PDA

View Full Version : Filling crimp grooves full of lube...

kir_kenix
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
How do you all feel about filling the lube grooves full of lube? I nearly always do. I feel that the more lube the better! Sometimes a bit of lube is forced out, that I have to clean off with a cloth before I fire the rounds.

I had a friend of mine over this morning to load up some handgun rounds and he commented on this. His stand is that while crimping, some of the lube might be forced back into the case and slightly bulge the case. I have never, ever witnessed this, but I suppose it is possible.

Anyway, I was just wondering how everyone else loaded their ammo. When I put together large quantities of plinking ammo that might be fired in one of several guns of that caliber, I just feel that the more lube to protect the bore the better. If I'm putting together ammo to shoot groups with, I'm a bit more picky, and might try both to see what shoots better.

jonk
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I've done it.

I find a good load, one thing I'll do is try lubing 1, 2, 3, 4, whatever, up to all the grooves, crimp or otherwise. Sometimes makes a difference.

Calamity Jake
12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
For hand gun boolets I don't, in most cases the extra lube is not needed.
For some rifle applications, it may very well be needed,

Only your rifle knows for sure!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

largom
12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Agree with JONK. Experiment, you may find different guns will like different amounts of lub. I also change brands of lub sometimes.
Larr

Tom Herman
12-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I figured it out... I reread the title. I never lube the crimp grooves. Most of my bullets are Keith type, and have big ol' grease grooves. I'd never put grease anywhere it's exposed to the outside world, because it can pick up dirt, and we don't want that going down the barrel.
I even wipe down the rounds after I load them to get rid of any smeared lube.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

DLCTEX
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I do not lube any grooves that will be left exposed anymore due to the grit that accumulates on exposed lube. In our dry, dusty environment grit is a constant problem.I haven't had leading problems, but I also don't push the velocity envelope either.

kir_kenix
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I also agree that some experimenting is in order to find the absolute best shooting combination for a single gun. However, I often times cast 2-3000 boolits and lube them in a session or 2. These could be used in any number of guns (especially .30's, which could be loaded into any of a dozen rifles), so I feel the extra lube may protect the bore. All of these usually get loaded as "plinker" loads, rarely approaching 2k fps.

I see no adverse effects of lubing the crimp groove, but wondered what others opinions of the process were. I say, LUBE, LUBE, LUBE, LUBE when in doubt.

vanilla_gorilla
12-06-2008, 02:31 AM
With the Keith boolits I've been casting and pan lubing, I actually make sure to clean extra lube out of the crimp groove before loading. Otherwise, it seems to really make a mess and get everywhere, and I'm a little afraid of the lube being forced back during the crimp. I store my ammo bullet down, so I don't want to take the risk of the powder getting gunked and not burning.

Boerrancher
12-06-2008, 02:50 AM
I try to use as little lube as possible. There is not hardly a more sickening feeling than having a round not go off when you most need it to do so because the excess lube contaminated the powder. The only thing worse is when the lube contaminates the powder and the boolit gets lodged half way up the barrel.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

runfiverun
12-06-2008, 11:10 AM
in some recent experiments i have done i have found that a few loads do indeed like all the lube they can get.
now a similar load likes all the lube contained in the neck and the exposed grooves clean.

Shiloh
12-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I never had a problem by adjusting the depth of the lubrisizor to skip a groove on a handgun boolit. There is always a lube star on the muzzle. I fill all the grooves on rifle boolits as the barrel length is four times that of my handguns. I get a lube star on the rifles as well. When I find recovered rifle boolits there is still a trace of lube on them.

Shiloh

Shiloh
12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I never had a problem by adjusting the depth of the lubrisizor to skip a groove on a handgun boolit. There is always a lube star on the muzzle. I fill all the grooves on rifle boolits as the barrel length is four times that of my handguns. I get a lube star on the rifles as well. When I find recovered rifle boolits there is still a trace of lube on them.

Shiloh