PDA

View Full Version : Lee Tumble lube ..cast projectiles...

Steven Whitmarsh
12-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here, have cast many 1000's of bullets in the past (working for a commercial caster and my own)...
getting back into it.
Two questions -
1) What do you all think of the Lee Tumble Lube, no sizing design?
(Seems convenient, though my all-time favorite is 358429.)
2) Why do you call them 'boolits'? Can I say 'bullets'?

shotman
12-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Lee is good just heat it up first. Next the name of the site is Boolits--- bullets wear a copper dress . welcome rick

copdills
12-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum

sav300
12-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the forum from down under.

missionary5155
12-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I like them... All those grooves give alot of versitility for seating depth in my revolvers.

dromia
12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Steve, bullets wear a copper condom thats why we call lead boolits, boolits to differentiate.

Its also the name of the Site, 45 Nut the site owner will give you chapter and verse, read his signature line.

Boerrancher
12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Welcome aboard sir,

I will not delve into the spelling of our hobby, but will say that I have had good results from the Lee TL design moulds. I did note that you need to slug your bore because some of the TL's do need to be sized if you have a tight bore, or you may run into higher than normal pressures.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

HABCAN
12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Welcome, Steven!

Since starting to use the LEE TL designs and their push-thru sizing system last year, I have become a big fan. For ME using MY straight WW alloy, all 'rifle' LEEs cast undersize and molds necessitate Beagling to perform acceptably in MY rifles. That said, TL45TC 6-holer is fine as is for the pistol.

Adding to Boerrancher's post above, I have found that sizing to THROAT dimension of a firearm is much more important than sizing to BORE dimension, particularly in revolvers! I size as large as possible to still chamber easily, and with the LEE TL boolits that usually means NOT. YMMV.

Again, welcome. Enjoy!

Shiloh
12-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I like them... All those grooves give alot of versitility for seating depth in my revolvers.

I like the TL grooves as seating depth indexing units myself.

For me, the big advantage of the tumble lube design is that it allows one to cast up a bucket full of boolits, run 'em through a LEE sizer for consistancy, lube them all up and you're done. Now they are all lubed and ready to go at your loading and shooting convenience.

Shiloh :castmine:

41mag
12-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Hoping not to hyjack but was wandering about the TL as well. Been a member for a while but do more reading than posting. I am just getting set up to do some casting and have a TL mold for my 41.

I was wandering what you all have found to be the best mix of allow, as well as which lube would be best suited for that particular alloy?

In talking with the only fellow I know who does cast, he mentioned that the TL design is best suited for 1000 fps or lower velocities, have you found this to be the case?

Thanks

timkelley
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
41mag, I have tumble lube molds in 45 and 38. For my 45 autos they need to be sized at .452 to feed well and in 45 Colt I can just cast, load, and shoot. In 38, most revolvers will chamber and shoot but I have a Dan Wesson they have to be sized for.
I use straight clipon wheelweight and shoot them fast as I can stand the recoil. I don't have a chrono. but I can sure get my hand to sting with no leading.

pls1911
12-09-2008, 08:33 PM
If the question is about the lee Liquid alox, juus pick your boolit, cast, lube and shoot.

I've done it all with many calibers and bullet designs., and if you can get in the cylinder unsized and lubed with LLA most revolvers will just love 'em.
This last weekend, I loaded up 45 colt for my brother's birthday, NOT a TL design, but TL'd with LLA cut about 40% with mineral spirits.
255 RNFP, 9 grains UNIQUE, WW alloy (more or less) into a sand pile from a ruger 7.5" Blackhawk.

The result of 12 rounds was the same as with standard lube: Two feet plus penetration, expansion to between .74 and .82 caliber, absolutely NO leading. Pig thumpers..... huge slap factor... LOLOLOL