PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good book...

GreenRiverBoy
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
...on casting lead bullets.

First time post. I'm thinking about getting into bullet casting but would like some advice on buying a good book on the subject. I've been reloading pistol and rifle ammo for sometime now and really enjoy doing it. I'm looking for a book that is basic but at the same time good for even the more advanced casters. Lots of pictures would be a plus as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any advice on basic equipment I should be considering would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Bent Ramrod
12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the site, GreenRiverBoy. Do a search on this site for our own Joe Brennan's "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert." There's a link to a site where you can download it, (for free, I think) and an address where you can buy a hard copy. It has everything you have requested, including lots of pictures to illustrate the concepts. If you get maniacal on the subject, like the rest of us, you will probably accumulate a lot of other literature on boolit casting, but there is no better single reference than Joe's book.

docone31
12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
After being a member of this site for a while, I would be suprised if you needed a book.
We can take you from concept to finished product, right here.
Some real experienced folks help out regularily.

largom
12-06-2008, 10:37 PM
The book "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" by Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technology {LBT} is excellent and by far the best I have read.
Also "CAST BULLETS" by Col. E.H. Harrison published by the National Riflr Assoc. is excellent.
"Cast Bullet Handbook" published by Lyman is also great.
I suggest get all the books you can and read, read, read. Go into the archives on this forum and you will find info. not found in any book. This is one GREAT site. Welcom aboad.
Larry

Le Loup Solitaire
12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi, Welcome to the forum and "the sickness". There are several excellent books on bullet casting some of which have been already recommended to you. I would suggest, "The Art of Bullet Casting" which it published by Wolfe Publishing and is still available. It is a volume compiled on the works of many of the pioneers and legends in the field/hobby, over the years. Good reading and best of luck. LLS

Larry Gibson
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook is a must first read for wanna be bullet casters. Welcome to the forum and to our sport.

Larry Gibson

GreenRiverBoy
12-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Guys!!

I'll check out what you all have just recommended. I just bought my first copy of Handloader magazine which has a article titled "The ABC's of Bullet Casting" that I'm going to read tonight.

Thanks for the input; it really is appreciated!

GRB

Hang Fire
12-07-2008, 03:06 AM
...on casting lead bullets.

First time post. I'm thinking about getting into bullet casting but would like some advice on buying a good book on the subject. I've been reloading pistol and rifle ammo for sometime now and really enjoy doing it. I'm looking for a book that is basic but at the same time good for even the more advanced casters. Lots of pictures would be a plus as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any advice on basic equipment I should be considering would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Cast Bullet Handbook by Lyman new will run about $15.00

Used on Ebay, current bid $8.50, auction ends 12/10/08

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:Hsano5IETN8J:cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook,-1980,-detailed-w%252Fhistory_W0QQitemZ140286560871QQcmdZViewItemQ QimsxZ20081204%3FIMSfp%3DTL
081204121011r37502+used+books%2Bcast+bullet+handbo ok&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

missionary5155
12-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Greetings and WELCOME !
All the above books are GREAT ! Any Cast Lyman Book !

HeavyMetal
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
GRB:
Welcome aboard!

You can never have to many books on casting. If for no other reason than simple good ideas!

It was mentioned that you should get a copy of the art of bullet casting by Wolfe Publishing.

A better bet from Wolfe is the complete 4 book group on the art of bullet casting on CD dvd This is loaded with information and, when I bought mine a few years ago, was $29.00

Check with Wolfe and get it if it's still available!

Larry Gibson
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Greetings and WELCOME !
All the above books are GREAT ! Any Cast Lyman Book !

I believe the 3rd edition is the latest one. The basic info on casting and how to is the same in all of them. Newer data and new cartridges are mostly what's new in the 2nd and 3rd editions.

Larry Gibson