PDA

View Full Version : Got my son a piper...

bakerjw
10-06-2020, 10:09 AM
So, my oldest son is getting married this next Saturday.
Friday, the plan was for my son, his best man who is his oldest friend and our youngest son to get together around a bonfire and have an evening together like old times.
Well, my sons oldest friend, the best man, is very paranoid about Covid so he decided to not come to the wedding.
My youngest son, decided to not attend as well. work seemed to be the issue there.
This was all very disheartening to my son.
As it ends up, I am going to be the best dad.

So... My son was very discouraged as could be expected. Knowing this, I planned a bonfire with social distancing, masks, sanitizer, whatever and invited many of our coworkers and other friends to a bachelor party with girls. Not the usual kind of bachelor party girls .

One of our coworkers, who has become a good friend of mine and an acquaintance of my son, is from the McNutt clan here in the Appalachians. They call the area NE of here the Virginia Highlands for a reason. Lots of Scotsmen. Being from a long line of Scotsmen, my friend is a very good bagpiper.

So for my sons bachelor party with girls, we had an honest to goodness Piper playing.

My cell phone battery died and corrupted my video of him playing Scotland the Brave but I think that my wife got it all recorded. I'll get it online here shortly.

sigep1764
10-06-2020, 10:26 AM
I feel for your son and wish him well in his marriage. Love bagpipes! Very unusual and extremely considerate of you alls friend to have brought the pipes.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-06-2020, 10:29 AM
That's a nice, but sort of sad story, bakerjw. It's a tragedy how the pandemic has shut down not only our economy, but our personal relationships as well. You're a great dad, to be showing this support for one of the most important events in your son's life. Give him my best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

DG

Three44s
10-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Good on you!

When you are handed lemons, make lemonade!

Three44s

Joby
10-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Well I checked in to see what type of aircraft you bought him. I was wrong.
Hope the party and wedding work out the best.

Jedman
10-06-2020, 10:32 AM
When I seen the title I thought it was a gun ? I have a H. Piper rimfire rifle it’s a pre 1898 made in Belgium.

Jedman

DocSavage
10-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Love listening to songs played on bagpipes,wife and I have to see the Royal Scots Guard Blackwatch Fife,Drum and Bagpipe great show worth seeing should they come to your town.

rockrat
10-06-2020, 10:58 AM
LOL, I was also thinking aircraft too!!

DocSavage---would love to see that show.

bedbugbilly
10-06-2020, 11:20 AM
bakerjw - sorry things fell apart in regards to your son's plans but you certainly came to the rescue for him and provided him with something special that they will always remember - good for you!

Funny how our backgrounds affect the way we read titles. When I spotted "piper" - my first thought was bagpiper then it went to airplane. Nothing like a good bagpiper to bring out a feeling of pride!
whether a wedding or a funeral or anytime in between, the sounds of the piper always brings out a sense of pride in my Scottish heritage. You did something for your son that will always provide good memories of not only the occasion, but of your love for him as well. Wish I could have been there to hear the pipes and to play along with the piper on my fiddle - "Scotland The Brave" is one of my favorites to play in cross tune.

Congratulations to the bride and groom and to your families - may they enjoy a long and happy marriage!

bakerjw
10-06-2020, 11:44 AM
He was very huggy and appreciative as it totally caught him off guard.
I told him that the only way to top it was to have a piper at my funeral. I joke about death often much to he and my wife's chagrin.

contender1
10-06-2020, 08:56 PM
I fully understand the feelings about having a Piper.

Locally, we have one who is quite good, and also volunteers for several things. One of my favorite things he does,, all on his own,, is every year, on 9/11,,, he stands alongside a road,, in Bat Cave NC,, and pipes for several hours,, honoring those lost.

He also played the pipes at my Mom's funeral.

Tell your son we here are offering a virtual "Hearty Congratulations!"

Bwana John
10-06-2020, 09:14 PM
He was very huggy and appreciative as it totally caught him off guard.
I told him that the only way to top it was to have a piper at my funeral. I joke about death often much to he and my wife's chagrin.

I grew up playing the pipes. My younger brother played the snare drum. My father used to pimp us out to play marriages and funerals as a way to earn money when we were growing up. We were going to get business cards....."We marry and bury"

rking22
10-06-2020, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a fine time, I’m sure he will remember it ! Perhaps not on the level of a fully restored and fueled Cub, but dang close :)

la5676
10-06-2020, 09:22 PM

I thought the same thing.

la5676
10-06-2020, 09:28 PM
One of our coworkers, who has become a good friend of mine and an acquaintance of my son, is from the McNutt clan here in the Appalachians. They call the area NE of here the Virginia Highlands for a reason. Lots of Scotsmen. Being from a long line of Scotsmen, my friend is a very good bagpiper.

What's that old saying about the 8 degrees of separation. Read this story to the wife sitting here this evening. She said, how ironic about the McNutt name, there are some McNutts on her maternal side of the family from back that way.

Hinky heh

MrWolf
10-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Thought a plane also. You are a good man and Dad. Congrats.

justashooter
10-07-2020, 03:04 PM
it's sad that so many people have fear of a mild disease because a federal agency full of deep staters and a corrupted media are trying to use it to throw an election.

as an RN educated person who is following this closely it is easy for me to see that this disease is less lethal than our annual influenza, but you remember what mark twain said about "convincing people that they have been fooled"...

Lloyd Smale
10-09-2020, 07:00 AM

that was my first reaction to it too.

dverna
10-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Your son needs to make better friends.

lightman
10-10-2020, 04:40 PM
When I first saw the title I thought you got your Son an Airplane!