PDA

View Full Version : Picture of a Lyman Mould Master XX

Luv2reload
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and have just begun to cast. I was given an old Lyman Mould Master XX and the pour handle is missing - the one that would go from the pivot through the slot at the top of the needle and out to the right to charge the bullet mould.

I hope that made a little sense!

What I need is a picture of a Lyman Mould Master XX. Does anyone have a shot of this or what the original handle looked like. I might be able to make a new one if I can see what it looked like.

Thanks in advance!

L2R

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Welcome to the forum. Here it is. The large squares on the grid paper are 1/2". The handle stock is .125" X .375" (1/8" X 3/8") The hole in the end is a #28 drill for the 6-32 screw it pivots on. The second hole is not used, on either of my Mold Master XX's, it's for pots that hold the handle to the metering valve with a screw, like the Mold Master 10. (Maybe some XX''s did).The handle has a piece of music wire for the handle to bounce on, when you release it, it measures .0355" dia. I don't think it's necessary.
Paul
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/MM1.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/MM2.jpg

Luv2reload
12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Morgan,

Thanks for the welcome AND the time and effort involved in answering my question - that's excellent!

I can make exactly what you've shown!

Gotta love this forum...

Thanks again!

L2R

Luv2reload
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I should also note that my pivot has a second hole - it sits below the 6-32 and the "adjustment" screw has a taper on it. I'm guessing that allows for pour rate?

Also, my needle bar has a slot cut through it on top that matches the pivot. I suspect that the second hole, in my case, suspends the needle above the sprue in a centered location.

If you have time could you give me the center to center dimension of the two holes? I'm guessing I have to hit the center of the sprue to close it off when the handle is dropped. I hope that doesn't have to be exactly perpendicular to work smoothly...

Thanks again!

L2R

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
You're welcome. You'll find that most of the guys on this forum will go out of their way to be helpful. That's what makes it such a valuable information source for shooters and reloaders.

The second hole is also a #28, and the holes are 1.850" center to center. Should also take a 6-32 screw. This is the way my old 10lb. Mould Master is set up, but both my 20lb. pots have metering rods that go through a hole in the bracket, to keep them aligned, and have slots closed at the top, that the handle just slides through. Yours must be an earlier model.

Morgan

Luv2reload
12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Morgan,

Again, thanks! Your info is much appreciated.

Now, off I go to find some stock and see if this old unit still melts lead!

L2R