PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4X handles

mazo kid
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I read the post below about using different handles on molds and have a question: I recently bought 2 new Lyman 4 cavity round ball molds at a very good price. I don't even see 4 cav. round ball molds listed in their catalog. Anyway, to make a long story short, rather than modifying my Lee 6 cav. handles (and make them unsuitable for those molds) I got a 4 hole handle at ebay. These are the plier type handles. I see that there are also 4 hole handles that open from the rear (front hinge). I haven't any experience with the 4 cav. handles and wonder if there is much difference between the 2 different (old and new?) types? Which do you prefer? TIA. Emery

garandsrus
12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I prefer the pliers type as you don't have to move your hands as far to open the mold due to the hinge/leverage.... The old style works also though.

John

Jon K
12-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Ditto what garandsrus said less hand movement and motion to operate, although it can get heavy when casting big boolits. The new style tend to flex less also.

Jon

mazo kid
12-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Great, thanks! Emery

HeavyMetal
12-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Tell you what I did when I bought two lyman 4 bangers for 38 wad cutters, I put the molds on backwards!

The striking end of the sprue plate is now right in front of my hand! I pour, put down mold one, pickup mold two turn it 90 degrees, sprue plate is now horisantal, and strike the sprue plate with my mallet.

Breaks clean and drops the sprue just where I want it! Pop open with a bit of thumb pressure on the mold at the back side ( nearest my hand) and the bollits fall out just where I want them close the mold fill and repeat with mold one!

Because of how easy this is I really like the front hinge handles for the Lyman 4 bangers!