PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL314-85-WC and Nagant 1895 Revolver

VintageRifle
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Hello,

Found myself a Lee TL314-85-WC two cavity bullet mold today. New in the box, but the box looks like its been to hell and back. Picked it up for $19.00+a bit of tax.

Anyway...

Has anyone used this bullet in the M1895 Russian Nagant Revolver? If so, did it give good results?

Thanks,

VR

jonk
12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
The little full wadcutter tumble lube? If so yes I've tried it and no it didn't do anything great... but then neither has anything else in my nagant so...

Would be a vg choice to duplicate an original with bullet seated below case mouth, if you are using proper brass.

leftiye
12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
FWIW, J&G Sales of Prescott Ariz. has replacement cylinders In (IIRC) 32-20 (maybe 32 H&R) for these Nagant revolters. About $80 IIRC. The cylinder sans chamber mouth to guide the boolit don't help accuracy much. One could reload Nagant brasswith a goog sizing in the front half and maybe leave out the crimp in front of the boolit and improve thangs sum.

Bullshop
12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Them cylenders at more than the price of the gun is a fix for sumthin that aint broke.
Spendin more $ to solve a problem aint always the answer, ask J.W.
BIC/BS

Duckdog
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I use the Lee 90 gr TL SWC with excellent results in all of them that I have. I use 4 gr of Unique over whatever small pistol primer you have. I use the Lee dies and modify 32/20 brass and also seat the bullet just below the case mouth, although I could probably have it out into the case mouth if I wanted.

I have 7 of these and they all shoot just a bit different from each other. I have found that the big thing is to make sure you are not pulling that heavy trigger instead of sqeezing it. These must have some of the heaviest trigger pulls out there. There is a way to lighten it up, but I have not found the need to do it.

I would guess the 85 gr WC would be a very good bullet for this gun. Good luck

VintageRifle
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I have starline nagant brass and some modified 32-20 brass. The revolver I am using has a very frosted and lightly pitted barrel. However, with reloads, I was am able to hit pop cans at 20 feet easy with it.

I have a couple others that I have not shot yet. Probably should get out one with a nice barrel.

On a side note, anyone rebarrel a Nagant Revolver? I have a very nice replacement barrel. Only drawback is its an Izzy and the revolver is a Tula. But... would give it a nice barrel. PS. I know they are cheap and I could just buy another 1924 Tula Nagant.