PDA

View Full Version : Has any one else??

KCSO
12-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Many years ago I bought a Lyman mold for 45 acp. The bullet was a 175 gr semi wadcutter and the mold was marked Dinan Special. Has anyone else ever seen one? Does anyone have any history on these?

The bullet always fed well and shot good, but I just got tired of casting one at a time and went to other molds.

9.3X62AL
12-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Perhaps Floodgate has some info on this one--is there the usual "452-XXX" identifier on it, or just the "Dinan Special" impression? I know how ya feel about single cavity molds--I wouldn't want to be obligated to empty out my RCBS 22 pounder using just the Lyman #257312 single I have. One long contract.

floodgate
12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Jim, Al:

No info as yet. But the phrase "Dinan Accuracy Job" stuck in my mind, so I tried "Dinan, accuracy" on Goggle, and came up with:

http://www30.brinkster.com/jdschool/Testimonials.htm

So James Dinan is probably the one who special-ordered the mould. Jim, please check and post, PM or e-mail me ANY & ALL numbers on both blocks. Lyman made a lot of "specials" in the #xxx5xx series, and I wonder if this is one of them.

floodgate

45 2.1
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
There was an article written long ago about Dinan and his testing of roll crimp versus taper crimp or no crimp 45 ACP out of a machine rest. I think he mentioned this particular bullet as the one tested.