PDA

View Full Version : Lead Source?

Tonto
12-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Was looking at a government surplus page and found a couple of things of interest, albeit a bit big for most folks I know...since this list is full of creative folks, maybe someone has a creative way to latch onto some of these goodies and share the wealth.....link is for surplus lead ballast, if you feel adventuresome, look for the scrap fired brass in there somewhere...amazing.....

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=750643

waksupi
12-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Tonto, welcome aboard. I think we all get a kick out of looking at that site, and trying to figure out how we can put any of the auctions to use. Dat's lotsa lead and brass those folks sell back to us. But there is a problem with handling and storage!

The Nyack Kid
12-24-2005, 01:16 AM
i keep meaning to follow a lead aucition to the end just to see what it sells for . im betting that it would cost way more to ship the lead to were you want it, than what you would pay for the lead itself. if a person could move the lead his self then that would be the way to go . then he would need a small foundry to make ingots that would be easier to handle than the 60lb blocks that it in . it would probably need to be alloyed to make it better for casting boolits .
I would love to have someone drop off that much lead in my front yard (Hear that Santa i've been good this year)

felix
12-24-2005, 01:27 AM
You want to purchase or rent our MOAS? It will take 15 beers to make you feel like you have enough courage and energy to tackle that thing and its proceeds. AFTER you get the thing up to temp with all that lead Santa is going to drop into your front yard, you just might have a chance to finish the job before you sober up. ... felix

9.3X62AL
12-24-2005, 04:14 AM
112,000 pounds would keep three 45-70 shooters supplied for a few years, I would think. If it's unalloyed, it could be a 10 year supply of Minie ball material for Buckshot and I.

OK, 8.5 years.

kenjuudo
12-24-2005, 05:08 AM
I once melted down seven tons of lead, sheeting, pipe and oddball chunks, be careful what you wish for it ate up most of our free time for a winter.

jim

cbrick
12-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I picked two 500 lb batches of wheel weights about a year and a half apart. I currently have about 800 lbs and feel like a rich man but 112,000 pounds, hhmmm.

Rick

Pawpaw
12-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I got hold of something like that once. My son was working in a shipyard and brought home a block of lead, about the same size as 2X4 lumber, 3 feet long. It weighed about sixty pounds. I normally melt raw lead in the back yard on a propane burner and an old iron pot, but this thing wouldn't fit into the pot.

Tried to hacksaw it, but the lead balled around the blade and seized it. Tried to melt it with a propane torch, but couldn't maintain the heat in one spot long enough. Finally wound up hacking it apart with an axe to get it into the pot to make ingots. I still have about thirty pounds of that lead in ingots in my garage.

Yeah, if you had 55 tons of that stuff, you'd need a foundry.

D.Mack
12-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I know those ballist bricks well, I keep 4 of them under the back seat of my old cj-5 to keep the rear end stable on slick roads. D.M.