PDA

View Full Version : Who has linotype for sale

klw
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Midway carries it, obviously, but that is too expensive for me. Bill Ferguson is selling it at $1000 per 300 pounds. Don't know if that includes shipping or not. But does anyone have it at anything approaching a reasonable price?

Mugs
12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Try Art Green
485 S. Robertson Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA. 90211
[310] 274-1283
Mugs

Scrounger
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Not Linotype as we usually see it (in the shape of letters and numbers). He will correctly mix you any alloy you want, Linotype, Lyman No 2, Mono type, whatever your heart desires.

bigdog454
12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Getting Old really sucks!! BUT it beats the alternative!!!

leftiye
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
You're sure????

klw
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Try Art Green
485 S. Robertson Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA. 90211
[310] 274-1283
Mugs

Art just turned 80. Had the first major illness of his life a couple months ago. Turned out VERY well. I've probably done business with Art for 25 years. I've got 3000 pounds of linotype on order. If he is low he sends me one 50 pound box a month. If he has a lot he sends me four 50 pound boxes a month.

Still a second source would be nice. That use to be Bill Ferguson but age has caught up with Bill I'm afraid. Then too his prices are just WAY to high! He wants more than $2 a pound more than Art.

So I was looking for a second source now that Bill is, essentially, out of the picture. Midway is also way to expensive.

So any suggestions other than Art, Bill or Midway?

Johnw...ski
12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Haven't looked lately but there was plenty on e-bay earlier this year.

klw
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Well what e-bay sellers think is linotype is, perhaps, not always up to snuff. Wheelweights at best.

e15cap
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I have Lino in letters and ingots for $2.00 lb. Located in San Diego.

Superfly
12-09-2008, 01:16 AM
What i linotype?????? What is it used for ???

Yeap a noobie first post

Used to help dad about 34 years ago mae Boolits for the BP rifles and pistols. Long story short way to many years ago for a 3 year old to remember.

Tia Superfly

Gunslinger
12-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Linotype is what old printing houses used in their typing machines back in the early days. It often comes in small letters, as stated above. It consists of 84% lead, 12% antimony and 4% tin.

The antimony is what hardens the lead, and linotype is therefore used to alloy with lead to get a higher BNH number. The tin content makes the lead fill out the mold better. So if you have lino, it's much easier to get the hardness you want.

44wcf
12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Linotype is what old printing houses used in their typing machines back in the early days. It often comes in small letters, as stated above. It consists of 84% lead, 12% antimony and 4% tin.

The antimony is what hardens the lead, and linotype is therefore used to alloy with lead to get a higher BNH number. The tin content makes the lead fill out the mold better. So if you have lino, it's much easier to get the hardness you want.

What BNH number would linotype be?
Thanks
44wcf

454PB
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
With my apologies to the many regulars here that have seen this before......here is a picture of monotype (the large block letters) and linotype (the strips with small letters imbedded for the newbies:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/MJSlinotype.jpg

The BHN of linotype is usually 22.

The BHN of monotype is usually 28.

Those BHN values can be lowered by repeated use without reconstitution.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Midway carries it, obviously, but that is too expensive for me. Bill Ferguson is selling it at $1000 per 300 pounds. Don't know if that includes shipping or not. But does anyone have it at anything approaching a reasonable price?

How much do you need? Mine is a mixture of letters and grounds. They're the ground up letters ready to be re-melted and cast into new type. I can ship in a Flat Rate box for $2.00/lb. plus shipping.
Morgan

randyrat
12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Now you know what it looks like.... Monotype(BHN of 25-27) is 8 to 18 points Foundry type is 18 to 72 points.
Monotype is 9% tin
19% Antimony
Foundry type is sometimes questionably harder yet... i don't have any info on hardness of foundry type

Linotype is 4% tin
12% Antimony
BHN of about 18-19
Points are the way printers measured print size... The amounts of different alloys can differ in all of these some. If they made them softer they just would not last as long.

Quality NUt
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Greeetings fellow Pb hurlers ! ! ! Been a while since I've posted. Just can't seem to get back into to the "swing". Don't know if it's age or the road or too many other things that require attention when I do get home...
Anyway, back to the thread...
I don't know how readily available antimony (Sb) is, but creating your alloy isn't terribly difficult. If it was, I would not have had any success at it. I sent some ingots to a cousin in San Antonio a few years back. Those things had a consistent ring if dropped on concrete. As in, like steel.
I just used an old plumbers pot with a "weedburner"; put Sb granules in pot and heated until they turned shiney (liquid); then added preheated (emphasis on PREHEATED) Pb/Sn ingots.
Boy, Howdy ! ! ! Do they ever melt quick. ( I ever do it again, I'll have to get a temperature )
Any hooooo, it seemed to work for me. And I haven't heard from cousin. Don't know if that's good or bad...
Now if there was something erroneous in my technique, I would really like to hear about it.
Such a wealth of information here....
Merry Christmas to all... And please, let's remember the Reason.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-13-2008, 10:54 PM
In the spirit of Christmas, I'm lowering my price for Lino, to members of this board, to $1.75/lb., plus Priority Mail Flat Rate postage, until the first week in '09.
Cheers, Morgan :drinks:

amandaub
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
I have linotype for sale for $2.00 a lb. I'm in Bremerton, WA.

meeesterpaul
07-28-2014, 02:05 PM
I have it, and other things like foundry type, with XRF scans of the different alloys. I have enough lino, foundry type and range lead to make batches to spec and have occasional access to an XRF scanner.