PDA

View Full Version : Deal on moulds

mooman76
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I got a deal on 4 moulds at auction arms. I was just browsing and happened to stumble on them just before they closed. I was plesently surprised when I returned to the computer to learn that I did in fact win them. I have done this more than once but they were few and far between. I picked up a RCBS 457 RB mould that I already have in a Lyman and Lee but the price was right being in the group. I also got one of those brass copies of an old BP mould, not practical to use but kind of nice to set aside with you BP gun just for looks, again I already have one. The other two moulds I got that I wanted was a .456 BP Lee HP mould which they don't make any more. It still produces a pretty good and usable bullet and a Lee 6x 9mm TC BB bullet. This one shows some ware as well as the BP HP mould. I think they are good examples of moulds thast were used allot and not taken good care of. I don't think any of them ever saw lubricant but that is hard to tell, more conjecture on my part. The Lee BP HP mould is very loose and I my rob some handles off another Lee mould to try and tighten it up since it is no longer in production. I like the Lee HP moulds and wish they were still made. they are allot easier to use than the other HP moulds. The RCBS mould was in great shape and it is my guess it wasn't used much but it does need a little cleaning up but should drop good bullets as is. I cleaned up the 9mm mould and it drops pretty good bullets now too but the BB is showing some ware from heavy use so it will probubly just be a good plinker but I won't know until I try it out.
The reason I got them at a good deal is the seller did say they were worn some and described all the defects so I have to give him credit there for his honesty and if nothing else he described them worse than they actually were. he said they were milled but I can see no evidence of that. I think he was just confusing that with the exccesive ware on them. There are some deals out there if you look and don't mind a little work!