PDA

View Full Version : small pistol vs small rifle primers.

jimlj
08-20-2020, 01:20 PM
I have read small pistol and small rifle primers are the same/interchangeable. I have also read your gonads would fall off and beagle puppies everywhere will die if you use the wrong primer.

I have used small rifle primers in all of my pistols, and a AR 9mm "pistol" with no problems. (Standard AR15 lower and parts) I have not tried small pistol primers in small rifle cases (yet). What do you think?

DeadWoodDan
08-20-2020, 01:24 PM
All depends on application. If your at max pressures you better have the right components or danger to yourself andv those around you

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

JimB..
08-20-2020, 01:38 PM
Folks use SRP, SRMP, and SPMP in place of SPP all the time, just work up to the load as you would when changing any component.

Fewer folks seem to use SPP in place of SRP and I’m not heard of anyone using them in place of a magnum primer. The basic guideline seems to be that if you’re load is at pistol pressures then a pistol primer will probably be fine. Watch for pierced primers.

centershot
08-20-2020, 01:45 PM
A while back, on Leverguns.com, IIRC, someone posted that he had called and talked to someone at CCI. They told him that their SPM were the same as their SR primers, different label but the same mix and amount of compound. AFAIK, that's where it begins and ends. LR and LP use different size cups (STUPID idea!) so no compatibility there. Not that anyone hasn't used LP primers in their 30-30 or whatever caliber rifle from time to time, it works, usually. AND, the SPM-SR thing is only true of CCI, AFAIK! It may apply to other brands, maybe not.

flyer1
08-20-2020, 01:48 PM
I made the mistake of using spp in place of srp. Ended up having the spp pierced from in the inside out where the firing pin struck the primer. This was with the .223 in an ar15. I was told by cci that the pistol primers are softer than rifle primers.

farmbif
08-20-2020, 01:49 PM
there are differences in primers, Remington 1 1/2' are good only for 38 spl and other low pressure loads same with Remington 6 1/2's good for 25-20, 22 hornet-- low pressure loads. regular federal primers in general seem softer than other brands I guess that's why they offer ar sr primers and all the benchers primers they offer. the only ones I would think of interchanging only if I absolutely had to would be small pistol magnum primers in place of sr primers and would be very careful in watching as I worked up loads. there is a reason why there are sp, spm, sr, srm and so on. save up money now so when stores are stocked and prices normalized you can get what you will need for future use.

dtknowles
08-20-2020, 01:59 PM
I sometimes use small pistol primers in my 22 hornet rifle loads. I sometimes use small rifle primers in my .357 Max pistol loads. Depends on the choice of powder and pressure. Low pressure, easy to ignite powder usually small pistol primers offer better accuracy. High Pressures and slower powders small rifle or magnum small rifle primers are needed. Any doubts, use a load from the manual and use the components in the manual.

Tim

dangitgriff
08-20-2020, 05:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200820/2f7d72ebdb6bed972c9840865820b44f.jpg
R/Griff

dragon813gt
08-20-2020, 07:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200820/2f7d72ebdb6bed972c9840865820b44f.jpg
R/Griff

This is great for dimensions but it doesn’t account for cup hardness or brisance. Dimensions are only part of the story.

If you want to know the difference call the manufacturer. There’s no reason to believe the internet when you can get the answer straight from the source. And regardless of the answer if you have a load worked up w/ one primer type you need to rework up the load if you switch types.

M-Tecs
08-20-2020, 08:00 PM
Very correct. One of the better examples are the Remington 6 1/2 verse the Remington 7 1/2. Both are small rifle primers of physically the same size yet the 6 1/2 will only handle low to medium pressures while th3e 7 1/2 reportedly will handle the highest pressures of all brands of primers.

This is great for dimensions but it doesn’t account for cup hardness or brisance. Dimensions are only part of the story.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php#:~:text=%20%20%20Rifle%20 Primer%20Dimension%20%20,%20Small%20Rifle%20%2016% 20more%20rows%20

redneck1
08-20-2020, 08:03 PM
I've used plenty of small rifle primers in place of small pistol .
Never gave it much thought , but 99% of what I load is low pressure and not a concern if they happen to be a bit hotter .
I've never gone the other way though . not knowing for sure never deemed it worth a chance with higher pressure rifle loads .

dangitgriff
08-20-2020, 08:05 PM
I agree with your point, but manufacturers have to fabricate their products to a standardized specification.
My point being, according to SAAMI specs, SPP & SRP are dimensionally interchangeable whereas LPP and LRP are not.
R/Griff

Stephen Cohen
08-20-2020, 08:22 PM
I sometimes use small pistol primers in my 22 hornet rifle loads. I sometimes use small rifle primers in my .357 Max pistol loads. Depends on the choice of powder and pressure. Low pressure, easy to ignite powder usually small pistol primers offer better accuracy. High Pressures and slower powders small rifle or magnum small rifle primers are needed. Any doubts, use a load from the manual and use the components in the manual.

Tim

It has been a well held belief that pistol primers in the Hornet gives better accuracy.Regards Stephen

Battis
08-21-2020, 04:50 AM
Last week, I loaded some mild .32 acp loads, some with SPP, some with SRP. At the range, my 1914 Mauser handled both with no problems, but my 1907 Savage had a few problems with the SRP (weak spring maybe). Accuracy and velocity were the same. I only used the SRPs because I had them and I'm running out of SPP.

Jkrem
08-21-2020, 12:14 PM
I’m late to this thread, but I loaded some light 38sp castboolit target loads with federal small pistol primers last week, and am happy to report my gonads did not fall off and our neighbor’s beagle pup did not keel over. As I was shooting my 2” model 36, accuracy is a relative thing but I was putting them all in minute of paper plate.

jimlj
08-21-2020, 08:21 PM
I'm going to reinforce a jock strap with gorilla tape and load a few .223 with some Winchester sp magnum primers. Watch your pups.

If I live through it I'll report back.

Martin Luber
08-21-2020, 09:08 PM
I'm going to reinforce a jock strap with gorilla tape and load a few .223 with some Winchester sp magnum primers. Watch your pups.

Ready to buy new firing pins?

I wouldn't risk gas in the face

M-Tecs
08-21-2020, 09:31 PM
SP in place of SR in AR's carries another concern of increased risk of slam fires.

JimB..
08-21-2020, 10:08 PM

Several potential issues with this as already pointed out. If you’re cautious enough to stick to pistol pressures you probably aren’t going to cycle an AR.

When you say “hold my beer” I say “roll video!” Good luck

jimlj
08-21-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks for helping me put the brakes on my stupidity. I'll refrain from the sp primer in my 223. Your pups (and my gonads) are safe.

JimB..
08-22-2020, 12:55 AM
Thanks for helping me put the brakes on my stupidity. I'll refrain from the sp primer in my 223. Your pups (and my gonads) are safe.
My pup thanks you.
If you add your location to your profile you might just find someone local that’s willing to help you find some SRPs.

Slingin'Lead
08-22-2020, 03:50 AM
Just my .02 here but I use srp's in several pistol loads-not just for the heck of it but because of the EXTREME shortage of spp's in my area. I lucked out and was able to buy 5,000 srp's. I treated them as if I was working up brand new loads. Started low and GRADUALLY worked up watching closely for any sign of high pressure. I've gotten along fine but then, I don't load too hot as a general rule anyway. Hope this helps.

Elkins45
08-23-2020, 10:22 AM
I’ve been told by people I trust that using rifle primers in pistol rounds is OK as long as (1) you adjust your load to account for the greater amount of priming compound and (2) your gun has sufficient ignition force to dent the heavier cups. So it might be iffy for something striker fired but probably not an issue for something with a long heavy hammer fall like a Blackhawk.

I’m interested in knowing if it’s possible to use pistol primers in low pressure rifle rounds, specifically for subsonic 300 Blackout in an AR. I’m in no hurry to try this experiment and unless I run out of SRP I probably never will.

blackthorn
08-23-2020, 01:21 PM
I would only be concerned with using rifle primers in pistol ammunition if I were using maximum loads. As far as using pistol primers in rifles, my concern would be more about whether my rifles firing pin would pierce the softer pistol primer cup. The more robust rifle mechanism or a pin with a worn/damaged tip would be my main concern.