PDA

View Full Version : Sass Convention Report

Just Duke
12-05-2008, 12:59 AM
The wife and I went to the Sass convention just cuz it's here.

The people were all wonderful and friendly as we expected.
The outfits were all very nice and the ladies in their period outfits were lovely.
The vendors were all very pleasant and no big egos.
Ruger had a very small maybe 8 guns and the fella running the both was very cogenial.
Bianchi/Safariland both was small and was carring the new Cowboy Line of Holsters and belts. We missed our good friends Scott Carnahan and Kandi of Safariland/Bianchi though. They could not make it.
Mernickle Holsters were there and Bob and Sherrie were a blast and asked us to join them at Fremont Experi. For drinks at the cowboy bar there. We really like them. Bob is 62 years old and acts like a spry young man of 27.
Wild West Merchantile/Tonto Rim/Wah Maker were all there and had the most awesome setup of all.
NRA was there but their insurance policy now only covers $1000 worth the guns now. <sad>
The ladies outfits were again STUNNING!!! Of course the wife wanted somemore even though she still has most that have not been worn.
I WLL BE GREATLY REWARDED THOUGH.
They invited us (Buffalo Barbie) to the Saloon Girl Competition tonight but we came home and the wife said her feet hurt to much. <very sad>
The turn out was very very low. We were very surprised but we were told alot of folks have dropped out because of ammo prices. Vendors all scaled back and 25 percent canceled when fuel prices were through the ceiling. I was hoping to see lots of cool outfits. Kid Sopris made it though.
D Bar J Hats had a really nice setup and has put leather sweat bands in all our hats. He is a local vendor.

Buckshot
12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
.............I think a lot of these exhibition type venues (of whatever type) will be poorly attended for some time. The economic conditions, the recent election, etc are tending to keep folks closer to home and money is held a bit tighter.

Donna and I went to a home improvement exhibition a couple months ago at the LA County Fairgrounds and it was DEAD! We went the third day (Sunday). An exhibiter told us probably 10% packed up early Saturday and didn't bother to set up Sunday. The promoters had originally taken a position on 2 buildings but due to a poor response from exhibitors caused them to cancel one building. The one building was maybe 2/3rds used. There was enough room between people in the aisles to have a square dance.

................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
12-05-2008, 08:33 AM
On the other hand, the Hampton Gun Show was packed. Parking lot packed, wall to wall people. Or so it was reported to me, I didn't go. Fellow therapist picked up a P3AT. I may have the joy of teaching his wife to shoot. She's not frightened of that little gun!

ddeaton
12-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I was thinking of going to Shotshow in Orlando coming up. Never been to one. What do you guys think? Bad time to try to hit one?

Doc Highwall
12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Gas prices are $1.79 or less around here right now. I hat to miss a gun show, as a matter in fact I have got some of my best deals at a 200 table gun show or smaller. My philosophy is if I don't go I will miss everything and I just might find a gem if I go.

DLCTEX
12-05-2008, 07:24 PM
My sons and DIL's went to one near there recently for a concealed carry class. The turnout for the gunshow and the concealed carry class were unbelievably packed. Bargains weren't in evidence due to the demand. Obama is having a good effect on the gun industry right now.

Dark Helmet
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Crowded Sunday, folks lined up, 200 plus waiting to get in before it opened. After 11 am it was crowded and I was glad to leave.