PDA

View Full Version : Just got my RCBS pro-melt and its a drip o-matic

hotwheelz
12-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I got the rcbs pro-melt lead furnace yesterday finally got home to give it a try put the handle on it did the warm up cycle per instructions once it was up to temp and Im readdy to cast it starts dripping I figure Ill give it a few to see if it stops no it hasnt its really got me P.O.:twisted::twisted: My lee 4-20 never dripped now I spend $300 and get a drip o-matic. Any ideas here yes I will call midway and probably rcbs on monday but did any of you guys have this problem ????

Jon K
12-06-2008, 11:22 PM
The rod end of the valve and the seat face are not sealing the flow= drip...........probably has grit or something between the two faces.

Fire up the pot getting it plenty hot and open and close the handle, kind of firmly on the down stroke to make sure it seals. Do this several times and you'll see the drip stop.

You could also empty it, take out the rod, clean it and the seat, make sure it seats good enough to seal.

Mine does this periodically, and a couple of strokes up and down does the trick.

Jon

Dale53
12-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I have had occasional problems with some minor dripping with both of my RCBS pots. However, on this very forum, some time ago, someone suggested clamping a small Vise Grip onto the flat rod that operates the valve mechanism. The idea is simply to add weight to the valve to insure it closing. Works like a charm. I purchased a Chinese Vise Grip (small), clipped it on the pot and problem has ended. I have cast several thousand bullets and NO MORE DRIPPING!

Dale53

deltaenterprizes
12-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Dale, Thanks for the tip!

skeet1
12-07-2008, 10:56 AM
hotwheelz,
It's amazing. You spend hundreds of dollars more and you don't get anything better than you had with the lee. I have a Saceo bottom drip and never have liked using the the bottom pour method and end up using a ladle. My next pot will be a Lee Magnum Melter. At least for me, I seem to get better bullets when I dip and not drip.

Skeet1

Hardcast416taylor
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I adjust the handle stop screw upward to allow a larger flow. I then put an ignot mould under the spout. I lift the handle and fill the one or two ignot cavities closest to the spout. This usually clears the dirt, if any, problem. I then reset the stop screw to where it was. By the way a small C-clamp works good for adding extra weight and is smaller in size than vise grips.:castmine:Robert

Willbird
12-07-2008, 11:47 AM
hotwheelz,
It's amazing. You spend hundreds of dollars more and you don't get anything better than you had with the lee. I have a Saceo bottom drip and never have liked using the the bottom pour method and end up using a ladle. My next pot will be a Lee Magnum Melter. At least for me, I seem to get better bullets when I dip and not drip.

Skeet1

You get a pot that is a LOT better than the LEE ;-)

My Promelt has never dripped a drop yet.

Bill

mikenbarb
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Im looking to buy a new furnace but lately it seems that their all made like crap and most get a drip or come with one built in so I guess im sticking with my old Potter. It works great and never dripped a single drop ever.:-D I guess the old stuff is sometimes better if not always.:-D I was looking at the RCBS and the Lyman so please let us know how it works out and if its an easy fix so I know in case I break down and buy one.

Dale53
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Here's another tip for either a Lyman or an RCBS pot (I have not used a Lee, so don't know if it would work with it or not):

Leave the adjustment screw for the valve loose. For best results, you need to adjust the lead stream as the level of the pot reduces (as the pot empties). When you first start with a melted pot full, the valve just needs to be open a "little". I set it up so that the lead stream is just above the dribble stage. As the pot empties, I reach up and open the screw a half turn or so. I keep doing that to keep the lead stream at a constant level.

When adjusting the lead stream flow, depending on the temperature at which you are casting, you can get it so low that it freezes on you. I always keep a propane torch (one of the self lighters) handy to heat up the spout if it should happen. It happens, at most, one or two times a casting session. By keeping the torch handy, this does not become an aggravation. My motto is "Reduce or eliminate aggravations":mrgreen:

I bottom pour exclusively (from .22 bullets that weigh 45 grs to BPCR bullets that weigh 535 grs). I have done so for over fifty years. Bottom pour is considerably more efficient but you DO have to learn how to manage the pot. This takes some use of the set up and too many people will not take the time to learn to do it. Apparently, it is easier for a lot of people to get "OK" results with a dipper.

I have done both (started out with a dipper) and can get excellent results with either. The bottom pour is just faster and more efficient.

However, the most important thing is that you are DOING it, not whether you're using bottom pour or dipper...

Dale53

Bullshop
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
There was a thread a few years ago on how to modify an rcbs pot to fix your problem.
Maybe someone can tell you how to find it, I dont know how. There were pictures and description of a simple mod to stop the drip. I did all my rcbs pots at that time and still no drips.
BIC/BS

hotwheelz
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I have had occasional problems with some minor dripping with both of my RCBS pots. However, on this very forum, some time ago, someone suggested clamping a small Vise Grip onto the flat rod that operates the valve mechanism. The idea is simply to add weight to the valve to insure it closing. Works like a charm. I purchased a Chinese Vise Grip (small), clipped it on the pot and problem has ended. I have cast several thousand bullets and NO MORE DRIPPING!

Dale53

Thanks Dale , my issue is it brand new and cost me some seriuos coin I want it to work properly if this was a $20 pot I would be right there or if it was used and i got a deal on it OK but its not. $309 dollars to put it on my door it should work right. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

JesterGrin_1
12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I am sorry to inform you of this but. There is nothing that you can purchase that you will not have to tinker with some. Now the ? is quality. Yes you will spend more money for a quality product that will last longer than a cheaper one. I have a RCBS Pro Melt that is very old and still works great. Yes I still get the drip now and then but a couple of good movements with the handle and it will normally stop but sometimes not. But to me it is no big deal as I put a ingot mold under the pot when I am casting so any drips go into the ingot mold and when done or depending on how much is in the ingot mold I just pull it out and throw it back into the pot.

If you are not happy with the RCBS then by all means talk to RCBS or whomever you purchased it from to see if you can get your money back or trade it for a LEE 20 pound pot and tinker with that.

I have spend a few $'s to thousands of $'s on a quality product and still had to tinker with them. That is just the way it is. :)

mtgrs737
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
In todays wham bam out the door where's my check type of manufacturing the quality of todays items is somewhat hit and miss. Remember when Japanese items were refered to as "Jap Junk", not anymore! American products like the Colt Woodsman 22's got too expensive to produce so they were dropped and sloppy fitted pistols were introduced as their replacements. It seems those designs that have survived are those that don't require much craftsmanship or are easily fixed in the field.

I love my RCBS Promelt, it has served me well with narry a drip. I would clean the seating area and give it another try, and if it still drips call RCBS they are great to work with.

Hardcast416taylor
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
A friend of mine, yes I do have a friend, fixed his little drip problem on his Lee 10 lb. pot and his RCBS pot. He took some brass rod milled a slot the width of the pour handle, put several set screws in it and set it on the handle above the end knob. Now he has a heavier end to the handle and his drip problems quit. My RCBS pot is as old as the first one they made, no drip problem yet. The only drip problem I have is on my LEE 10 lb. extra high clearance. My original LEE 10 lb. is so old that I think it voted for Lincolin never had a drip problem either. :castmine: Robert

NoDakJak
12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
WHAT????? About six months ago I consigned five Dripomatics with burnt up thermostats or heating coils to the garbage can. A few weeks later my trusty Lyman pot burnt out the thermostat and I bit the bullet and ordered a new RCBS pot. To say that I am just happier than a pig eating, er, uh, P--p is putting it mildly. I just wish that I had done this years ago. I have cast several thousand boolits with absolutely no problem. When I finally get the new thermostat in my Lyman pot I will really be in HOG Heaven. I just wish that I could be as happy with the new RCBS molds. Neil

STP22
12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I`m surprised that a new Pro Melt would do that...

But with all things, yours seems to be an exception. My only suggestion would be to empty the pot and when it cools off enough, remove the valve stem and polish the stem section with 0000 wool and try it again. I`ve had to do the same with the Lee 10lb "drip-o-matics" with some success. Both of my Pro Melts have yet to show the problem you describe, but I can see that a few may be problematic. What ever you do, dont attempt to modify the spout...just attempt to get the stopper to fit the spout.

HTH,

Scott

mikenbarb
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
What I dont understand is that they made many older pots like Potter and Saeco and even the older Lymans that never dripped and you never had to tinker with them and it just seems that quality and workmanship went south when some of those companies went out of business. I have a Potter bottom pour from the 50's and it still works great and it has not one single adjustment on it that has to be messed with. How come a large company like RCBS or LEE cant make something as simple as a lead pot not drip or even copy a older brand that just plain and simple worked great? They can make a precision BR die or powder measure so why cant they make a precision lead pouring assembly that dont drip, Its not rocket science and I think it should be an easy task for such a large company.:confused::confused:

94Doug
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Does RCBS even make the pot, or do they buy it from an outside source an place their name on it? I have some older Handloader magazines, and there are ads for the Promelt by another company. Just wonderin.'

GLL
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
RCBS bought the Pro-Melt design from Ohio Thermal Inc. some years ago.

My Pro-Melt has never leaked a single drop ! :) :)

If anyone has one of these available please drop me a note. I would like a second one !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/ED6FB2F8CC89A1F/orig.jpg

mikenbarb
12-07-2008, 11:31 PM
GLL, Is that a bottom pour furnace or ladle type? It definatly wont leak if its not a bottom pour.;-)

JesterGrin_1
12-07-2008, 11:48 PM
That is what these were for lol :) :) they do not have a bottom pour so no leaky lol.

GLL
12-08-2008, 12:36 AM
It is a ladle type Pro-Melt furnace ! Never leaks !!! ;) ;)

I do not own a bottom pour ! I am not very good at tongue-in-cheek humor ! :)

These old Pro-Melt ladle furnaces are not too common it seems.

Jerry

Russel Nash
12-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I've had my RCBS pro melt sitting in a box for at least six months.

I finally put everything together tonight and plugged in for the first time.

NOT one drip.

It worked flawlessly.

I will tell you this though, when I was putting it together, there was one little screw that had fallen into the spout.

Just in packaging, handling, and putting it together it would be so easy for the smallest bit of whatever to fall into that spout and you would NOT notice it.

I took some pictures of it tonight.

I will be back later to post them in another thread.

barrysuperhawk
12-08-2008, 01:03 AM
I have a Lee 4-20 that does the opposite, occasionally it will freeze up and I have to hit the nipple with a torch to unstick it...

Russel Nash
12-08-2008, 02:25 AM
^^^ from another thread I started....

well, that kinda explains why the thermocouple on the RCBS Pro Melt is in direct contact with the spout/nozzle then.

Ahhaaa ! I got it now.....:wink:

hotwheelz
12-08-2008, 03:17 AM
I called Midway today they will refund or exchange my pro-melt and cover return shipping Thanks you Midway I would have been shocked if the didnt offfer this. I will say that after all the talk of these melters it think I may have gotten a bad one it happens IM done being P.O.'d about it Im going to try exchanging it. So for any of you guys looking for a deal Im sure RCBS will have one in the near future in the 2nd or refub section..............

I will let you guys know how the 2nd one does when I get it

sagamore-one
12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Nodak ... Mr Neil, the Lyman thermostat is adjustable. If you get heat, but not enough, try adjusting the stat. Simply remove the dial and look for a very small screwdriver slot.
The good people at Lyman told me how to do this just before Thanksgiving.
This may save you a $45 trip back to the factory.

klw
12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
RCBS bought the Pro-Melt design from Ohio Thermal Inc. some years ago.

My Pro-Melt has never leaked a single drop ! :) :)

If anyone has one of these available please drop me a note. I would like a second one !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/ED6FB2F8CC89A1F/orig.jpg

I've got a Pro-Melt but it is the bottom draining variety.

As I recall Pro-Melt designed this furnace specifically for RCBS. After they had done that RCBS rejected the design so Pro-Melt started marketing the furnace themselves. Shortly after that RCBS changed them minds and bought the unit. RCBS has been making them ever since.

I've got three furnaces, all bottom drainers. One Pro-Melt and two RCBS's. Recently after well over a decade of steady use one of my RCBS units broke. They fixed it. $80 plus shipping but they will completely recondition their older units. I asked it they would recondition my Pro-Melt. Alas the answer was no.

mikenbarb
12-08-2008, 07:56 PM
KLW, Ya ever want to part with one of those bottom pours please keep me in mind. Im looking for a good used one because new are priced outrageous.:-?

KAF
12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
My very old Pro Melt had once had a small leak, I seated the stopper rod just like seating valves in a engine.
I used a light abrasive cream then used a drill motor to sin the rod and bingo no drip.
I worked in a foundry for years and ran a mechanical iron pouring machine it is just like casting bullets.

I also have a Ohio Furnace pot, it is the promelt before RCBS bought them out. Replaced the controller and good as new for cheap. Not sure of it's age but have had my rcbs for 20 years ay least.

Bullshop
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=drip+pot
BIC/BS

Jon K
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I just cleaned mine........4 years old. I just pulled the valve rod, brushed it off, cleaned out the seat with a little Chore boy, and brushed out the inside of the pot. Fired it up flows smooth........NO DRIP. Took me less than 5 minutes start to finish, once I poured out the lead in the pot.

Jon

mtgrs737
12-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I bought mine off of ebay for $175 used, it was used maybe twice! It cleaned up like a new one! I highly recomend them they are a joy to use.

PatMarlin
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I worked in a foundry for years and ran a mechanical iron pouring machine it is just like casting bullets.

Lets start casting steel boolits. Green sand molds? ...:mrgreen: