PDA

View Full Version : There's a Master Amoungst Us

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
For those of you who don't know- our own cast boolit brother "Ben", is an expert in stock finishing, refinishing, repair, inletting and bedding for all types of rifles.

His finish and fitting is amongst the very best you will find in the business, and he works right in his own home shop.

I recently purchased a first year model 1950 Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, that was near perfect with less than a few boxes of rounds fired, unaltered, all original about 98% overall... :Fire:

When the rifle arrived to my surprise, then horror and shock, I found the owner had thought he was improving the rifle by coating the original stock finish with several coats of tru-oil- most likely with a brush. The Marlin "Bullseye" was missing also.

After a few hours, I couldn't bear to look at the mess any further... disassembled the rifle and removed the finish. While doing so a piece of the front end of the forearm broke off in my hand. Luckily it was with the grain on the inside. I started to run out in the shop and grab some wood glue and I thought... " what in the heck are you doing Pat? This is a valued Marlin, and you are going to attempt to fix this break, and finish it with what ever was laying around. Are you out of your mind?" ..:mrgreen:

After stripping the stains didn't match even. I quickly came to my senses and emailed Ben for HELP!

I boxed up the whole set and sent it to him, and upon arrival he started working on it right away.

One of the screw holes was loose on the butt plate, so Ben fixed that and repaired the broken forearm with acra-glas as a competent pro would, and not a back yard hack like where I was headed...

kir_kenix
12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I can't see the repair! Good to hear that there are plenty of good folks around here who can be relied upon to do good work. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get a damaged stock on a beloved rifle. Glad you got your Marlin back in better shape then when you bought it. Enjoy it.

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Ben installed an original Marlin Bullseye as shown, with perfect fitting.

Next he prepped the wood for a finish, and we discussed an appropriate coloring which was similar to an old Winchester he had completed which was deep browns and a touch of red highlights for the redness grains followed by the fist couple coats of his own finish formula.

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I wanted a finish that had the look of hand oil- nice sheen without any possible hint of a glitzy "Poly" look.

Shown is a cool indoor climate controlled drying booth he built to make sure the finish cures at optimum conditions.

Ben had sent me several pictures of his progress each day showing the depth and shine each coat was adding until we both agreed we had the perfect "Sheen" for a 1950 Classic Marlin.

I'm totally pleased with the out come and so glad I handed this project over to him... Thanks Ben....! :Fire:

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I've seen many pics of Ben's work over the years. His inletting and micro fit- wood to metal work is amazing.

Here are a few samples of his stock work...

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
....and

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
.....and

Heavy lead
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
awesome

Frank46
12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I have been exchanging e-mails with Ben ever since I bought a mold from him. In that time I'm constantly amazed at the quality of his work. Not only that his repairs are darn near impossible to spot and that's even when he included the before and after photo's. Frank

Wayne Smith
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Yup, I see the repair, but then I know what to look for, having done some myself. Very good work, done to a very high standard.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Ben is a Master, no doubt about it.

Reloader06
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
WOW. Not in my wildest dreams could I do anything like that. Great job Ben. Thanks for sharing Pat.

Matt

Ben
12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
You are all VERY generous with your remarks. I hope that I'm worthy of 2% of what has been said.

Best to all of your during the Christmas Holidays ,

Ben