PDA

View Full Version : alignment pin fell out of my LEE mold

David R
12-26-2005, 02:19 PM
How can I get it to stay in? I was thinking Locktite 271 (red) it is good for up to 600*F. Any other suggestions?

This is my NEW Lee group buy 452-275. Nice looking boolits.

I poured until the mold came up to temp then it fell out. I pushed it back in, tried again, same thing.

I would stake it, but it might screw up the mold alignment. Its the Male Male pin in the front.

TIA
David

Johnch
12-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Call LEE .
I bet they will tell you to send it back to them

Johnch

David R
12-26-2005, 06:46 PM
John,

It drops good boolits, I would like to keep it. I bet they have about 25 rejects there already from the group buy.

Gonna try the RED locktite (271) first.

Thanks
David

762cavalier
12-26-2005, 09:59 PM
OK i as reading this post and I came up with a wild idea that just might work also. Try to dimple the pin itself so metal is displaced outward and it might be enough to grab inside the aluminum block. That and a little red locktite might just do the trick :bigsmyl2:

tomf52
12-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I would not be afraid to stake the pin back in place. Just use a light hand and a little caution then dress any high areas around the stake marks with a jewelers file.

castalott
12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
here is what I would do if it were mine...If I were desperate..

Put some slugs back in the mold and close it gently on them until fully closed. Machine ( or sand on a flat surface) both ends and the bottom of the mold smooth, square , and flat so the OUTSIDE of the mold will assist in exact alignment. This will give you a reference if something goes wrong..... you could lock the mold in vice and possibley even drill alignment holes using just the outside for alignment.....

Dale

Vegas Vince
12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
I had the same problem with one of my Lee molds. After several attemps to repair it I gave up and called Lee. They told me to send it in. Ten days later it was returned!! No charge, and I have been using it about six month with no problems.

Vegas Vince

Springfield
12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Eventually ALL of my LEE six ganger pins come loose. I just heat up the mould, push it back in and stake it in place using a small flat punch. Just be careful.