PM
As close as I can measure it, the meplat is between .370 to .375.
I have shot a lot of commercial WFN boolits without any luck but this one will really shoot. I know it would do much better at long range if I had a scope on it instead of a red dot but it is a hunting gun. This is the only thing I can see anymore in the morning and evening.
Which .475 do you have? If it is the BFR, the Lee 400 gr is great with 26.5 gr's of 296 and will do under an inch at 50 yd's. If it is a Freedom Arms, use a 325 to 350 gr boolit.

doghawg
12-28-2005, 10:23 PM
44man

Mine is a 6 1/2" BFR. It's drilled and tapped and has the BFR supplied base and the plan is to put an Ultradot on it. I like the Aimpoint but $$$$$ for another one is a bit much. One of these days I'll get home early enough to call Larrys Guns during business hours and order the Ultra over the phone. Never have been comfortable doing transactions on the net.

Have you had any problem with the sharp edge on that trigger guard? The first hot 400 grain load I lit off bit me pretty good so I use a shooting glove now. Other than that, this gun is very impressive. The cylinder spins like it's on ball bearings, barrel/cylinder gap is under .003" and lock-up is tight. I wish Magnum Research would make a .41 or .44. I found a Ruger Bisley Hunter in .41 for $459.00 but in my opinion it wasn't fit to bring home. The trigger and sloppy base pin could be fixed but a .410" bullet would fall thru one throat and jam in the next.

44man
12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
No, I have never had a problem with the trigger guard. The rubber grips keep me away from it just fine. I have shot as many as 200 heavy loads in one day. I enjoy shooting this thing and can't cast fast enough to keep in boolits. It is so accurate that when I miss, it is my fault. I can put up with my failings but never the failings of an inaccurate gun. If I can't get a gun to shoot, it just quietly goes away.
The only regrets I have is selling a SRH that was so accurate I was hitting pop cans at 200 yd's from the bench. I needed the money to buy the BFR! I will never sell this one!
The Ultra Dot is holding up great, no problems at all with it. I blew up all kinds of other scopes, red dots and lasers on the gun. The only scope I have that did not break is a Tasco but it was too dark in the mornings to see through.
You can file the sharp edge off the guard, polish it with 400 grit and then use Scotch-brite to blend to the finish. I had to do more then one SBH this way.