PDA

View Full Version : 45LC Brass Sooting

sneared
12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm still a bit new to casting. I loaded up and fired a batch of Lyman 452490.
Sized to 0.452
Boolits cast of 1/2 Lino 1/2 lead air cooled and GC.
Lubed with Lars BAC.
14 gr AA #7 (Ruger/TC only). WLP primer
Fired in a 45 LC SS Ruger Acusport

In loading and firing other rounds, including commercially cast, I've never seen this type of marking (sooting?) on the case before. Marking covers about 3/4 of the case length and about 1/4 of the circumference. All rounds were reasonably accurate for my offhand shooting (3 in. at 25 yds). No other unusual behavior. I haven't tried any other powders yet.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Frank

Tom Herman
12-07-2008, 02:19 AM
When I check the brass, the rounds were slightly bulged. In my case, I think the Tauras has a, how shall I say, "generous" chamber?
It doesn't seal very well, and I get stippled pretty bad from unburnt Unique.
I shoot really old commercially cast 255 grain SWC's, as well as my own Lyman 452664's.
Loads on both are 8 grains Unique. This works flawlessly in all of my Redhawks without the long burnt streaks.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jhrosier
12-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Frank,
That sooting of the cases is very common in the .45 Colt.
A larger boolit or tighter neck, perhaps with a good crimp, will allow the pressures in the case to build up a little more before the boolit starts to move and eliminate the sooting.
It is all about neck tension. I have seen some lots of brass that will show some blackening of the case mouths, while other lots of brass won't, with the exact same load.

Like Tom, I load with Unique. I've found that a slightly heavier load of powder can also help to eliminate the problem. If you are getting the soot, your velocities are probably inconsistent also, and accuracy suffers. When you eliminate the sooting problem, your accuracy will probably increase.

I have found Starline brass to be better than Winchester for neck tension (and accuracy.)

Jack

missionary5155
12-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Good morning and WELCOME !
With all firearms you NEED to slug the throat areas to find out what diameter boolits you NEED to seal the gas BEHIND the boolit. With that info you know that your boolit is doing initially what is required. So take the 5 minutes and discover what the end of those cylinders really are.
Depending on desired velocity.. #7 is for near mag * loads. I would not be shooting minimum loads of #7. I do not have Acc load data here as No powder is available on shelves. Try #5 if you have it. That is what I would use or UNIQUE as otheres stated. That is what I DO have here... Works EXCELLENT in my 44-40 Colt and Winny....

Boerrancher
12-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I have been shooting and loading for the 45 LC and 44-40 for nearly 20 years now and I have tried just about every powder that is out there. Please note that I am a big fan of Accurate Powders, but when it comes to the 45 LC and 44-40 the only powder I will shoot in them now is Unique. I get a small amount of soot from my older lot of Unique, but the newer Unique formula I have been told is a lot cleaner burning than the older stuff.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Scrounger
12-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Sooty brass almost always means the powder charge is too light to generate enough pressure to fireform the cases to chamber dimensions. Never go below book minimums to start, and work up from there to whatever point your gun is happy with.

runfiverun
12-07-2008, 10:02 AM
7.5 unique will do that same thing.
with lower vel loads a faster powder is required to stop the sooting.
also with a "bit" of sooting it seems to help your carbide die work better, but you seem to have a bit too much.

RayinNH
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Frank, #452490 is supposed to be about 230 grains cast from #2 alloy. Looking at Accurate Powder loading data, a 225 grain truncated cone bevel base boolit using #7 powder is 14.8--16.4 grains. As others have said your charge could be upped some. Load five of each in increments of two grains until the sooting goes away while maintaining accuracy.
Not that you asked, but I would save the linotype and go to straight wheelweights. I have about 15 pounds of lino and am saving it for who knows what. The lowly wheelweight has done every thing I have ever needed in center fire projectiles...Ray

leadeye
12-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I had the same sooting issue with my Henry, stepping up the powder charge took care of it.

sneared
12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I suppose I should have added that the boolit weighs 260 gr with lube and GC.
I'm using Winchester brass. I may try Starline.

I haven't tried the round in my Vaquero.

I'll try varying the charge weight although I have not heard anyone recommend this powder. Seems Unique is the favorite. Anyone use Hogdon's universal? I prefer to shoot the heavy loads in the Ruger/TC-Only sections of the reloading manuals. What's a big bore for if you don't have some recoil!

I have done a quick and dirty check on the throats and they are all about .452
I have not slugged the barrel. I plan on sending the gun to Hamilton Bowen to have him work his magic on it.

So many variable, so little time....

I'll report on further results.

Frank

smkummer
12-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I run my FL sizer only far enough to size the area for the bullet. These 1/2 sized cases still appear to work in both my anaconda and Colt New Frontier chambered in 45 Colt. If I do get sooting at all it never goes beyond the sized area.