PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 7600 & .35 Ranch Dog

jwhite
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
As soon as I received my new .35 RD mold I headed for the cellar, got the pot heating and the mold ready. The pot was full of 50% WW/50% plain lead so I figured I'd just water drop them and they should be hard enough for full speed loads. In no time the mold was dropping nice looking bullets, a touch big at .363 but hey I rather have them big than too small. This morning I loaded some up in .35 rem cases, mixed head stamps, and 2.8 cc Lee dipper charge of IMR 3031. The first group was just under 1" at 50 yards with peep sites, fired several more groups same thing, moved back to 100yards and was able to keep 4 shots in a 2" stick on target, fired another clip full at a Fosters can set up on the sand pile and all 4 shots centered up nicely in the can. I am very happy so far, these were just thrown together loads, might have to stick a scope on the rifle and see what it will do with some serious experimenting.

I also tried this bullet in a .35 Whelen Ruger #1, loaded some with 20gr IMR4227, a load that has proved accurate in other Whelens but it did not shot real well in this rifle, also tried another load 2.5cc of Data 68, this shot a little better but still nothing like the .35 rem pump gun. I will try the Ranch Dog in my Remington 700 .35 Whelen and see how it does.

This mold is a great deal for anyone shooting .35's, can get the mold with handles and a sizer for less money than a new lyman or RCBS mold by its self, what bargain.

jbc
12-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Just curious if you used a standard .358 size die or the larger ranchdog sizer in your 7600. I have a 760 in .35 rem that i was seriously thinking of getting the ranchdog mold for and would like to know your experiences. By the way those are some nice lookin stocks - where did you get them??

jwhite
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
JBC,

I used the bigger RD sizer. The stocks are from Boyds, they really feel good, eye is lined right up with the william receiver site. The stocks really helped this rifle out, it came with the Rem. plastic stocks and they just did not fit me real well. I am planning on loading up some light "bunny&squirrel" loads with this bullet soon and will post the results if I find something that really works well.