PDA

View Full Version : Getting it straight..Ammo that is!

georgewxxx
12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not usually a perfectionist like bench rest shooters, but I do want to see my finished product as good as my sorry eyes will allow. Another forum shows one way to tweak you ammo up one notch...Geo
http://www.eotacforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=58422

44man
12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
If you are talking about rifles, over sizing with tight dies and then pulling an expander back through the neck will give you bad run out.
Reduce the sizing by using Redding collar dies or have your size die lapped for minimum sizing so the expander pulls through with little force and live happy.

Reloader06
12-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds good to me. Good enough to try at least. Thanks for the tip.

Matt

Houndog
12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
If you want to get straight ammo throw your conventional sizing die away and use a Redding type S die that has a separate neck sizing bushing and NO sizing ball to be drug back through the neck after it's sized! I've been using an off the shelf type S full length sizing die along with a Wilson straight line bullet seater for my benchrest rifles for years with excellent results. If you want to use a conventional type bullet seater, seat your bullet almost all the way home, then turn the case 1/4 a turn and finish seating. I've found it helps keep the round more concentric.

BTW: A big thanks for all the cast boolet information posted here! It's been a BIG help. I'm a long time benchrest rifle shooter, but I'm fairly new to the cast boolet game.

Russ in WY
12-14-2008, 09:19 PM
This is a practice that I have Totally Eliminated from my reloading practice. The reason is that it over works the brass & stretches the case every time the case is reloaded. Yes, to make the switch to Bushing dies is an extra cost, but if case life is a factor in your reloading, overtime it will pay for itself. Also for those who shoot the [small varmints] you will benefit in better groups. Overtime 3/4 reloads maybe more depending on cal & pressure level, the case will grow in length to where you will need to have the shoulder bumped back to meet chamber fit so the bolt will close without undue force. Here a FL Bushing die can make this happen also without the expanding step. I only shoot a small number of calibers ,so it is not that more costly. For those who shoot many diff cal's it probably would be cost prohibitive. I do this for 223/ 20 Tactical & 20 Vartarg, for Pasture Poodle Varmint Control. My 2¢. Russ.