PDA

View Full Version : When did Lee quit ....

Blackwater
12-26-2005, 12:55 AM
... making moulds for the old Maxi-Balls? Lyman's the only ones who appear to make the moulds now. Are they making too much $$$ selling pre-cast ones? At 50 cents per, I don't believe I'll be shooting many! Just curious when they stopped. A buddy had one, but it melted when his home burned several years back.

Teach
12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
If you're looking for a .54 caliber maxi-ball mold, I've got one. I don't remember the brand name, but it's a steel mold, so it's not a Lee. I have no use for it, as I'm casting .50 caliber round balls for my Hawkens and my Pennsylvania flinter, and I'm just about to start casting .577 Minie' bullets for my 1853 Enfield. If you need the Maxi mold, lets horsetrade!
Jerry

Maven
12-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Dennis, Thompson/Center and Saeco also made Maxi-Ball molds, but the T/C is a single cavity and anodized Al and casts very well. All 3 brands appear pretty regularly on EBay and at decent prices to boot.

Blackwater
12-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Sorry Teach, I should have mentioned it's a .50 cal. I appreciate the offer anyway, though.

Maven, thanks. I don't usually peruse Ebay. Just not enough time, but maybe I ought to start, eh? I've seen the Lyman Maxi mould, but didn't know Saeco made one, too. Guess I need to "get out" more? :???:

Was just cuious when Lee had quit making these. I like the big lube capacity, and I've shot some sub-2" groups with one not too many years back, so they DO have some real appeal. Have a WTB post here on the board. Maybe that'll turn something up.

Thanks guys.

omgb
12-28-2005, 04:11 AM
I've got a SAECO 4 holer that I'd part with for $170. It's in pristine shape and of course, casts a .50 cal maxi bullet.

fatnhappy
12-28-2005, 11:23 AM
FWIW,
Mine is a .50 single cavity lyman that I picked up on e-bay for $20. They appear fairly regularly, an awful lot of TC Al molds go "new in the wrapping" for around $25.

RBak
12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
If you're looking for a .54 caliber maxi-ball mold, I've got one. I don't remember the brand name, but it's a steel mold, so it's not a Lee. I have no use for it, as I'm casting .50 caliber round balls for my Hawkens and my Pennsylvania flinter, and I'm just about to start casting .577 Minie' bullets for my 1853 Enfield. If you need the Maxi mold, lets horsetrade!
Jerry

Jerry, I am in need of a .54 Maxi-Ball mould, if you still have it.

PM me with some of the things you are looking for, I just might have something. I have a few in .58 cal, .54, and .50........I would have to look at what all I do have.

I would also consider just buying it, if you decide to go that way......anyway, shoot me a PM if you're still interested.

BTW....I was not aware that Lee ever made a Maxi mould in the T/C design.

Russ...

Teach
12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Russ, I'm working on some pics now, cropping and downsizing so they'll email right. Mine's a single-cavity T/C, 400 grain, part #7292. (molds only, no handles) Pics on the way!
Jerry

fatnhappy
12-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Jerry, welcome to the site. How you feeling?

Dean

Teach
12-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Just had two spots on my spine whittled on, so I'm a little sore right now! I had a disc bulge repaired in one spot, and "stenosis", a narrowing of the nerve path, reamed out in two places. I'll be up and about in another week or two, good as new, they say! Thanks for asking!
Jerry

fatnhappy
12-29-2005, 12:41 PM
You missed out on a flurry of group buys this summer. I believe I PM'd you over at MS or AO about the .434 - 250 6 banger Willbird did. It's interesting, but nobody has proposed any muzzleloading group buys that I'm aware of.

Dean

Willbird
12-29-2005, 06:00 PM
a 50 caliber maxi would be within LEE's parameters I think for a custom 6 popper, and being that I have a TC Omega 50 caliber I would be interested in one, the sabots with jacketed bullets shoot very good but I would like the maxi's for kerplunking, less fussing around.

omgb
12-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Willbird, I recvd the mould the other day. Very nice indeed. I also posted positive feedback. Say, I know you were talking baout a Lee custom mould, but I do have that SAECO I mentioned above. I am open to some trading as well.
R Talley

fatnhappy
12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
a 50 caliber maxi would be within LEE's parameters I think for a custom 6 popper, and being that I have a TC Omega 50 caliber I would be interested in one, the sabots with jacketed bullets shoot very good but I would like the maxi's for kerplunking, less fussing around.

Things that make you go, hmm. Lee would have a tough time screwing up the fitting with pure lead. How tough would the specs need to be anyways? :idea:

Blackwater
12-30-2005, 03:13 AM
OMGB, thanks but that's more than I want to put in a mould right now. Just have too darn many 'spensive projects going, expecially with a Mauser to be finished up soon. Darn tempting, though! Appreciate the response, and probably should have specified a price range.

omgb
12-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Understood. I have to ask that price because that's esentially what I've got in it IIRC. I would consider swapping for other moulds/stuff/pocket watch what ever.

Blackwater
01-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm .... anything in particular you'd be looking for? That would be one SWEET mould to have, for sure. I'm sort'a rearranging my reloading room, off and on, and may run into something you'd be interested in. What do you shoot and like?