PDA

View Full Version : A free Snider Carbine

Buckshot
12-25-2005, 03:20 AM
............I don't recall if I posted this here or not. A friend (and a board member here) is retired RCMP. I was talking to him awile back and mentioned the Snider action I'd gotten from E-Bay. So he asks if I like Snider stuff and naturally I said sure. Said he had some Snider stuff and I was welcome to it if I wanted it.

I said that'd be great and he said he'd get it boxed up and shipped. Last week I picked it up from the PO. What he'd sent was a Snider carbine, complete except for the screw that holds the hammer on. At one time it had been a rifle. Just before the muzzle you can see where a barrel band had been.

The action is a Snider MkII*. All is in very good shape and the barrel is bright and shiney with 3 strong lands. There are a couple discolored spots here and there in the barrel but they aren't bad. The stock had an old crack in the toe, which was no big deal to glue and clamp up. You wouldn't know it was there now. The muzzle has a small wire edge turned up into the bore that I'll need to chamfer out.

I never even notice till the other day that there's no front sight on it :)! Guess it's time for the bent wire and hose clamps so I figure out how high it needs to be.

I'll take some photo's of it and get them posted in a couple days. Oughta be a real gas to shoot.

I've had a 3 band Snider for sometime. Long ago I mentioned it at the range. My shooting buddy Ron said he'd make a case for it. Amongst a bunch of old 577-450 stuff I had an unfired but unloaded Kynoch 577-450 case. He took it and with maniac glee rendered it into a 577 Snider case. The next Tuesday I'd brought some BP and a couple Minie's with some Berdan primers and the tools to de-and re-cap the thing.

I loaded the case up with 70grs of Swiss 2Fg BP a card wad and set the lubed Minie' in the case. The case didn't hold the slug at all. You had to hold the rifle muzzle up to load so the slug wouldn't fall out of the case. I perched my left buttcheek on a bench and pulled the trigger. That first attempt brought only a clack of the hammer. I wasn't taking the ole beastie very seriously, and the next trigger pull brought a bellow and a roar that honestly about rolled me over backwards off the bench [smilie=w:

You couldn't call a shot on the 100 yard berm and expect a hit, but it was so much fun we fired and reloaded that one case till we ran out of Minie's.

..................Buckshot

Frank46
12-25-2005, 05:18 AM
Buckshot, Merry Christmas. You seem to have a knack for getting hold of the oldies but goodies. Haven't seen a snider in the flesh in God knows how long. Must have been fun to shoot. Frank

Blackwater
12-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Buckshot, you're defying the "Only ACCURATE rifles are interesting" law, or didn't you know that??? But ya' got away with it, soooooo ..... Merry Christmas! :bigsmyl2: Ain't it FUN to "break th' law" sometimes?

bart55
12-26-2005, 12:57 AM
I have an old snyder carbine and have loaded and shot it for a few years now , kicks like a mule light weight and a big slug ,got an rcbs mould that casts at aboiut .597 lube it up with emmerts card wad and 95gr ffg ,shoots pretty good at 50yds ( well I can keep it on a bull anyway) and I have taken a small doe with it a couple of years ago . Lots of looks at the range and a hoot to shoot