PDA

View Full Version : sticky for beginners just starting out

farmbif
09-15-2020, 12:05 PM
in try aid those new to reloading and casting I was thinking this might be something that some of the years of experience here could help beginners with.
there are some things that are very important they should know such as the abc's of reloading. I know sometime I get stuck down a rabbit hole trying to figure out the best solution to a particular problem with a specific situation. but what im speaking of is generalized info for people starting out.
the guy that's wanting to start reloading 38spl and the other guy who was asking how to get steel clips off wheel weights got me thinking about this
what are the best tools for a beginner wanting to get to the range and shoot a few boxes of ammo on days off?
how and where do you find the best deals on stuff for those on a tight budget?
does this make any sense?

Conditor22
09-15-2020, 12:09 PM
The Google custom search box at the top right of every page is the best place to start for all your questions
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Classics-amp-Stickies
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?208-Frequently-Asked-Questions
https://ammoseek.com/

metricmonkeywrench
09-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Honestly for me this site is one big stickie for all that your asking, the search function is somewhat ok to narrow down results but you have to be specific on your search, but the biggest part is the collective knowledge of the members willing to take time out of their lives to provide references, answers, recommendation's, mental support and in some cases condolences.

I also work under a self imposed tight budget it can be done with a lot of patience, use of swap and sell forums here and elsewhere (local gun trader site?) and most of all focusing on the needs before the wants. Where posable buy or trade for Groups or Lots of items, this builds your trade fodder to get the things you ultimately want. Like reloading equipment before you know it you have a pile of casting equipment and need a bigger space to keep it all.

Ozark mike
09-16-2020, 02:03 AM
Im not a big fan of the google search i use the site search

David2011
09-19-2020, 07:45 PM
I have better luck using Bing (I don’t use Google) and preceding the search words with castboolits to send the search in the right direction. It seems to work much better than the embedded search function.

Winger Ed.
09-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Its a good idea, but how many times does some come in and ask questions that are already well covered in the stickies?

The moral of the story is new folks over look them, or expect to be spoon fed rather than doing their own research.

jimlj
09-20-2020, 07:10 PM
Its a good idea, but how many times does some come in and ask questions that are already well covered in the stickies?

The moral of the story is new folks over look them, or expect to be spoon fed rather than doing their own research.

Some of the forums here have 20 or more stickies, and some of those stickies have several pages of posts. It's sometimes hard to find what you want. I doubt another sticky will help much.

reddog81
09-21-2020, 02:13 AM
If there’s one thing that annoys my about this forum is that there are too many stickies in some of the subforums. Scrolling through 2 dozen stickies just to view new posts is a pain. There is a whole subforum just for stickies and classic post.

bakerjw
09-21-2020, 10:55 AM
From my experience, stickies work best when the original poster takes all pertinent content from thread responses and edits the OP to add them into it. There are many good threads that are stickied but it takes reading through several pages of posts to gather all of the information.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-23-2020, 09:44 AM
"searching" is an artform.

When I need to search for something, I always start with the website's google custom search.

then I try the advanced search...this is tricky, and there is a long learning curve to utilize it well.

then I'll go to google's website...many times, I use Google's image search, you'd be surprised at how fast you can scan through images to find info.

Always, when searching, continually change up keywords, and the order of the best keywords.

Four-Sixty
09-23-2020, 08:01 PM
I've thought about this issue. I kept coming to the conclusion a book is needed. Maybe multiple volumes. I've been working on mine (a bullet casting book) for almost a year now. It is pretty challenging to organize the data!

farmbif
09-23-2020, 08:07 PM
lots of good points, jonb is so right, searching is an art form. like trying to find the truth in the news we get these days, a mine field of rabbit holes to go down