PDA

View Full Version : hellofashot video

jim4065
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iBfO_E7RRk

Unbelievable.

Tom Herman
12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I couldn't see what he shot... Remarkable shot! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

hicard
12-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder what caliber he was shooting?

WildmanJack
12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Looked like an Elk to me. Sure had a big rack..
Jack

C1PNR
12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I wonder what caliber he was shooting?
The 338 Edge. A friend of mine has one and is VERY happy with it. I don't know, recoil and cost of ammo - brass mostly, could be a bit problematic.

I'm hoping to shoot his in the Spring when we go for Rock Chucks. He wants to shoot one at 1,000 yards.[smilie=1:

FN in MT
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Hell of a STUNT. Certainly not hunting though.

FN in MT

jim4065
12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxRSNJkPQ4&feature=related

Target practice with the same cartridge.

35remington
12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
He's lucky he didn't wound the thing at that range.

Very lucky.

When I have to account for bullet drop or a midrange trajectory that numbers in the many feet, it's too darn far to shoot. Even if it is lasered to the nearest yard.

HeavyMetal
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
But was it!

Not sure what he was shooting at the picture was so fuzzy, I'm not sure it was even moving.

Nice shot for the distance but that could have been an Elk OR a big pile of mud with a hide draped over it.

I personnelly would like to see a much clearer picture. I figure the camera man was the same one they get for all the "Big foot" footage and UFO sightings!

Old Ironsights
12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
There's also a shot of a Bear at 1016yds...

If you go to their site (defensiveedge.net) the videos are a little bit clearer. You can actually see the antlers on the bedded elk and it do a roll at 950 on their main clip...

Geraldo
12-09-2008, 10:59 PM
You can also see a first round miss on their 1600 yard shot. Be bad to hit the wrong part of an animal and have it wander into brush at 1/2-1 mile.

I've got no problem with long range shooting, but sniping for game is another matter.

Halfbreed
12-09-2008, 11:00 PM
the target in the you tube video was a 12" steel plate, Call it what you want. But many hunters are not able bodied to walk up and down the hills anymore.
I for one am extremely fortunate, I was nearly paralyzed from the waist down.
2 major back surgeries and 9 months of physical therapy to kinda walk like a human being again. Without an atv of some sort i will never be able to hunt again. So stalking is definatly out. And I want to hunt hogs with my Taurus raging bull very badly.
But long range hunting is probably the only way I will ever be able to hunt deer again, as I can't stalk or walk very far at all. 150 yards is about it. slowly,
differant strokes for differant folks, and you might should consider condemning somebody elses way of hunting before somebody comdemns your way too.
my .02 cents worth.
John

FN in MT
12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Halfbreed,

Yours is most likely a different situation than the gents who did the video. I've assisted a few disabled hunters get deer and elk in the past and we either shot out of a vehicle or off an ATV.

I stand by my post as I do not agree with the long range hunting of game animals. Far too many things can go wrong resulting in a wounded animal that is 1/2 mile or more away. Yes there surely are very gifted shooters out there who can make some long shots on game. But I still feel that during the time in flight, an animal can move, the wind between the shooter and the target can gust, etc. Too many variables for me. A game animal deserves a quick and humane end.

No more posts from me.......the LR hunting threads run the same as the .223's for deer and elk threads.

FN in MT

DLCTEX
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Some people criticize taking shots at 400-500 yds. as being excessively long range and say it is poor sportsmanship. Some people have practiced and proven long range shooting at targets and varmits and know their limits. I've known shooter's who shouldn't shoot at game at 100 yds. and less. I also know a local fellow who took a deer at 860 measured yds. I would only be critical of the shooter if he blows the shot.

Old Ironsights
12-10-2008, 01:10 AM
You can also see a first round miss on their 1600 yard shot. Be bad to hit the wrong part of an animal and have it wander into brush at 1/2-1 mile.

I've got no problem with long range shooting, but sniping for game is another matter.

Interesting thing about animal physiology... the less aware/alert (i.e.relaxed) they are, the less likely they are to react to a hit - except to go shockey & die.

Adreneline does funny things to a critter... lets it run 200yds with no heart... but no adreneline + any reasonable (boiler room) hit = pretty quick lethality.

jim4065
12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Since the quarry was still laying down I think we can presume it was a first shot. That elevates it from stunt to damn good shooting. Contrast that with Elmer Keith, who missed completely with his first shot but scored a (lucky) solid hit on the second - yet he is idolized. Which shot was an unsportsmanlike stunt?

Junior1942
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
IIRC, Elmer's shot was at a wounded deer.

Blammer
12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
amazing shot!

Cudos to the skilled master and his shot.

and yes, once again the old beast of "at what distance is it not 'hunting'?" comes up.

each to his own and each to his preferred decipline within the shooting community.

leadman
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I read the original article on Elmer's shoooting the deer at over 450 yards with a handgun. He only starting shooting after his partner wounded it with a rifle and the deer ran up the side of the mountain. Do you shoot or let a wounded animal get away?

rvpilot76
12-12-2008, 01:11 AM
The guy building those rifles is Shawn Carlock. The guy can shoot, as he was the US "manually operated rifle" champion a couple of years ago. He has a business, "Defensive Edge" , and is a stand up guy and father. I wouldn't feel safe in his sights within a mile, or even slightly ouside of one. He's up in North Idaho in Post Falls if you guys are interested. That cartridge, the .338 Edge, is built on a 300 Remington Ultramag, and not a 338 Ultramag. The 300 has more volume. Shawn also teaches long range shooting classes. He's not just one of these "Kentucky windage" guys either. All his shots are well-planned; taking barometric pressure, elevation, temperature, wind, etc. into consideration before the shot is ever made. Seriously, the guy's a machine. I wish we had more like him in Afghanistan. There'd be a few less Taliban in the world.