PDA

View Full Version : Redding die marks

jcw1970
12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Look what my Redding seating die did to my perfect 311576's. Redding sells a SWC seating plug, think this will work? Anyone have a better idea?

oneokie
12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Call them or send them an email. Or......get some hot melt glue or epoxy and put some in the cavity of the seater plug, lube the nose of the boolit and run one of those assembled rounds back in the seater die, allowing the glue or epoxy to harden.

12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Yep very common! "one size fits all" thing
What oneokie said may be the best way if you are going to stay with the one bullet nose profile.

Expanding a little. One thing to try before gluing one to fit.... Take the stem and plug out and chuck in a drill. Take some 600 or finer grit sandpaper and form a "roundish" bullet and with finger pressure knock the sharp edge off the plug.

If wanting a perfect fit... clean the seater plug out with some acetone or alcohol. Turn die upside down, clamp to something or reversed in press.... with seater stem and plug installed and as near vertical as possible. Lube or coat a bullet with JPW. Use a loaded cartridge. Place a little dab of JB Weld epoxy in bottom of seater plug. Place loaded round into die. This helps keep the "glue mold" in the plug aligned correctly. Gravity will help. Let set up overnight and presto "new plug" to exact contour of bullet nose. Don't use too much epoxy.... if it overflows the plug it will run down into the die :roll:

jcw1970
12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm going to order an extra one from Redding and try the epoxy method. I still need the factory plug cause I still load those jacketed bullets from time to time. One question, how bad are the rings going to effect the boolit?

missionary5155
12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Greetings jcw1970... These look fine to me... The real question is do they function through the magazine and chamber and fire and cycle the action correctly ?
This is just cosmetics. But I understand the desire to have that perfect looking boolit... but no bowling pin, can, paper target.. on preditor will ever know the diference.

GSM
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Expand the case a little more - the round on the left looks like it's shaving the bullet. Beyond that, do the epoxy trick with the seater. The SWC seater might leave a flat spot on the nose.

jcw1970
12-04-2008, 08:10 PM
funny you mentioned that. if you look closely, you can see where the case split in the middle. Only case that failed out of 500. Never heard of the manufacture. A-MERC. Only case in the bunch. I'm trying to keep the crimp down to a min so i don't flair out the case too much.

KYCaster
12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I throw A-Merc brass in the scrap bucket.

I did a Google search and found threads on the 1911 Forum, The High Road, The Firing Line and others...all seem to agree...A-MERC brass is junk.

Jerry

Morgan Astorbilt
12-05-2008, 02:07 AM
If you want to permanently shape the plug to the bullet, mount the plug in a drill press chuck, put a bit of valve grinding compound in the cavity, and bring it down on a bullet, held in a pair of pliers. The abrasive will embed itself in the soft lead, and lap the cavity to the bullet's shape. The epoxy method sounds good, but I've been using this method for many years, on both seating plugs and sizing die top punches.
Morgan

GSM
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
A-MERC brass is mis-labled, it should be C-RAP.

Only brass I've ever had that would not hold a 45 bullet after the brass had been sized.