PDA

View Full Version : Swaging primer pockets to remove military crimp.

eka
12-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Santa brought me a new RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo kit. I tried my hand at about 60 militry .30-06 cases. I adjusted the die to get the desired effect in forming the primer pocket, but I created a bulge in the case neck just below the case mouth. According to the directions with the die, I seemed to have it adjusted right. Was I swaging the pocket too much? Will it iron out upon sizing? It doesn't seem right to bulge the neck, but I have never fooled with this before. I didn't notice it until I had swaged all of the cases
I had on hand. I swaged some military .223 next and didn't have any bulges with them. What's your experience with these things?

Thanks.

Keith

HotGuns
12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
You are swaging too much.

The die is a generic die, meaning that it will fit most military cases, so its not a perfect fit for any case.

You need to adjust the rod until it impacts the inside of the primer pocket. This is what keeps the swager from forcing the case up into the die and it holds the case in place. When you bring the press up, it needs to be adjusted to just remove the crimp and no more.

You'll have to experiment with the settings to get it just right. When its properly adjusted, you'll have a nice radius where the crimp used to be. In no way should it be changing the dimensions on the case.

felix
12-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Another consideration is to drill out the crimp area, using the case prep tool. Works good if not doing too many cases. ... felix

StarMetal
12-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Best method for doing alot of casings fast is what Denver Bullets told me many years ago, go to Sears and buy a 82 degree counter sink, chuck it in a drill press, and go at it. I've done it and it's fast and it works.

Joe

David R
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
You have to raise up the die in the press, lower the lock nut. Then set the stem after you are sure the case isn't going to hit the die at all.

I think the case is bulging because the die its self is too deep.

David

Herb in Pa
12-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Dillon's swager is quick and foolproof.

eka
12-26-2005, 08:33 PM
The instructions say: "The Swager Rod must be backed up snugly and securely tightened against the top of the Swager Body at all times to avoid damage to the Swager Rod. Be sure the small Lock Ring is tightened securely. The amount of swaging is controlled by moving the Swager Body up and down."

So, I tightened the rod tight into the body and adjusted the die down to get the crimp out of the pocket. I guess I just screwed the die body down too far and swaged too much, pushing the case into the die. The way I read it, you really can't adjust the rod, just the die body. The rod must be tightened into the die to avoid damaging it.

imashooter2
12-26-2005, 08:46 PM
How much of the threaded rod do you have sticking out the top of the die? Should be less than 1/2 inch.

eka
12-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I have 3/4" of rod sticking out of the top of the die, but the way the instructions read, it seemed that I was supposed to run the rod into the die until it tightened so I didn't damage it.

imashooter2
12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I have 3/4" of rod sticking out of the top of the die, but the way the instructions read, it seemed that I was supposed to run the rod into the die until it tightened so I didn't damage it.

As long as the lock nut is tight, you will not damage the threads on the rod. Back your die out a few full turns. Put a piece of the brass you want to swage into position on the mandrel. Run it up into the die. It should not hit anything at this point, you should be able to shake it on the mandrel. If it hits, back out the die until it doesn't and then a few turns past that. With the ram at the top of its travel, loosen the lock nut on the rod and turn it down until it hits the case head. Tighten the lock nut on the rod. Lower the ram and turn in the die assembly slowly until raising the ram gives you the swage you want and then tighten the lock ring on the die body.

Frank46
12-27-2005, 04:17 AM
Santa brought me a new RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo kit. I tried my hand at about 60 militry .30-06 cases. I adjusted the die to get the desired effect in forming the primer pocket, but I created a bulge in the case neck just below the case mouth. According to the directions with the die, I seemed to have it adjusted right. Was I swaging the pocket too much? Will it iron out upon sizing? It doesn't seem right to bulge the neck, but I have never fooled with this before. I didn't notice it until I had swaged all of the cases
I had on hand. I swaged some military .223 next and didn't have any bulges with them. What's your experience with these things?

Thanks.

Keith
Having swaged primer pockets in both 223, 308,30-06 cases the rcbs primer pocket swager set up is ok. Have done about 10,000 over the years. But it does become a pain in the butt. Once you have it set up for the particular case the punch or swage sometimes tends to stick in the pocket so on the downward stroke you have to pull the press handle with a slight jerk. This can be prevented by keeping the swager clean of grit and little pieces of brass. A little oil will also help. The dillon primer pocket swager is way better. has a little stripper plate that allows the swager to come out very easy. And is the way to go when doing large amounts of cases. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
01-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Sounds good to me. I have the RCBS swage dies, RCBS Case Prep machine and I have used a pen knife, a deburring tool and anything else that comes to hand and they are all a PITA. The countersink sounds good, I'll give it a go.

ruger4570
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
I have the RCBS tool also and it works ok for me. I just prefer it to drills, countersinks, case mouth tools etc. I prefrer NOT to remove any metal from a case. There are probably better brands on the market, but you have the one you have. With proper adjustment it will work fine even though any of this work get to be a pain at times.

StarMetal
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
ruger4570,

You mentioned you don't like removing metal. Well first off military cases have crimped in primers which means the case, at the primer hole mouth area, have EXTRA metal then do commercial cases, which have a bevel where the military crimp would be. With swaging you're moving metal. Using a countersink removes the EXTRA metal and makes the case like a normal commercial. So don't think because you're removing metal that you are weakening the case, because you are not.

Joe

felix
01-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Cutting metal from the tail end of the primer pocket is not weakening the case one iota. Pressure containing capacity depends on the amount of metal in front of the primer pocket, and that alone. I just wish they would make 45 colt cases with lots of metal at that web area. The Casull cases are too small in diameter from the get-go for the "army" chambers. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I did thousands with a cone shaped dremmel stone chucked in a drill press and it worked fine. I did buy a dillon swadger and it is alot nicer way to go.

swheeler
01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
I've had the C&H primer pocket swager for years, don't use it anymore, now use the Lyman chucked in the drillpress, fast.