PDA

View Full Version : A Windfall!

Three44s
09-16-2020, 12:14 AM
A neighbor called me yesterday wanting to know if I wanted some stuff .....

He describes some fencing materials, I ranch so that’s a given. It’s all going rosy and then he lays the big news!

He was given a significant amount of smokeless powder, predominately in sealed jugs!

I argue with him as he keeps saying he’s going back into handloading and I remind him about that and thus he needs to keep it for now.

So today rolls around and here comes that stash!

Five full unopened new style one pounders of Unique and five one pounders of late style packaged IMR 4198. Two of those had been broken into.

As he was preparing to leave I reminded him that so long as the powder remained unburnt, it was in my book “his” powder to be reclaimed if he began reloading. To that he asks for me to re-acquaint him with the process. I laugh because I have always told him he had that favor “on the books” already so to speak.

Don’t worry, I know how to fertilize lawns, so let’s leave that debate for another thread please.

Anyway, packing home ten pounds of my favorite kind of solid fuel really crowned off a good day!

Three44s

fcvan
09-16-2020, 01:45 AM
Some years ago, my cousin gave me an 8 pound keg of red dot. He said he couldn’t use it for shotgun and had no use for it. My brother and I loaded the heck out of that 8 pounds of powder, and took him some loads that he could use it in his 357. He was happy we were happy. Almost as happy as when dad sent us home with a 15 pound keg of unique. He quit reloading stating “you boys always keep me in ammo.“ And we do. By the way, these were old cardboard kegs of powder, 1970s era. Both have been stored in a cool dry place for all those years. It shot fine

Three44s
09-16-2020, 10:25 AM
Well I am glad these powders I was given are late manufacture because I hate to lose powder due to age. I have some Unique and 4198 already but have focused on drying up a supply of Rl 11 that is surprisingly still good yet. That powder was discontinued over 50 years ago!

The Unique can go in my wheel guns but I am a bigger fan of HS6 and it also will surely see some cast work.

I am going to work at getting the gifter of this powder back into loading and I have two nephews getting into loading to smooth out my supply bulge.

Anyway, “nice problem to have”! Lol!

Three44s