PDA

View Full Version : Rosin core solder for adding tin????

mikenbarb
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I just came into ALOT of free Rosin-core solder thats a 40/60 mix and im wondering if this stuff can be added to my lead for the tin content I need? I never used it before with a rosin core but I have used the plain stuff and it worked great. Thanks in advance.:-D

WineMan
12-05-2008, 10:57 PM
The rosin should act as a nice flux. Just follow the percentage of tin (60/40?) for your recipie. The fumes from an Acid core solder could be very hazardous but the rosin is like pine tree sap which I use (lots of downed Digger pines in my area) for a flux.

Wineman

lathesmith
12-05-2008, 11:22 PM
What Wineman said +1. You can often buy solder with tin at cheaper than scrap price, and it works fine for our hobby. Enjoy!
lathesmith

alamogunr
12-06-2008, 12:50 AM
I've got about 80 # of the 40/60 rosin core that I salvaged at work (They were going to scrap it). So far I haven't used much of it since I have much more 50/50 solid wire solder and solder ingots that was also going to be scrapped. The rosin core should make a good addition to the casting pot when a little tin is needed. I hadn't thought of the flux aspect. I do know that adding too much makes a mess on the wall of the pot. The smell could be somewhat addictive too.

cajun shooter
12-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Mike, I use 60/40 rosin core solder to do two things. One is to add tin and the side use is to flux. When added to your pot it will smoke like hell. Lite this with a match to burn the fumes while stirring your pot. It will as stated above leave a dark residue on side of pot, but no problems.

mikenbarb
12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
:drinks: Thanks everyone.

ubetcha
12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
As I understand,lead free solder is mostly tin.I usally add some to my alloy when mixing for castability

Tom Herman
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use solder of any sort (Tin/Lead). The only caveats would be to take into consideration the weight of the flux. I would melt it, possibly skim off the excess flux with a rag or paper towel, and call it good.
The other caution would be acid core solder. I'm saving it up to be processed separately.
Time before last that I bought scrap lead, they dropped in a 5# roll of the biggest solder I've ever seen! I take bars of that and drop them into my 1:1 Lead/wheel weight mixture to harden them.
All you have to do is calculate the amount of Tin needed, and how much you have in your solder. Pretty simple.
I also have about 30 pounds of the Grainger solid tin solder stashed away (It all melts and alloys!).

Happy Shootin'! -Tom