PDA

View Full Version : Peep sights

Castinoff
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
My eyes ain't what they used to be and peep sights have always worked pretty good for me, so I've decided to install them on my CVA Hawken 50 cal. percussion (octagon barrel). I'm thinking maybe Williams but finding the exact part isn't easy. Any ideas? Preferred vendor?

StrawHat
12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I shop at the Log Cabin in Lodi Ohio. They have been helping me for 40 years and have taught me a lot.

http://www.logcabinonline.com/

Go to the online store, then to custom components, than sights.

Rear sights start on page 6 and about page 10 they have some peep sights. #50100 is on a couple of my rifles.

northmn
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Depending on the sight you may have to get a front sight to match. Know your problems, I used to shoot open sights qand had a dickens of a time this deer season when I decided to pick up my flintlocks. You would not think that a few years would make the sights that blurry. I have a50 percussion that I made taht I installed a peep sight on when I was broke. I bought a thumb screw and threaded it into the tang and tighened it with a lock nut and drilled it out for a peep sight. Don't really recommend it, it looks kind of unique or ridiculous depending upon reference, but I could use the same front sight and I got a deer with it. Still use it as I am too cheap to change. A Williams made for an octagon barrel might be better.

Northmn

krag35
12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I have "Peeps" on both of my Ml's. T/C makes one that taps into the rear tang. Lots of adjustment and pretty rugged. bought mine from Cabella's $55.00 IIRC.

mikenbarb
12-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Try looking at Midway. They got lots and lots of them and I believe the 5D sight is around 40 bucks.

rhead
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Lyman makes one for the TC Hawkin. I think it is the mod 57. It fits on the tang-breech plug. It does fine with the factory front sight. IIRC the CVA Hawkin wil use most TC hawkin accesories. I am not sure about this sight The Lyman catolog should say.
Good Luck.

Scrounger
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Try looking at Midway. They got lots and lots of them and I believe the 5D sight is around 40 bucks.

Ain't that something? The 5D referred to its retail price when it first came out, $5.

thumper50
12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
them ole 5Ds were, are about the best peep ever. Dad shot a big doe, 117 long paces downa railroad rt of way w/Win M12 16g. I asked , where did you hold? he said, right where I wanted it to go!! Tight behind the shoulder! 1 jump, there in a pile!! Guess who had to gut and drag?

mikenbarb
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I still have an original NIB 5D sight in its box and yep, Its marked 5 dollars on the side and top.LOL. I wish they still were that much.

mikenbarb
12-05-2008, 12:27 AM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/004-5.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/005-1.jpg
Now thats cool old book stuff!

Castinoff
12-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks to all that responded. Great help (as usual)!

May this season bring you and your family happiness and prosperity as we celebrate our Savior's birth.

PatMarlin
12-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Ditto on the TC peep. I really like mine.

RBak
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I have had an original T/C Vernier sight for years now. I have an old "kit gun" that I built back in the early 70's which now has a new GM round ball barrel.
I have the fixed iron sights zeroed at 70 yds. and the tang sight zeroed for 150 yds...works pretty good if my range estimation is close.

Most Vernier sights that I have used have a hard time "locking" in the raised or lowered position. Not locking properly in the raised position can cause you more than your share of heartaches. Trust me on this one!

Still yet, like most folks, I have a hard time distinguishing distances between these two POI's.....consequently, I spend considerable time killing a lot of different size rocks, just for practice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/RussB256/sightup.jpg

Russ...

idahoron
12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Russ looks good! Sharp looking rifle. I have Lyman 57 SML peeps on all my TC's. I do like the looks of the Vernier sight. It would look great on my Renegade with the 32" .458 1-18 twist barrel.
Ron