PDA

View Full Version : Primers !!!

murf205
10-10-2020, 06:25 PM
Are you ready for this?? 5 bricks of small rifle primers just sold on Gunbroker for $725.00.The real insanity has begun. MidwayUsa, Graf's, and Midsouth have O primers, 22 ammo, 22WMR, 9mm, 223 and not much of anything else.

marlin39a
10-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Well, I’m fully stocked. I knew the insanity was coming.

NyFirefighter357
10-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Yep, I paid $70 for 800 CCI SRP at my LGS then realized they were magnums!

dragon813gt
10-10-2020, 07:01 PM
Where have you been for the past few months? This didn’t all of a sudden happen. And it’s not the first time its happened. I fee sorry for the people that have been planning on reloading but couldn’t for monetary reasons. I don’t feel sorry for anyone that had the means but did not plan accordingly. They are the people that try to buy a generator after the hurricane has hit.

Eddie Southgate
10-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Maybe I ought to put some on GB . Sell 100,000 now and buy 500,000 to replace them with the profit when things go back to normal . I'd still have a little more than that left of my old stock , guess I could limp along on that for a while . Always need to remember to keep more primers than you got powder .

Cargo
10-10-2020, 07:49 PM
I'm new to reloading, just started in March, but I had a feeling something bad was coming. I'm not really well off in the ammo or components department but we're sitting better than most folks I know. I tried to talk a few into reloading but they couldn't allocate funds or couldn't/wouldn't make time.

Tripplebeards
10-10-2020, 07:57 PM
My LGS has bricks in stock of LR, SR, MLR, SP, MSP, and LP CCI for $39.99. One brick of a 1000 per day and only 500 SP primers per day. They have some Bricks of Federal blue boxed primers for $39.99 a brick as well. There was plenty on the shelf of each the other day. They are only open a couple days a week and didn’t seem to be unloading them very fast. They did get a couple of panic calls on 9 mm ammo. The store received some that day and were selling them for $15 a box and limited to one box per day. I’ll go in with my pops next week when they open and we will each pick up a brick of MLR and LP. The following day I’ll probably grab another box of LR. I don’t load anything that requires SP but I might have to buy some to put away if ever cast 9mm or my 32 S&W. I don’t use CCI for anything but guess I’m going to start since it’s the only thing my LGS ever has stocked for the last decade unless I make a 2 hour round trip to Cabelas or Scheels. I was lucky enough to score 2k of Rem 7 1/2’s and 1k of Rem 9 1/2’s for a member here for the same price sportsman’s warehouse is advertising them today from a member here. That good man in my will now! Lol. After my trip to the LGS next week twice I think I should be OK for for a long time...or till the next election. I figured a minimum of at least 2k of everything should last me for a while. I’ve been well stocked for years accept for Both Remington primers and a couple of powder choices I just burnt up. At least I’ll have CCI’s from the LGS I can always trade someone for other primer brands some day if needed when I get done buying next week. I always in the past would only buy 300 to 400 primers for some goofy reason. I now buy 2 bricks when available so I don’t have an ulcer when times like these arise. New bees, I feel your pain. Imo if you can’t find a reasonable price local like my LGS has right now...knock on wood...I would tell you not to panic and use what you have. I would bet most my inventory that by next spring to early summer you’ll be buying in stock primers and powders close to pre panic prices again. The guys and gals that have been reloading for a few decades I’m sure will tell you the same.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 08:42 PM
I would bet most my inventory that by next spring to early summer you’ll be buying in stock primers and powders close to pre panic prices again.

I sure hope so and I can guarantee you one thing, I'll be stacking components and ammo deep and the wife won't give me the grief like she did earlier this year.

bedbugbilly
10-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Well . . . . let's see . . . . 5K primers for $725 equals .145 cents per primer (I didn't figure in shipping as to wasn't mentioned.) Hmmmmm . . . can anyone spell f l i n t l o c k? Crazy times . . . .

upnorthwis
10-10-2020, 09:38 PM
Couple years ago I bought 25,000 primers of various WLR, WSR, WLP, and WSP at a yard sale. Tried to sell them to gun club members for $25/1000. Sold one box in all that time. At LGS he's selling them for $60. No one realized what a bargain they were so now that they've turned in to gold I'm taking them off the sell list and keeping them.

NyFirefighter357
10-10-2020, 11:23 PM
I stopped into my LGS today no primers again. They had some powder. The normal price for the only primers they carry, Winchesters is $40 a brick, usual price for powder varies depending on company and formula but between $30-40lb. With little variety. As I stated earlier I paid about $70 for 800 CCI SRP there but I didn't notice they were magnums. If you think primers are expensive, they had used AR's at $1,600.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 11:28 PM
If you think primers are expensive, they had used AR's at $1,600.

In my neck of the woods it's easier to find a $700 AR than it is to find a Glock 19.

dtknowles
10-10-2020, 11:42 PM
Well . . . . let's see . . . . 5K primers for $725 equals .145 cents per primer (I didn't figure in shipping as to wasn't mentioned.) Hmmmmm . . . can anyone spell f l i n t l o c k? Crazy times . . . .

You mean, $0.145 per primer or 14.5 cents per primer.

Tim

LinotypeIngot
10-11-2020, 02:40 AM
I'm always shocked to see Gunbroker prices. Primers are rare, but they still sell for a lot less on certain gun forums on a regular basis.

trapper9260
10-11-2020, 05:00 AM
The hand written been on the wall for some time. Sad to see it this bad now. I think it is worst then it was back in 2010 and 2014 about into 2015 and 16.

Tripplebeards
10-11-2020, 06:30 AM
^^^^yep when the high mag capacity ban was in affect and everyone panic bought every magazine in existence over 10 rounds for the price of a second mortgage. I’m sure they felt dumb when everything went back to normal price. Same with the AR panic buy years ago(like now). Twenty to thirty dollar high capacity magazines were going for a coupe hundred dollars...if you could find one. Then Trump got into office and everyone that paid $1500 to $2500 for a DPMS Oracle was about ready to hang themselves. Most Panic buyers had buyers remorse and were all crying that they got hosed. Most around here thought they overpaid for a gold mine and keep thinking their “Smart investment” would increase in value. Lol . I can remember tons of over priced ARs trying to get unloaded and no one buying them afterwards....then then the prices hit an all time low. Manufacturers and retailers Stockpiled everything in AR thinking they were going to get rich because Hillary was going to be president and then have been wholesaling and liquidating them literally to the public the last couple years...serves em right. It’s been the best last couple years to buy anything AR anything ever.... till the first of this year with the pandemic and election causing the normal broken record panic buy and prove jump....again. In years past I can remember anything AR 10 used to be thousands of dollars. I bought a couple of complete AR 10 uppers for under $300 this past year. The stupidity will quit when the stupid people stop panic buying and overpaying. It’s the law of supply and demand. I have just conditioned myself to make sure I have everything I need in my inventory to reload and shoot the year before an election the last couple of decades. I leave the price gouging to the left wingers who are opposed to guns panic buy them to protect their toilet paper. It’s always nice to buy them for pennies on the dollar when fake news tells them the world is safe again a year later and they sell them off for pennies on the dollar. I’ve leaned to buy things I don’t need on sale over the years so I can trade back and forth for things of similar interest in tones like this if ever run out of anything. I plan on grabbing at least one more brick of large magnum pistol and magnum large rifle for $39.99 next week just because that’s my normal CCI going rate for the last couple of years here. I have only 300 LMR primers in stock and about 1300 LMP right now. I have a few thousand or more of everything else accept for small pistol primers which I don’t reload for. I f shoot my 300 and 375 RUM 300 times the way it is with my current LMR primer inventory in my lifetime I’d be shocked. But for another $40 and another 1000 primers I’m covered and don’t ever have to worry about it again. But as far as everything else everyone is looking for it’s just like the stock market. It will bounce back just like history repeats itself. I remember the last 22lR ammo panic buy a couple of years ago...and then you could walk in and buy it everywhere. For close to normal price again.

charlie b
10-11-2020, 06:55 AM
It will settle down again, just be patient. It is not the end of the world, despite what some people thing.

I am usually just amused at the panic buying of different things, and the why of it.

FWIW, I am kinda glad people buy guns at a time like this. More people who are armed the better as far as I'm concerned.

As for ammo and components, might be a bit longer this time with Remington being broken up. Hopefully they will get their ammo operation back up and running quickly.

Tripplebeards
10-11-2020, 07:02 AM
Yeah Charlie, I’m with you. The Remington primer thing scared me. I have a couple of gins that shoot .3” 200 yard groups with Remington primers. Luckily a member here gave me one heck of a deal yesterday so my unicorn primers are covered and back in inventory. I’m sure I could reinvent the world and work up and down with the same load into green increments with CCI primers till I find the sweet spot again but I didn’t wanna have to cross that path if I don’t have to. At the rate Remington is going who knows if they were going to ever make primers again. I have parts on back order from Remington warranty dept from the first of the year that I never received and probably won’t until I call whoever took takes them over when they’re back in production again.

I try and stay off gunbroker the last decade or so. I have bought some great deals on repast off of it. I picked up a 44 mag Ruger carbine and Remington 600 243 in years past. They were both buy it now options and both were in excellent shape and purchased for a lot less than local gun store prices. You just can’t to in a panic or hurry to purchase a specific item but when run into something that is such a great deal tht you just can’t pass it up it’s time to pull the trigger.

bedbugbilly
10-11-2020, 10:59 AM
Yep - you're right Tim. I should have moved the decimal point over or put a $ sign and a ) in front of it. I stand corrected.

murf205
10-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Jacketed components seem to be in decent supply in spite of panic buying. I have a good supply of components but the future is always uncertain when it comes to politics and unrest. It doesn't take a lot to sent the market into a tailspin. Remember how reasonable old Smith and Wessons were before they put a hole in the side of a revolver? That alone shot the prices of pre-lock guns up at once.

dverna
10-11-2020, 01:10 PM
I have a selfish reason to see this primer shortage get worse as I have excess inventory.

Like Eddie Southgate, I looked at selling 100k at the last gun show but decided to hold off. My thinking was that if Trump wins, prices will stay high until supply catches up (2-3 months?) and I can still sell them at a significant profit. If Biden wins, there will be more panic fueled by those who think Trump will win and things will get to normal after the election. But if Biden wins....we have no idea what normal will be...and that fuels panic.

BTW Eddie, you cannot ship primers without a HazMat certification. Do as I plan to do, and get a table at a gun show. Also, do not sell at your local gun club as it ticks people off. I experienced that during the last powder shortage from guys who knew I had stocked up and wanted powder at the price I had paid...the same couple of jerks who laughed at me for stocking up two years earlier. I did help two guys who were real friends, but I told the rest I had sold it all.

I hope Trump wins and I can sell the excess inventory for $75/1000 by the end of January. If Biden wins, $125/1000 is possible. IMHO, $40/1000 is unlikely for at least 6 months even if Trump wins.

Last thought....if Trump wins, Antifa may spin into overdrive. Then what???

inspector_17
10-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Got enough to take care of my needs, let alone 22lr. Saw fed auto match going for $40. After the last time, I swore never again.

Eddie Southgate
10-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Don,

That was my attempt at humor (wife says I'm not funny) and a small dig at those who call themselves reloaders but are always out of components a few months after things get tight . I been hoarding since the 60's and hoarders don't sell their hoard , ever . Wife says nothing I own will ever be worth anything as long as I am living because I wont ever sell it . I am way more likely to buy more than I am to sell .

Never will understand running out of primers . I can see being out of some of the powders you might want but not primers or certain key powders . I have Unique, Red Dot , 2400, Herco in large amounts because if I run out of my normal rifle powders I can always come up with a workable load from one or more of these powders for almost anything I shoot . That being said , none of them do you any good at all if you run out of primers .

I hope Trump wins for the simple fact that I absolutely detest the thought of that other Idiot and his supposed choice of a running mate controlling my government for the next four to eight years . Things are screwed up enough as it is .

Eddie

rcslotcar
10-11-2020, 02:26 PM
I'm stocked up on primers and powder for several years. I cast and swage,so let the Circus continue!!

Engineer1911
10-11-2020, 02:36 PM

Last thought....if Trump wins, Antifa may spin into overdrive. Then what???

Protecting your property and loved ones or

Target rich environment in a neighborhood near you.

In February/ March time frame I received emails from MidwayUSA and MidSouthShooters offering cases of 22 LR for $22 per brick delivered to my house (I passed). When the second email came offering $20 bricks delivered, I bought a case. I checked stock in June and both companies were OUT OF STOCK, no backorders. Amazing.

tankgunner59
10-11-2020, 03:36 PM
I'll state my post from earlier. If anyone has an enough standard SRP's and is near the Quincy, IL area, I could use 500. Our Lgs have none and no idea when they will have more in.

Froogal
10-11-2020, 04:53 PM
For what it's worth, the on-line retailers that I buy from are holding the line on prices. Yes, they are out of stock so the price really doesn't matter, but if they thought primers would remain in short supply, I'm sure the prices would be going up. I will just set and be patient and let the gougers have their fun.

dverna
10-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Protecting your property and loved ones or

Target rich environment in a neighborhood near you.

In February/ March time frame I received emails from MidwayUSA and MidSouthShooters offering cases of 22 LR for $22 per brick delivered to my house (I passed). When the second email came offering $20 bricks delivered, I bought a case. I checked stock in June and both companies were OUT OF STOCK, no backorders. Amazing.

Not much chance of a target rich environment where I live now and one reason I moved to an isolated area.

I worry about my son who lives in a suburb near Detroit. He is one of those smart ignorant types who has forsaken common sense and become a Democrat. Gave him an AR and some other toys along with enough ammunition to protect himself and the family. At least I taught him to be a decent shot.

BTW, I am also an engineer...class of 74.

brewer12345
10-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Don,

That was my attempt at humor (wife says I'm not funny) and a small dig at those who call themselves reloaders but are always out of components a few months after things get tight . I been hoarding since the 60's and hoarders don't sell their hoard , ever . Wife says nothing I own will ever be worth anything as long as I am living because I wont ever sell it . I am way more likely to buy more than I am to sell .

Never will understand running out of primers . I can see being out of some of the powders you might want but not primers or certain key powders . I have Unique, Red Dot , 2400, Herco in large amounts because if I run out of my normal rifle powders I can always come up with a workable load from one or more of these powders for almost anything I shoot . That being said , none of them do you any good at all if you run out of primers .

I hope Trump wins for the simple fact that I absolutely detest the thought of that other Idiot and his supposed choice of a running mate controlling my government for the next four to eight years . Things are screwed up enough as it is .

Eddie

I think there is an undeniable level of election risk. If the wrong party sweeps everything, I anticipate that they will go after out civil rights and I imagine most gun owners will assume the same. That means ammo and components will really become unobtanium. If we end up with (once more) a divided government, I imagine the usual suspects will throw violent temper tantrums for an extended period of time. Add in a recession, pandemic, etc. Is all of this priced in? Hard to say, but I suspect not.

I don't do flinters, but I intentionally got into percussion black powder as a hedge. Have plenty of caps, and got my hands on a cap maker and tried it out to my satisfaction. I can spend an awful lot of afternoons in the forest shooting black powder with what I have on hand.

Eddie Southgate
10-11-2020, 08:17 PM
I think there is an undeniable level of election risk. If the wrong party sweeps everything, I anticipate that they will go after out civil rights and I imagine most gun owners will assume the same. That means ammo and components will really become unobtanium. If we end up with (once more) a divided government, I imagine the usual suspects will throw violent temper tantrums for an extended period of time. Add in a recession, pandemic, etc. Is all of this priced in? Hard to say, but I suspect not.

I don't do flinters, but I intentionally got into percussion black powder as a hedge. Have plenty of caps, and got my hands on a cap maker and tried it out to my satisfaction. I can spend an awful lot of afternoons in the forest shooting black powder with what I have on hand.

Smart man . Shot Muzzleloaders before the cartridge bug bit , still got them and plenty to feed them with . Flint and Caplock both .

brewer12345
10-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Smart man . Shot Muzzleloaders before the cartridge bug bit , still got them and plenty to feed them with . Flint and Caplock both .

In the midst of a muzzleloader deer hunt right now, just taking an evening off since the river bottom we are hunting is downwind of a stock yard and there are 50 MPH winds. Never thought I would use the phrase "fecal storm," but then again it is 2020...

Hanzy4200
10-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Sadly, that's a deal for someone. I've seen CCI SP go for over $300 for 1 brick, plus shipping and Hazmat. Someone told me one went over $400 the other day.

I wish I could say we will be laughing about this in 3 months. I really don't think this one's going to just blow over. I think we are about to see unprecedented events that none of us are fully prepared for. I pray I am wrong.

Hanzy4200
10-11-2020, 10:43 PM

Yes. We are on serious trouble if Biden wins. We are also in trouble if Trump wins, and the left goes berserk. Then there's the looming financial collapse, China thinking about kicking off WW3, and of course the dreaded 2nd wave of the Rona. It's going to be...…….interesting.

Tripplebeards
10-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Sadly, that's a deal for someone. I've seen CCI SP go for over $300 for 1 brick, plus shipping and Hazmat. Someone told me one went over $400 the other day.

I wish I could say we will be laughing about this in 3 months. I really don't think this one's going to just blow over. I think we are about to see unprecedented events that none of us are fully prepared for. I pray I am wrong.

I just looked on GB...Ridiculous. CCI SP is in stock down the road from me for $39.99 a brick....with a limit of a half a brick a day. All other size primers limited to one brick a day and the same price. No gouging. I opened up my boxes to do a real count on primers yesterday. I’m down to 200 LMR so I’ll grab a brick tomorrow. Anything other then SP are limited to to one brick a day. They are only opened two days a week. I plan on taking someone with with me and giving them cash to grab a brick of LP for me as I’m down to just over a brick in my inventory. I might go back the 2nd day just to grab some SP in case I end up buying a mold for my 9mm and another brick of LR since I only have one brick right now. I’d like to keep 2k of everything on hand I guess. I figure I’ll keep going in and grabbing a box of something till they are out. I’m sure they will run out soon enough like everyone else. At least if I’m stocked up I can always trade someone for other size or brand primers when the next drought hits.

I guess what does everyone consider a normal amount of primers to keep on hand...that isn’t considered hoarding? I’m going to try to always keep at minimum of least 2k of everything I load for form now on.

USSR
10-12-2020, 09:15 AM
There's no normal amount of primers, although having enough to last you for at least 2 years has a nice ring to it. Hoarding is when you're buying them up during a shortage (and paying exorbitant prices), while stocking up when supplies are plentiful and prices are normal is just plain being smart.

Don

fredj338
10-12-2020, 03:53 PM
When people start paying $500 per 1000, I might be a seller.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Have not been to my lgs in a few weeks. Almost afraid to look. They were getting pretty low on primers but were still selling them for 35/1000. They seemed to have plenty of powder though. I think the closer to a big city you are the more depleted it is.

44Blam
10-13-2020, 02:10 AM
When people start paying $500 per 1000, I might be a seller.

I save all my old primers. I've got a large trash bag of 'em. I just keep dumping them in the same bag. When it is $500 per 1000, I'll become a chemist! ;)

monkey wrangler
10-13-2020, 04:02 AM
I guess what does everyone consider a normal amount of primers to keep on hand...that isn’t considered hoarding? I’m going to try to always keep at minimum of least 2k of everything I load for form now on.[/QUOTE]

I would say a normal supply of primers would be what you consume in 2 to 5 years. I have towards the 2 year mark but it will definitely get bumped up towards the 5 year mark after the dust settles. Might even start working on the life time supply and just hedge my bets and lock in current prices because ammo and parts for ammo seem to have a little higher inflation rate than most other things.

Traffer
10-13-2020, 04:17 AM
Primers can be reloaded

a.squibload
10-13-2020, 04:48 AM
Primers can be reloaded

Yep, works pretty good. Soon roll caps for toy guns will be very valuable!
I have a friend who works at Wally World, guess we should buy more of those.
The German ones are good.

I have thousands of primers that I can't use for reloading.
They're already loaded in ammo.
Don't worry have plenty more.
Had to get another lockbox for ammo. It's full already.
Is it a hobby or an obsession? I asked my therapist.
She said "There's no cure but it would help if you go shootin' more often".

OK just kiddin'! I don't have a therapist.

Tripplebeards
10-13-2020, 06:29 AM
^^^^though I was the only one. I have a couple of 3’ foot long totes...and then some....all full of loaded ammo. Collected and loaded over the years...besides all my reloading components. My LGS opens today so I’ll be getting a few more CCIs.

fredj338
10-13-2020, 12:42 PM
^^^^though I was the only one. I have a couple of 3’ foot long totes...and then some....all full of loaded ammo. Collected and loaded over the years...besides all my reloading components. My LGS opens today so I’ll be getting a few more CCIs.

THis is why I dont keep more than 500rds or so of any caliber loaded. Then my components are gone & I may need them for a diff caliber.

gwpercle
10-13-2020, 02:13 PM
Well, I’m fully stocked. I knew the insanity was coming.

After 2013 I saw the "Handwriting On The Wall" and it said ...Shortages every few years ...This is the New Normal . It's going to happen again .
Rule #1 : In times of plenty ...Buy All You Can .
Rule #2 : Stock Deep .
Gary

RoyEllis
10-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Ya'll missed out in early 2019 when almost every co. had rebates on components. Spread purchases among other folks & invested in 50K each size primer but only got 10K 209s. Counting the rebates, I could sell 30% of my stash & still double my money easy but gonna hold awhile & see (election results).

Tripplebeards
10-13-2020, 02:54 PM
THis is why I dont keep more than 500rds or so of any caliber loaded. Then my components are gone & I may need them for a diff caliber.

Yep, I agree. I lot of loaded up ladder tests never tested, a bunch of 44 mag plinking rounds, a tote full of 10 and 12 gauge factory loaded shell, and tons of proven hunting loads never fired. I may some day pull quite a bit down down to re use the powder, bullets, and primers.

hwilliam01
10-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Yep, I paid $70 for 800 CCI SRP at my LGS then realized they were magnums!

I have been looking for Small Rifle Magnums to load up some 454 Casul rifle rounds. I have lots of Small Rifle (regular) primers and don't use them much. Too bad we weren't closer, we could trade.

Tripplebeards
10-13-2020, 05:01 PM
I just made a 2nd trip with my pops since the limit is 1000 primers per person per day AND and option to purchase an additional 500 SP primers per person per day. The last brick of cci 200 was still there from this morning but opened and minus 100 primers. I added a 100 cci 250's to tally up the 1k per day primer limit. I had pops buy another 500, SP cci 500. So we got the rest of the brick from this morning including the brick carton it came in. All the rest of the primers from this morning were still there accept for the 100 missing from the cci 200's I was buying. When I walked in to the store there was a guy staring up and down studying the primer selection. I gave him some time to get what he wanted since even though my pops was doing (and will be using a lot if my primers) the purchasing for me and it was my 2nd time in. He picked up a few bricks to look at and put them back down. I figured I gave him enough time after 2 minutes of procrastinating so I walked up and grabbed the last partial brick of 200's on the end of the display. Someone bought 100 of them from this morning. I then grabbed one loose box of 100 LMR cci 250’s to tally the 1k limit for my pops. He of course asked what I primers I grabbed and then started gabbing primers frantically off the shelf to look at all of them again still not knowing what he wanted. He ended grabbing the 2 other loose boxes of 100 LMR primers below the one I bought and told me he could probably use the magnums for something. No bricks for him. So 300 primers were sold today at the LGS besides the 3k I bought. I confirmed with the owner. Either people have stocked up, given up, or are in the same mental mid state I was 20 years ago and buy 100 to 300 at a time. I'll go back tomorrow and buy one more brick of LMP if they have it in stock yet and another 500 SP primers. If they are out of LMP I will get 900 more LMR primers to go with my 100 I picked up today.

https://i.imgur.com/rsLnQGc.jpg

I just talked with my buddy in AZ.
He bought three bricks of LR and SP all in the same store a few minutes ago. They just received a truckload of Federersl SP match primers for $52 a brick.

I think I just live in a more "economical" community that the LGS primers selection is not selling a brick at time...knock on wood.

Traffer
10-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Yep, works pretty good. Soon roll caps for toy guns will be very valuable!
I have a friend who works at Wally World, guess we should buy more of those.
The German ones are good.

I have thousands of primers that I can't use for reloading.
They're already loaded in ammo.
Don't worry have plenty more.
Had to get another lockbox for ammo. It's full already.
Is it a hobby or an obsession? I asked my therapist.
She said "There's no cure but it would help if you go shootin' more often".

OK just kiddin'! I don't have a therapist.

Toy caps have been off the market now for over a year. Maybe not the really cheap bad ones but the good ones. The caplock guys use them...now they are going to have to do something different. BUT there are MANY ways of making priming compound.

Tripplebeards
10-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Just came back from another round. No one bought any more primers...again. I bought the last brick of cci 350 I was eyeing up yesterday. I was told there was one brick of SP left but was saved for someone. I'm sure my SP primer retailer ran dry....probably just for me.lol. But...They had varget in stock! My holy grain of 35 Rem cast boolit powder I couldn’t find a few months back. After everyone had been standing there for a good 5 minutes staring at the powders and primers while not picking up or buying anything I made a comment that they had Varget in stock again. The first guy standing there freaked and frankly asked how many they had and said he would buy them all...Lord. The owner said there was no limit on powder and let him buy the 3 on his shelf. They guy kept asking how many they had on hand after that and was told twice he wasnt going to let him buy any more even though he had another case. After that person paid up and left the owner handed me a pound of Varget and told me I better buy it.lol...I did. He asked me If he should put a 1 pound a day limit on Varget. I said it would be a good idea. They had TB for $21. He told me to buy both of them. I did and then he put up a 1 pound a day powder limit and told me to get my butt to the counter to cash out my 3 pounds before someone saw.

I just have to get a brick of cci 250 LMR and I'm done stocking up on primers.

https://i.imgur.com/rM5lMfV.jpg

They are out of LR and SP now and have about 3/400 LMP left. There are about 7 bricks of each of LMP and and SMP CCI’s left and few bricks of Federal LP.

Tripplebeards
10-14-2020, 03:40 PM
I picked up a brick of cci 250s today for $39.99 and I'm calling it good. If I ever end up running into small pistol primers in years to come I'll get a couple more thousand.

Cargo
10-14-2020, 05:22 PM
They had TB for $21.

https://i.imgur.com/rM5lMfV.jpg

$21 for the 9oz bottle, ugh...

USSR
10-14-2020, 06:17 PM
$21 for the 9oz bottle, ugh...

Darn near $40 a pound! Double ugh.

Don

Cargo
10-14-2020, 07:09 PM
I just called one of my go to shops.

Absolutely no primers at all, no Unique and no Green Dot but he did have two 14oz bottles of 700X for $24.99 each. He's holding them for me until I can get over there Friday.

curdog
10-14-2020, 07:17 PM
I got 200 number 11 caps at a local farm store today,I was happy.............................Curdog

Tripplebeards
10-14-2020, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I thought that was a good buy on trail boss compared to most retail prices I’ve seen in the past. The last time I bought it I paid around $27. It looks like it’s about $3/$4 More a pound than a lot of of on line prices. Oh well, they gave me a good deal on primers. The thing with TB is the powder is it weighs less but takes up a good amount of case space to compensate for the light weight powder. The powder looks like tittle round wafers or donuts. I use a 5.2 grain load for my colt 45 so it goes a long ways. It’s also been non existent around here the last couple of years.

USSR
10-14-2020, 09:16 PM
The thing with TB is the powder is it weighs less but takes up a good amount of case space to compensate for the light weight powder.

Red Dot is a less dense powder that takes up a lot of case space as well, and is a much more useful powder than Trail Boss.

Don

brewer12345
10-14-2020, 10:48 PM
Red Dot is a less dense powder that takes up a lot of case space as well, and is a much more useful powder than Trail Boss.

Don

Never fooled with 700X, but I consider TB to be very versatile with cast boolits. I consider it to be a must have powder. I found that with 2.2 grains of TB, I get a very accurate and soft shooting wadcutter load in 38 special. I think I would run out of primers before TB.

EDK
10-15-2020, 01:11 AM
PROMO is an expensive variation/clone of RED DOT. It uses the same data. It is only available in 8 pound bottles.
I use it in 9mm...on my second bottle in 3 years.

chickenpot
10-15-2020, 02:14 AM
Natchez, Midway, and Bass Pro/Cabelas have been consistently stocking primers though they sell out reeealll fast. Some clever folks have set up a reloading discord channel that will pop up notifications when something comes instock though you have to act fast, as in already have an account with addresses and payment info. Grabbed 5k cci 400's from Natchez the other day for pre-panic prices ($32/1000)

762 shooter
10-15-2020, 07:22 AM
I used to think that 4 years worth of components was safe.

My current stocking theory is the last components I buy may be the last components I am able to buy.

I will never sell excess. In these times, the new normal may be that components are not available or never cheaper.

If I am wrong, I have to look at a bunch of stored components. If I am right, I have to look at a bunch of stored components.

Tripplebeards
10-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Natchez, Midway, and Bass Pro/Cabelas have been consistently stocking primers though they sell out reeealll fast. Some clever folks have set up a reloading discord channel that will pop up notifications when something comes instock though you have to act fast, as in already have an account with addresses and payment info. Grabbed 5k cci 400's from Natchez the other day for pre-panic prices ($32/1000)

Did they offer free shipping or did you pay a hazmat fee and tax on top of it? If so your primers cost more than $32 per K. By the time I pay gas, shipping, and hazmat the “cheap” prices are not cheap anymore. No one is tax exempt and now every internet sale gets taxed...which IMO sucks. I got lucky and bought mine 2 minutes from the house. If not I have to drive 2 hours back and forth with my gas Guzzling truck to go on a primer, powder, and bullet run. About $45 or more on gas to save a few bucks. It’s just nice to have some in my personal inventory now no matter what I paid. I have about 15k in my personal stash now so I am done looking and my primer ulcer is over...accept for SP....if I start loading for them. I’m sure I live off my one brick since all I own is a 32s&w and one 9mm that uses them. I’d rather shoot one of my MLP wheel guns. I picked up 7k of all size CCI’s from my LGS for $39.99 a brick in the 2 days.

Froogal
10-15-2020, 07:37 AM
Did they offer free shipping or did you pay a hazmat fee and tax on top of it? If so your primers cost more than $32 per K. By the time I pay gas, shipping, and hazmat the “cheap” prices are not cheap anymore. No one is tax exempt and now every internet sale gets taxed...which IMO sucks. I got lucky and bought mine 2 minutes from the house. If not I have to drive 2 hours back and forth with my gas Guzzling truck to go on a primer run. About $45 or more on gas to save a few bucks. It’s just nice to have some in my personal inventory now no matter what I paid. I have about 15k in my personal stash now so I am done looking. I picked up 7k of all size CCI’s from my LGS for $39.99 a brick in the 2 days.

The closest place to me where I can buy reloading components is a Bass Pro, and it is a 100 mile trip. For that reason, I do not mind paying for shipping and haz-mat.

Tripplebeards
10-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Makes complete sense...I feel your pain because my LGS usually doesn’t have what I need 99.9% of the time. I wish I had some local reloaders to split shipping with. I still usually drive my 100 round trip for Scheels and Cabelas for powder and primers when I get the time. If not I bite the “bullet” and pay hazmat myself. I normally drive by Cabelas once a month when visiting relatives . Cabelas never has any powders or primers in stock I use in the last couple of years. They also removed the option to “ship to store” for powder and primers so I can pick them up on the way through like I’ve done over the last 20 years. There is no pricing listed on line for the option to purchase on line and ship to store any more either! It’s completely ridiculous now. I am hating Cabelas since Bass Pro bought them out and now makes trying to buy from them even worse.

Shawlerbrook
10-15-2020, 07:54 AM
Have a similar problem as froogal. Even in good times we have very few shops that sell reloading components around here. I would not guarantee that things will ever get back to “normal” , especially if the D’s sweep the election. At 63, I am pretty close to set for life, thank God.
Vote ! Vote ! Vote !

Tripplebeards
10-15-2020, 08:05 AM
So what is a life supply considered for primers? In the last couple of weeks I probably stocked up to approx to almost 15k for myself. Previous to two weeks ago I about 1500 SR, 300 LR, 200 LMR, 100 LMP, and zero SP. I would have been in a bind if I wouldn’t have started buying up a few bricks imo. I use to be “that guy” who bought 300/500 at a time. I have ordered primers once. Two bricks of AR small rifle. I read about the drought here...so thanks guys. I now have...or a little more of...5k of SR, 4K of LR, 1k of LMR, 3k of LMP, and 1k of SP plus a few others. I am less worried about my primer inventory now. If no ever produces them again small pistol will be an issue for me some day. I don’t competitively shoot so these are for my person hunting and plinking inventory.

charlie b
10-15-2020, 08:21 AM
How much you need is related to how much you shoot, or plan to shoot.

If you like combat pistol competition or cowboy you may go through a thousand or more a month. I go though about 300 rifle primers a month. I only shoot pistol to stay 'current' so a few hundred a year.

Loaded ammo I keep on hand only enough to defend myself and family (and that quantity is up to you as well). The rest I load and shoot as I go. It is recreational so if I can't get components I just don't go shooting. Not a big deal.

Tripplebeards
10-15-2020, 09:05 AM
My LGS did have about 5 bricks of SMP sitting there yet. I’ll see if any are left next week when they open again. I didn’t realize I could use them in my 9mm with lower pressured loads. So if I get a brick or two of them I’m sure I lll be set for a long time.

Froogal
10-15-2020, 09:36 AM
How much you need is related to how much you shoot, or plan to shoot.

If you like combat pistol competition or cowboy you may go through a thousand or more a month. I go though about 300 rifle primers a month. I only shoot pistol to stay 'current' so a few hundred a year.

Loaded ammo I keep on hand only enough to defend myself and family (and that quantity is up to you as well). The rest I load and shoot as I go. It is recreational so if I can't get components I just don't go shooting. Not a big deal.

The cowboy shooting group I belong to holds 6 events per year. I go through approximately 100 rounds each time, and my wife does the same, so that is 200 rounds per event time 6 equals 1,200 rounds, and that does not count what we go through while plinking and practicing at home. She shoots .38s, small pistol primers, and I shoot .45 Colt, large primers. We also shoot some 9mm, so that doubles the amount of small primers needed. I can easily use up a brick of each size in just one season. A lifetime supply would be approximately one truck load.

dverna
10-15-2020, 09:55 AM
So what is a life supply considered for primers? In the last couple of weeks I probably stocked up to approx to almost 15k for myself. Previous to two weeks ago I about 1500 SR, 300 LR, 200 LMR, 100 LMP, and zero SP. I would have been in a bind if I wouldn’t have started buying up a few bricks imo. I use to be “that guy” who bought 300/500 at a time. I have ordered primers once. Two bricks of AR small rifle. I read about the drought here...so thanks guys. I now have...or a little more of...5k of SR, 4K of LR, 1k of LMR, 3k of LMP, and 1k of SP plus a few others. I am less worried about my primer inventory now. If no ever produces them again small pistol will be an issue for me some day. I don’t competitively shoot so these are for my person hunting and plinking inventory.

Lifetime supply.

How much do you plan to shoot?
How long do you plan to shoot?
Do you care about providing for others after your death?

It is easy to determine a lifetime supply.

If you are a "butterfly" and shoot all sorts of stuff, and your interests change every couple of years, it is more of a challenge. So sit down and do some thinking.

I do not recommend having a lot of loaded ammunition around for stuff you can reload especially if you are prone to changing shooting interests. A 4-12 month supply is plenty. For stuff you cannot, or do not reload, it will vary. For example, we like shooting .22's and have over 20k rounds; but I do not shoot a lot of slugs so 150-260 is all I stock. If the SHTF, I have a 12 ga mold and could reload for it.

You can make it easier by keying in on calibers that are versatile and use the same powders. IHMO I will never need any other rifle calibers than the .223 and .308, and they use the same powders. I have about 50 lbs of rifle powder for full power jacketed loads. Note that these are "forgiving" calibers and will work with a large range of powders, but I still only focus on stocking two powders...KISS I think people are silly to buy one or two pounds of powder to shrink group size by 1/4" for one bullet/load. That is a "want" not a need and should be address as such. If you can afford it and want it...go for it. I have no need for a "one trick pony"

With pistols I take the same approach. In my case, I have seven .38/.357 guns so that caliber establishes my "base". It uses powders that I can use in the 9mm. 40 and .45's so little compromise is necessary. I can survive forever with one or two pistol powders. And those are what I stock...."hoard".

Whatever calibers you use as your "base" make them popular ones as they are usually well supported. As to components, powders that have stood the test of time are likely to be good choices. One of my stocking pistol powders was 231/HP38 but I got a great deal on CleanShot and bought 30 pounds (enough for over 40k rounds). Even if it is discontinued, it will not affect me. But the advantage of HP38 is that it is likely to be around for a long time and if you can only afford one or two jugs a year you can gradually build up your lifetime supply. BTW, the reason I have not tried CleanShot yet is I am still working my way though my stock of HP38. I had a 5-10 year supply of HP38 at the time but took advantage of the cheaper alternative.

I used to drink the Kool-aid. I have 29 different powders on the shelf from years of "the quest". These are the only powders I really need

Promo/Red Dot (pistol, shotgun and cast rifle)
CleanShot or HP38/231 (pistol)
Unique (pistol, shotgun and cast rifle)
H4985 (rifle and reduced loads)
Varget or 4064 (rifle)

chickenpot
10-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Did they offer free shipping or did you pay a hazmat fee and tax on top of it? If so your primers cost more than $32 per K. By the time I pay gas, shipping, and hazmat the “cheap” prices are not cheap anymore. No one is tax exempt and now every internet sale gets taxed...which IMO sucks. I got lucky and bought mine 2 minutes from the house. If not I have to drive 2 hours back and forth with my gas Guzzling truck to go on a primer, powder, and bullet run. About $45 or more on gas to save a few bucks. It’s just nice to have some in my personal inventory now no matter what I paid. I have about 15k in my personal stash now so I am done looking and my primer ulcer is over...accept for SP....if I start loading for them. I’m sure I live off my one brick since all I own is a 32s&w and one 9mm that uses them. I’d rather shoot one of my MLP wheel guns. I picked up 7k of all size CCI’s from my LGS for $39.99 a brick in the 2 days.

Yeah of course there was hazmat. Just commenting on the base price and throwing some interest bait out there for those of us that havent seen primers on a shelf at a LGS in months. Dont mind paying over $200 for 5k when that's the going price for 1K on certain auction sites. Ive never been tax exempt for anything in my life in fact i get taxed on literally every purchase I make everywhere one way or another, so i wouldnt know what that feels like. Can we all consider non-consentual tax to be theft, and stop allowing it?

robertbank
10-15-2020, 01:20 PM
The component manufacturers must love the Democrats. Every time the future looks like a Democrat is going to win the White House Americans go crazy buying everything in sight....for what? Personally I think your Republic can withstand a Democrat in the White House from time to time. Next election we will go Conservative for a couple of terms before going Liberal again. Nothing changes much. Just the lips that are moving. From this side of the 49th it look like crazy has taken over common sense. Politicians take themselves way to seriously and we are not all that far behind.

In saying that I do have over 110K of SP primers and 5K of large pistol. I also have a smattering of LR to feed my .303 Longbranch to fend off the zombies. Primers are not scarce but the variety is going away. Prices are on the rise though and that is not going to change anytime soon I am afraid.

Take Care

Bob

charlie b
10-15-2020, 05:17 PM
I used to drink the Kool-aid. I have 29 different powders on the shelf from years of "the quest". These are the only powders I really need

Promo/Red Dot (pistol, shotgun and cast rifle)
CleanShot or HP38/231 (pistol)
Unique (pistol, shotgun and cast rifle)
H4985 (rifle and reduced loads)
Varget or 4064 (rifle)

I also narrowed down my powders to just a few. Also narrowed down my firearms to just a few (.357, 45acp, 9mm, .223, .308, .30-06)

I have two pistol powders (700-x and Blue Dot) and three rifle powders (Varget, IMR 4166 and 3031) that I use on a regular basis and I can reload for everything I have.

PS I also figured out I could use small pistol magnum primers for the .223, .357 and 9mm so I am down to three types of primer instead of 4 or 5.

USSR
10-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Personally I think your Republic can withstand a Democrat in the White House from time to time.

That's easy for you to say, Bob, without a 2nd Amendment to be eviscerated.

Don

Vinne
10-15-2020, 06:27 PM
I have been telling all my friends for a long time to stock up. You can never have too many supplies after all they don't take up much space. Just keep then sealed and they will last a very long time.

Walter Laich
10-15-2020, 06:28 PM
remember on gunbroker most of the sellers are starting the prices low.

It's the potetial buyers that are running up the prices.

robertbank
10-15-2020, 06:54 PM

Don

Wont happen the 2nd amendment requires 39 States to agree and that is not going to happen any time soon. Obama did nothing and he could have in his first term. But you are right we have our own issues up here with Trudeau.

Take care

Bob

charlie b
10-15-2020, 08:36 PM
...Personally I think your Republic can withstand a Democrat in the White House from time to time. Next election we will go Conservative for a couple of terms before going Liberal again. Nothing changes much. Just the lips that are moving. From this side of the 49th it look like crazy has taken over common sense. Politicians take themselves way to seriously and we are not all that far behind.

A lot of us feel the same way down here. It would be nice to completely clean house, but, that is not likely.

I have a wild theory that neither side wants to get rid of guns.....simply because it is a great campaign topic. A dem can get elected by passing a magazine limit and a rep can get elected by keeping semi-auto rifles. Dems in this part of the country campaign with guns (hunting types). Why change a good thing? :)

robertbank
10-15-2020, 09:29 PM
A lot of us feel the same way down here. It would be nice to completely clean house, but, that is not likely.

I have a wild theory that neither side wants to get rid of guns.....simply because it is a great campaign topic. A dem can get elected by passing a magazine limit and a rep can get elected by keeping semi-auto rifles. Dems in this part of the country campaign with guns (hunting types). Why change a good thing? :)

Exactly. To give some of you a better feeling consider this. When the Conservatives up here got rid of the Long Gun Registry not one Liberal mentioned it when they got back in power. Trudeau has said he is detrmined to ban "Assault rifles" up here. Never mind we don't own "assault rifles", he won't get it done until his mandate ends. He loses the election which is almost certain he will, we will never hear about it again. The Conservatives will reverse his Order in Council and we will all get back to playing with our 9MM "assault rifles". Trudeau will have milked the subject as far as he can. You guys are a bit different in that you have the 2nd amendment. Each side can attack or defend it depending upon whose base they are talking to. Politicians are the same all over. They lie when their lips move. A bit of a diversion but heck we need that once in awhile we are all tired of staying at home.

Take Care

Bob

USSR
10-15-2020, 09:38 PM

Don

Wont happen the 2nd amendment requires 39 States to agre and that is not going to happen any time siin.

The key word is "eviscerate", not eliminate. Laws get passed which hinder the clear intent of the 2nd Amendment, and these laws sometimes go to the Supreme Court for a decision as to their constitutionality. Presidents make appointments to the Supreme Court, subject to the approval of the Senate. The Heller case was decided in our favor by a mere 5-4 majority. So, as a serious gun rights advocate, I cannot take your lackadaisical attitude towards politics.

Don

John Boy
10-15-2020, 09:42 PM
How many cases of toilet paper do you have left ... same with primers

robertbank
10-16-2020, 01:51 AM
How many cases of toilet paper do you have left ... same with primers

In a little town like Terrace the toilet paper flew off the shelves faster than Mexican food through the intestines. Lasted until the next Safeway truck arrived and now the world has returned to normal with shelves full of soft softer, softest. LOL I have a friend with at least 25K rds of .223 loaded and ready. I call him target.

Take Care

Bob

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 07:36 AM
In a little town like Terrace the toilet paper flew off the shelves faster than Mexican food through the intestines. Lasted until the next Safeway truck arrived and now the world has returned to normal with shelves full of soft softer, softest. LOL I have a friend with at least 25K rds of .223 loaded and ready. I call him target.

Take Care

Bob

Does he have a barn full of TP as well?

Also reminds me of our high capacity magazine ban...that didn’t last. But buy was the public buying up $30 mags for $300 to $1200! I still have a couple of 30 round mags NIB for my P85 mark 11 and a bunch of 30 plus ar mags I picked for for $20 each so I can get rich the next time it happens. Imo stupidity at its finest. People making laws they no knowledge about. I’m waiting for the day someone goes on a mass killing spree with a fork. Will will all be trying to eat with only knives and spoons after the fork ban takes place. Son, son...I remember the day we all ate with forks...lol.

I’m waiting for a primer ban now.

Shawlerbrook
10-16-2020, 07:50 AM
Agreed 100% with Don/USSR. No outright bans, but registration, limits on what and how many you can buy, insurance, training, taxes, etc. They will put so many hoops and expense that many will just give up. Ask me how I know.....I live in NYS with one party rule where buying a handgun requires permission, background checks for private sales, AR and magazine bans and/or registration and no online ammo sales. VOTE , VOTE ! VOTE !

robertbank
10-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Agreed 100% with Don/USSR. No outright bans, but registration, limits on what and how many you can buy, insurance, training, taxes, etc. They will put so many hoops and expense that many will just give up. Ask me how I know.....I live in NYS with one party rule where buying a handgun requires permission, background checks for private sales, AR and magazine bans and/or registration and no online ammo sales. VOTE , VOTE ! VOTE !

We don't have it quite that bad but it isn't great either. Ip here some of the legislation did help. While safe storage laws would seem redundant to many of us who took precautions when our children were young, after the legislation mandated how firearms were to be stored in the home, accidental deaths and shootings in the home were virtually eliminated. There were not many anyway, and I am sure not all complied but most did. What to me was pretty obvious I guess eluded some. Most of the offensive legislation makes little to no sense. Most of it draws on the emotional element within us all. If it overtakes your rational thought the laws make sense. If it doesn't you realize that most of the legislation has no affect on crime rates at all. LIke some have saidm "There is nothing more persistent than a Liberal with a bad idea".

Hoarding 25,000+ primers when you shoot <a thousand rounds a year is irrational if not just silly. This is particularly true if you are over 60. I am 75 and that would make it just stupid.

Take Care

Bob

Cargo
10-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Local area primers were found at $50-52 per box. It wasn't a terrible day.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Cargo300/p/eb6fcbd7-4049-4a40-83bd-c2208c93c436

robertbank
10-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Yikes 65.67Cdn I hope that is not what we are looking at in the future.

Take Care

Bob

charlie b
10-17-2020, 08:01 AM
......Hoarding 25,000+ primers when you shoot <a thousand rounds a year is irrational if not just silly. This is particularly true if you are over 60. I am 75 and that would make it just stupid.

Take Care

Bob

I agree, unless you are a prepper type. For an all out govt breakdown then things like booze, drugs and ammo will be the currency of the day. And, no, I am not a prepper. A couple thousand primers is more than enough for me.

USSR
10-17-2020, 08:44 AM
Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
......Hoarding 25,000+ primers when you shoot <a thousand rounds a year is irrational if not just silly. This is particularly true if you are over 60. I am 75 and that would make it just stupid.

I agree, unless you are a prepper type. For an all out govt breakdown then things like booze, drugs and ammo will be the currency of the day. And, no, I am not a prepper. A couple thousand primers is more than enough for me.

Call me an optimist. While I am 70, I hope to be shooting for the next 25 years. So, my stash of primers at pre-shortage prices are like money in the bank. Anyone think primers bought in the past few years will be cheaper in a year or two?

Don

kevin c
10-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Like many things it takes some discipline. Mainly the financial type, to set aside money over time, perhaps at the cost of foregoing other purchases, and not touch it except for its intended purpose, to buy components when prices are good. Not always easy.

robertbank
10-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Don if your parents were active when they were 95 God Bless them and good luck to you. If they weren't I would reassess what you can expect at 95. AT our age it seems to me to be thinking why put off today for something as far out as what you may be doing when you are 95. This trip does have an ending to it. All the best I hope you make it. I'll buy you a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey and we can drink it together.

Take Care

Bob

dverna
10-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Don if your parents were active when they were 95 God Bless them and good luck to you. If they weren't I would reassess what you can expect at 95. AT our age it seems to me to be thinking why put off today for something as far out as what you may be doing when you are 95. This trip does have an ending to it. All the best I hope you make it. I'll buy you a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey and we can drink it together.

Take Care

Bob

My dad died at 67 and my mom is 97. I am 70 and look like I am 60.

I have way more than 25k primers...in fact I plan to sell 100k shortly after the election when I expect prices to peak. During the last shortage, I made a better ROI on .22's, ammunition and components than I did on my IRA and RRSP (Canadians will know what that is).

Ammunition and components are an excellent investment if you look at the last 10 years. Unlike the stock market, marketing timing is less volatile. And when prices peak, they stay that way for a long time. It is comforting to look at my stash of stuff and know it will never go down in value.

Froogal
10-17-2020, 04:46 PM
Like many things it takes some discipline. Mainly the financial type, to set aside money over time, perhaps at the cost of foregoing other purchases, and not touch it except for its intended purpose, to buy components when prices are good. Not always easy.

I never even got into shooting until I was retired and knew the money was not needed for something else.

MT Gianni
10-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Mother died a few weeks short of 92, Dad at 94. I expect to live a long time but will be shocked if I am still shooting at age 85. I am 66 and have lost so much vision and skills in the last ten years I doubt I would be much more than recreational then. Also attitudes and hobbies change.

USSR
10-17-2020, 07:57 PM
All the best I hope you make it. I'll buy you a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey and we can drink it together.

No whiskey for me, Bob, if I'm gonna live to 95.:wink: But I'd gladly drink a German or Czech pilsner with you. Is Staropramen still available in Canada? Fell in love with it on my European trips, and they stopped importing it into the U.S. about 5 years ago.

Don

robertbank
10-17-2020, 10:15 PM
My dad died at 67 and my mom is 97. I am 70 and look like I am 60.

I have way more than 25k primers...in fact I plan to sell 100k shortly after the election when I expect prices to peak. During the last shortage, I made a better ROI on .22's, ammunition and components than I did on my IRA and RRSP (Canadians will know what that is).

Ammunition and components are an excellent investment if you look at the last 10 years. Unlike the stock market, marketing timing is less volatile. And when prices peak, they stay that way for a long time. It is comforting to look at my stash of stuff and know it will never go down in value.

I have to say the bolded comment is not correct. The US dollar is falling taking ours with it. Look at your grocery bill, the cost of a vehicle and you will see the dollar does not purchase what it once did. Yes you will have more dollars but they will be worth less. Your GOP and Democrats have discovered what our Prime Minister has you can fool people by just printing money. Life is good until the bill collector comes a calling in the form of inflation. You are not a prepper you are a speculator In wartime the Gov't would lock you up but in peacetime fill your boots,

Take Care
Bob

la5676
10-17-2020, 10:43 PM
I have way more than 25k primers...in fact I plan to sell 100k shortly after the election when I expect prices to peak.

Is that called selling short? Selling more than you have on hand? I've got every bit of that on hand, but I ain't sellin' nuthin.

Just sayin'

abunaitoo
10-17-2020, 11:36 PM
I have a stash of primers to last a long time.
Buy a case whenever I can find a good deal.
Been doing it for years.
Store them in 20mm ammo cans with a few bags of desiccant.
Have some really old primers that still work fine.
Friend used to pull primers.
Gave me a bunch of them.
Some work, some don't.
I wonder if t will come down to this.

elmacgyver0
10-18-2020, 12:05 AM
I really don't know how many primers I have.
Seriously doubt it's more than 25k but know it's got to be more than 10k.
Spose I should count them but I would probably forget by tomorrow.

a.squibload
10-20-2020, 03:49 PM
I got 1000 LR primers at a LGS a few days ago for $53, LR was all they had.
Shoulda left 'em but I was gettin powder anyway. Just went there to look around
with a friend, knew I would end up buyin somethin!

Too bad about the roll caps, haven't looked at that in a while, experimented with
reloading primers a few years ago & forgot all about it.

LiveSteamer
10-21-2020, 12:17 PM
I am in my early 80's, still shooting, still reloading, perhaps with less gusto than previous years. Up until Bill Clinton was elected president, I keep a limited amount of factory ammo and reloading supplies on hand, simply because they were readily available from multiple sources. When I saw the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban coming I changed my inventory philosophy. I bought several new guns that would be "outlawed" with the ban. I also began acquiring factory ammo and reloading components at a modest, but steady pace. Several times a month I would drop by my LGS or attend a gun show and buy a box or two of factory ammo or a brick of primers, or pound of powder, as long as the prices were reasonable. I've been doing that ever since and have successfully built up a decent inventory. Buy a little at a time when you can find it and prices are reasonable.

USSR
10-21-2020, 04:42 PM
I am in my early 80's, still shooting, still reloading, perhaps with less gusto than previous years. Up until Bill Clinton was elected president, I keep a limited amount of factory ammo and reloading supplies on hand, simply because they were readily available from multiple sources. When I saw the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban coming I changed my inventory philosophy. I bought several new guns that would be "outlawed" with the ban. I also began acquiring factory ammo and reloading components at a modest, but steady pace. Several times a month I would drop by my LGS or attend a gun show and buy a box or two of factory ammo or a brick of primers, or pound of powder, as long as the prices were reasonable. I've been doing that ever since and have successfully built up a decent inventory. Buy a little at a time when you can find it and prices are reasonable.

LiveSteamer,

You are a VERY smart man. Hope you are still shooting in your 90's.

Don

dondiego
10-21-2020, 09:02 PM
[/B]

I have to say the bolded comment is not correct. The US dollar is falling taking ours with it. Look at your grocery bill, the cost of a vehicle and you will see the dollar does not purchase what it once did. Yes you will have more dollars but they will be worth less. Your GOP and Democrats have discovered what our Prime Minister has you can fool people by just printing money. Life is good until the bill collector comes a calling in the form of inflation. You are not a prepper you are a speculator In wartime the Gov't would lock you up but in peacetime fill your boots,

Take Care
Bob

I think that you made his point. The value of his components didn't go down. The value of the money did.

murf205
10-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Local area primers were found at $50-52 per box. It wasn't a terrible day.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Cargo300/p/eb6fcbd7-4049-4a40-83bd-c2208c93c436

That's probably going to be the price, or close to it, when this is over. I just paid 45$ + 10% tax for a brick of LR mag CCI primers on Saturday at my LGS. They had a 2K limit and did'nt look to get any more at least in any numbers worth mentioning. This is the one and only gun shop in my area that carries reloading supplies to speak of.

Tripplebeards
10-21-2020, 09:51 PM
My LGS just got in more cci 200 LR for $39.99 a brick. They still have The cci LMR and SMP as well. Still 1 brick limit per day. I figured I have enough now for a long time. I did buy a brick of Federal Large pistol primers there for $39.99 yesterday. There were 2 & 1/2 bricks there of them for the last three weeks abs no one was buying them. A kid walked in and grabbed a brick when I was procrastinating on buying a brick. I bought the other brick to use in my 45 colt loads. That way I can stop using magnums in the colt and save the 3 bricks of LMP CCI’s i stocked up on for my 4, 44’s.

brewer12345
10-22-2020, 12:46 AM
I should really try to get some more small rifle primers. I have every other flavor of primer in volume, I just cringe from the hassle of trying to find some SR.

VariableRecall
10-22-2020, 03:10 AM
I should really try to get some more small rifle primers. I have every other flavor of primer in volume, I just cringe from the hassle of trying to find some SR.

I honestly don't know how you fine people are finding primers in these trying times. I live on the Idaho-Washington Border, not very far from CCI's Headquarters, but ironically, There hasn't been a set of CCI Large or Small Primers at any brick and mortar store I've been around. I've called all of the stores on a semi-regular basis and they have not been in stock for less than hours at a time in a non-regulated schedule.

I must admit to people here that I had sinned upon Gunbroker to acquire around 750 large pistol primers for my brother Galvin_Ground for around $65 overall. It will be plenty for us to get started with his Rock Island 1911, but the price was remarkably low for the current highway robbery occurring online.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-Supplies/search?Keywords=Small%20Pistol%20Primers&PageSize=24&Sort=0&View=1
Here's a window into the wild world of terrible deals.

Is there any way I could get some CCI 500's from someone around here? I'd totally be up for buying some from someone at $5 per slice of 100 primers.

Tripplebeards
10-22-2020, 07:10 AM

Small rifle are the only primers o haven’t run onto in the last three weeks. I have 5k and do not plan on burning through them on purpose just because I haven’t ran into any lately. I even found one brick of SP CCI’s. For $39.99 and the well went dry on them.

762 shooter
10-22-2020, 07:26 AM
I do not understand the logic.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and shoot them all, I am a model citizen.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and don't shoot it, I am a hoarder and bad person.

You worry about your possessions and I'll worry about mine.

Hanzy4200
10-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Ive seen several single bricks go on GB for over $300. Plus hazmat. The insanity has been underway for some time

robertbank
10-22-2020, 11:09 AM
I think that you made his point. The value of his components didn't go down. The value of the money did.

No the value of the dollar went down. This happens when you print money to cover deficits beyond the wealth of the nation. US has not had a balanced budget since the 50"s. Clinton claims he did but his Operating surplus did not cover the interest payments on the National debt. Trudeau is about to double our National debt. If it were not for our oil reserves our dollar would be about the same as the Mexican peso! Politicians figure you can just print more money and we all will be happy. Woopppeee I'm a trillionaire says the homeless man on the street.

Take Care

Bob

brewer12345
10-22-2020, 01:05 PM
I honestly don't know how you fine people are finding primers in these trying times. I live on the Idaho-Washington Border, not very far from CCI's Headquarters, but ironically, There hasn't been a set of CCI Large or Small Primers at any brick and mortar store I've been around. I've called all of the stores on a semi-regular basis and they have not been in stock for less than hours at a time in a non-regulated schedule.

I must admit to people here that I had sinned upon Gunbroker to acquire around 750 large pistol primers for my brother Galvin_Ground for around $65 overall. It will be plenty for us to get started with his Rock Island 1911, but the price was remarkably low for the current highway robbery occurring online.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-Supplies/search?Keywords=Small%20Pistol%20Primers&PageSize=24&Sort=0&View=1
Here's a window into the wild world of terrible deals.

Is there any way I could get some CCI 500's from someone around here? I'd totally be up for buying some from someone at $5 per slice of 100 primers.

I haven't found any. I think my last primer buy was almost a year ago because they were cheap and don't go bad.

I imagine that if I get desperate I can probably find someone willing to trade me a brick of SR for a brick of SP. I have a brick and a half of SR so it will be a while before I get to that point. My 350 Legend cast project will presumably make a dent in that, though.

USSR
10-22-2020, 01:45 PM
Bob,

The dollar (or any other currency) has never bought what it once did. However, when you're stocked up on $35 per k primers and the current price is nearly double that (if you can find them), then the amount of the dollar devaluation would have to be tremendous (which it is not) for you to lose money on your primers. Simple economics, whether we are talking the U.S. or Canadian dollar.

Don

sw282
10-22-2020, 04:55 PM
l lent 10k SPPs to my local range last week. They load range ammo for customers @ app 3k rds a week. My nephew was out of spp. l gave him a brick. l know l will get the primers back from the range too, WITH INTEREST;-) l started stocking up on a serious level before Y2K... l got really serious in 2008 when bozo moved to DC. The present makes the past 20 yrs seem like a block party.. BTW, l'm still buying when the price is right. l'm NOT a hoarder, just a good Boy Scout by motto ''Be Prepared'';-)
ps. While checking inventory l found a brick of ''SUPER VEL'' small pistol primers. Anyone remember those???

Rightbrained
10-22-2020, 04:59 PM
Around here one can trade 22lr one for one towards primers .
2020 has been an awfully strange year .

dverna
10-22-2020, 06:43 PM
[/B]

Take Care
Bob

We can agree to disagree.

If I had kept the money in the bank, it would have generated .5-1.5% interest. The primers are worth 100% more than they originally cost. With devaluation of currencies, hard assets are preferred to cash. Things like gold, silver, diamonds, and land are hard assets. Lead, primers and powder are also hard assets.

I am both a prepper and speculator. I am not offended by the word speculator if that was your intent.

In any case, I doubt speculators have much risk of being locked up even during a war.

BTW, in the last 8 years, my Canadian cash holdings have fallen about 25% relative to the US dollar. That was well before Covid. I certainly hope the Canadian dollar can rally but that seems unlikely. I fear you are correct and the US dollar will take a dump in order to devalue our debt.

Stay safe

brewer12345
10-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Haven't been in a gun store since March, but I went to fill out the background check form for a rifle I ordered. Had to make an appointment and they told me it is taking 2 days, as opposed to 15 minutes when things were calm. Shelves we're almost empty but they still had a few bricks of large rifle primers. Couldn't resist, so I bought a brick for $38.99.

The Dar
10-23-2020, 09:40 PM
I do not understand the logic.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and shoot them all, I am a model citizen.

If I buy 25,000 primers or ammo and don't shoot it, I am a hoarder and bad person.

You worry about your possessions and I'll worry about mine.

Hard to argue with that logic, I totally agree.

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 08:55 PM
I stopped into my LGS today. I bought the last 700 cci SMP primers they had for $33 with tax. Someone finally stopped in and bought the dozen boxes that they had sitting there for the last three weeks in the last two business days. They still have CCI LMP, LMR, and LR in stock for $39.99 a brick, 1 brick per day limit.

https://i.imgur.com/6Z1aAZ1.jpg

truckerdave397
10-27-2020, 10:41 PM
If you have any local auction houses around you keep your eye on them for primers. They do show up around me from time to time. I am thinking about selling off some of my SPP at one. No shipping involved but not GB prices.

VariableRecall
10-28-2020, 01:44 AM
I stopped into my LGS today. I bought the last 700 cci SMP primers they had for $33 with tax. Someone finally stopped in and bought the dozen boxes that they had sitting there for the last three weeks in the last two business days. They still have CCI LMP, LMR, and LR in stock for $39.99 a brick, 1 brick per day limit.

I don't know what infernal means you use to purchase primers in any quantity from a physical store.

murf205
10-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Will wonders never cease! I went to my LGS to pick up my new 22 Savage MK II. Had to wait almost a week because the feds are swamped with gun purchases getting approved, but lo and behold, there was a brick if LMRP for $44.95 and a 525 count box of Federal Champion LR hollow points for $39.95 with no limit on the 22's. I only bought 1 box and left the rest for some other grandfather who might want to take his grand kids shooting. While not a bargain by last years prices, it was not a bank breaking score. Very fortunate to have a LGS who digs for deals.

robertbank
10-30-2020, 10:12 AM
I heard yesterday that the Federal primer facility has been shut down due to the virus outbreak. Is this true?

Take Care

Bob