PDA

View Full Version : Been Saving Your Money?

Bass Ackward
12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Get ready to load the boat.

My guess is that this should work through to our prices about next summer as the recycling efforts become a money losing proposition and disappear. Then these guys will be back to worrying about how they are going to dispose of lead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/mining/3543370/Metal-prices-fall-further-than-during-Great-Depression.html

StrawHat
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Prices are down a bit here already. Not low enough for me to add to my stockpile but they are coming down.

mtgrs737
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Last time I checked scrap wheel weights were down to .17 cents per pound which was down from .28 cents a pound. I have noticed that my WW sources are getting more and more zinc and steel weights in the buckets with every trip. It might be time to figure a lifetime use quanity and set a goal to accumulate it. :drinks:

PDshooter
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Still have 1 1/2 5gal, bucket of W/W . But I'[ll take W/W when I can get my hands on it.

No such thing as to much AMMO or lead!:castmine:

Gunslinger
12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Still have 1 1/2 5gal, bucket of W/W . But I'[ll take W/W when I can get my hands on it.

You are SOOOO right :)

I fear the day when 90% of all WWs are zinc! Luckily I have accumulated quite an amount of WW... I hope it's gonna last me a long time!

copdills
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
No such thing as to much AMMO or lead! by Wiking Amen Brother

jack19512
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Then these guys will be back to worrying about how they are going to dispose of lead.

It would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen. I think the people getting all of my lead know that they can just get the lead cheaper than they are getting it now and hold onto it until it goes back up again, which will happen.

leftiye
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
The thang ta do is to hoard linotype, and other "enrichment metals" like babbit (as well as wheelweights). I expect pure lead will be available for a while yet (ya think?).

badgeredd
12-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I am getting more iron weights and the last batch I picked up had some stick-on ZN weights! Found a few stick-ons that were irin too. I'll keep accumilating 'til I can get any more or I have what I figure to be enough to last me for the rest of my life.

I sure pity my heirs when I croak!!!!![smilie=1:

Edd

kooz
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes the price of lead has gone way down, but WW's are still just as hard to get your hands on. I heard recently that the major tire chains are swiching to non-lead WW's by 2009 or 2010 and that the major auto manufacturers have already started to use non-lead WW's. Whether this is true or not, one thing is certain and that is that the tire stores are starting to refuse to sell WW's to the public for fear of the EPA nailing them for not being able to account for a hazardous substance, so they will in many cases now only sell them to a "certified" recycle center, which is usually there battery supplier or the place they buy new WW's from. I used to get them from just about anywhere around here, but now only a few privately owned places will sell them to me.

jleneave
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Amen!! I try to get every bit of WW/Lead that I can lay my hands on. I figure that if I don't shoot it up in my life time my kids or one day grand kids can shoot it up. Or worse case senerio I could always sell it.

Jody

largecaliberman
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
leftiye is right, hoard as much linotype as you can.