PDA

View Full Version : Shot another chronograph

Maineboy
08-03-2020, 06:08 PM
A few years ago I shot a chronograph with a direct hit from my 35 Whelen. This time, same rifle, a gas check came off a 358 627 boolit and struck the screen on my new unit. This one died after only 3 trips to the range. This is getting expensive.265670

mr surveyor
08-03-2020, 06:15 PM
you have my sympathy :)

jd

metricmonkeywrench
08-03-2020, 06:17 PM
With your luck you may want to spring for the Debris Sheild they make...:-o

slim1836
08-03-2020, 06:26 PM
With your luck you may want to spring for the Debris Sheild they make...:-o

Or a Labradar. I feel your pain.

Slim

Winger Ed.
08-03-2020, 06:38 PM
I hate it when that happens.
I'd go ahead and tag it a few more times to be sure its dead.
I've heard they drag off their wounded.:bigsmyl2:

megasupermagnum
08-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Yes, they make a polycarbonate shield that will stop all gas checks or other debris. I made my own out of some 3/8" plexiglass I had. It stays on the unit by the skyscreen rods. Mine got hit with a shotgun wad, and it knocked the unit down, but was otherwise ok.

44Blam
08-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Wow. A gas check? Would not have thought that could happen.

I shot one of my screens with a 44 magnum once - it was pretty dramatic.

Dapaki
08-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Do you have a cable or blutooth? I put an AR 500 steel plate, 1-1/2" thick in front of my chrony and use a Kindle Fire to read/collect the data off of it. Cheap insurance....

kayala
08-03-2020, 07:33 PM
I've switched to LabRadar after bagging two :D

Conditor22
08-03-2020, 07:47 PM
really sorry --- that unit does work with bluetooth

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-dlx/

https://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/cart.php?keep_https=yes $124.96 free standard shipping

gpidaho
08-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Just about everyone that uses a chronograph shoots it sooner than later. I've clipped the sky screen supports of my C.E.D so many times that I gave up and bought a LabRadar. I should use it more for the money I paid. Gp

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-03-2020, 08:14 PM
I only have one hanging on my wall between deer antlers. A horse fly bit me on the neck just as I was about to squeeze off a 10mm round. A one shot kill.

onelight
08-03-2020, 08:21 PM
If you guys would learn to shoot you wouldn't need the big guns :lol: I bagged mine with a 11/2" NAA mini 22 mag. It's all about shot placement .
Another LabRadar owner here , if I shoot it I have some real problems.

Tripplebeards
08-03-2020, 08:37 PM
I’d like to upgrade to the magnito speed that attaches to the barrel. You’ll never shoot one of those. I’ve hit the rods on my Beta a few times. My favorite was drilling my motion decoy and a coyote running full throttle over it at the same time with lead BB. The decoy still worked but the coyote was out of commission. I passed one up on the very next spot that was sniffing my fox pro. That would have been a $600 BooBoo and I already learned my lesson on the $25 motion decoy.

Dapaki
08-03-2020, 09:04 PM
(plate in front, no hitty-the-chrony)

tmanbuckhunter
08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
I did this once about 10 years ago, and went without a chrono up until late 2018. So far that one has survived. A gas check huh? Not surprised.

wv109323
08-03-2020, 09:40 PM
How do you field dress a chronograph? Am I correct that chronographs have open season as it seems they are killed year round?

Pete44mag
08-03-2020, 10:00 PM
I'm on my third one in five years! The first one my shooting buddy shot. The second one another buddy backed over with his truck. Now I only use it when I'm alone.

Ozark mike
08-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Waste of good plastic shame ya cant eat it

TrueNorth
08-03-2020, 10:13 PM
When I was looking for one I had read buy once, cry once. After some initial hesitation I ordered the lab radar.

mattw
08-03-2020, 10:25 PM
The replace them for about half price... call them.

Scrounge
08-03-2020, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Maineboy;4954839]A few years ago I shot a chronograph with a direct hit from my 35 Whelen. This time, same rifle, a gas check came off a 358 627 boolit and struck the screen on my new unit. This one died after only 3 trips to the range. This is getting expensive.

You need to start buying bullet proof vests for your equipment. See if you can find a piece of 3/4" Lexan for the next one. It might help. ;)

I see I'm going to have to take my own advice, too. Though I got mine for the cost of a can of spray contact cleaner. Caldwell says when the switch dies for real, they'll replace it for $60. Being a cheap bastrich, I'm hoping it will outlast me. No bets though.

Mal Paso
08-03-2020, 10:36 PM
When I was looking for one I had read buy once, cry once. After some initial hesitation I ordered the lab radar.

Welcome to the forum!

rockrat
08-03-2020, 10:49 PM
LOL. Welcome to the club!!!:). A gas check got my second one also. Knock on wood, the third one has worked well the last few years, but I have a spare just in case!!

Martin Luber
08-03-2020, 10:54 PM
You can calculate BC by measuring the velocity at the target after establishing velocity at muzzle.

I run a Pact model 1 without screens but a long time ago (30 years) flinched with a pistol and shot the cable. No step for a stepper.

Tripplebeards
08-04-2020, 10:27 AM
It’s nice to know I’m not the only one that loses gas checks. It always Riles me up when I’m looking for those nice perfect little mushrooms buried in my backstops and the gas check is missing.

Larry Gibson
08-04-2020, 11:24 AM
GCs can severely damage screens and chronographs as you've found out. My Oehler screens were damaged quite badly by GCs as I was testing HV cast bullet loads. I posted about this several times. Fortunately Oehler skyscreens have little electronics to be damage in them. Oehler also sells rebuild kits which are inexpensive. I also have "splinted" with tongue depressors, popsicle sticks and quick dry JB Weld the diffusers numerous times. Though pretty "shot up" the screens are still functioning perfectly.

Rizzo
08-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Do you have a cable or blutooth? I put an AR 500 steel plate, 1-1/2" thick in front of my chrony and use a Kindle Fire to read/collect the data off of it. Cheap insurance....

I've also shot my ProChrono and had to replace it.
I like this idea of a AR500 steel plate mounted in front of it, for insurance.

Thanks for the tip.
But, now that I think about it, there could be a safety issue when it gets hit and the bullet ricochets back at you.

Conditor22
08-04-2020, 12:26 PM
When I line up my chrony, I dial the scope down to the lowest resolution and have the top sun shade about 1/4 of the way down the top of the scope picture.

I only shoot through my chrony off a rest. I'm well aware how far off a "pulled shot/flier" can be.

dragon813gt
08-04-2020, 12:28 PM
This is what I purchased a LabRadar when they first came out. May be expensive up front. But the “cheap” chronos become expensive when you have to keep replacing them. You can’t shoot something that’s behind the muzzle, ricochets aside.

fredj338
08-04-2020, 12:34 PM
One reason I like my Oehler, its just a $15 screen if I shoot it, which I never have. For the cost though, I would get a Labradar.

pertnear
08-04-2020, 01:02 PM
As I read through this thread, a tear came to my eye & a sniffle to my nose. I think maybe we need to form a support group. :cry::violin:

dondiego
08-04-2020, 01:05 PM
I have never shot one..............I should probably buy one some day.

Scrounge
08-04-2020, 01:11 PM
I have never shot one..............I should probably buy one some day.

Collect enough of the ones that got shot, you can probably build a new one. ;)

Winger Ed.
08-04-2020, 01:47 PM
One reason I like my Oehler, its just a $15 screen if I shoot it,

Yeah, and I've learned they're quick as a cat when it comes to shipping them too:bigsmyl2:

onelight
08-04-2020, 02:25 PM
You guys that shed gas checks were they the Hornady style ?

Winger Ed.
08-04-2020, 02:32 PM
You guys that shed gas checks were they the Hornady style ?

That's all I use, and they're still on all the .357, .30, and .459 boolits I've ever found in the dirt.

onelight
08-04-2020, 02:42 PM
That's all I use, and they're still on all the .357, .30, and .459 boolits I've ever found in the dirt.
They are what I use to in 44 , 357 and 47-70 I don't use many but buy the Hornady hoping they will stay with the bullet.
Thanks for the response .

Gar10
08-04-2020, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine skipped a 38 special off the top of my Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital and some how the shock from it wound up breaking the on/off switch and cracked the lower housing. I called customer service at Competition Electronics and explained to them what happened. I was told to ship it back to them so they could take a look at it. A couple weeks later they sent it back to me with a new on/off switch installed and the lower housing had been replaced. All this was done at no charge. I did pay for shipping back to them, but they paid shipping back to me. It still bares the skid mark on the top of the housing to remind me about what happened.

Probably worth a call to the customer service department, you might be surprised what they will do. Its worth a shot!

KYCaster
08-04-2020, 07:41 PM
How do you field dress a chronograph? Am I correct that chronographs have open season as it seems they are killed year round?

No season... and no bag limit either!! :Fire:

Jerry

beechbum444
08-05-2020, 01:26 AM
" the taxidsrmist, gonna have a heart attack when he see what [you] bring him ". Jaws .......I couldn't resist

charlie b
08-05-2020, 07:40 AM
I was also one of the lucky ones. My daughter shot my first one, but, I had mounted an inch thick Lexan plate in front of it just a few weeks before. Saved the chrono. I wish I could justify the cost of the labradar.

brass410
08-05-2020, 09:33 AM
I have some questions about shooting chronographs 1 is there a season for them?
2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it?
3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt?
4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed?
5 have I had enough to drink already today?

Tripplebeards
08-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Here’s a video on the magnito. It sure would save the drama of settings my beta on a camera stand every time.

https://youtu.be/diA8_zDgvNM

Maybe when i kill mine I’ll have to try one of these. I think the only way to shoot them is laying it on the ground and aiming at it.lol

ioon44
08-05-2020, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=brass410;4955828]I have some questions about shooting chronographs

1 is there a season for them? No, just open season.

2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it? I think they are domesticated, you have to bring your own.

3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt? Just bragging rights.

4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed? not invasive if you kill them regularly.

5 have I had enough to drink already today? 3 cups of coffee and I am just getting started.

I really like my Labradar.

wmitty
08-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Oehler M 33 sets on the bench with wires running out to the two sky screen transducers. You can crank the camera tripod down to where the screens are below the table top and pretty hard to hit. I started with Oehler m 12; so the M 33 seemed like a Great Leap Forward!

gwpercle
08-05-2020, 02:04 PM
I'm sure your local Taxidermist has mounted a few "trophy" chrono kills ...
Wives love to give them to husbands as Christmas Gifts ... they think it's so darned funny ...
Gary

siamese4570
08-05-2020, 02:10 PM
I have one "Boone & Crockett " crony on my wall
Siamese4570

mattw
08-05-2020, 03:00 PM
My daughter shot her first one late this winter. She was horrified that it went down without a squeal and did not do the curly shuffle. I think she was equally horrified when she looked over and I was laughing! She scored a beautiful heart / lung through and through on my Pro Chrono Digital, replaced it with a DLX. I really do like their machines. I do not like the idea of hanging things off the front of my guns, plus many of the compact and sub-compact pistols would be a pain.

Scrounge
08-05-2020, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=brass410;4955828]I have some questions about shooting chronographs

1 is there a season for them? No, just open season.

2 do they free range or can you just pick one out when your at the range and harvest it? I think they are domesticated, you have to bring your own.

3 are they good to eat or are they more of a trophy hunt? Just bragging rights.

4 are they an invasive species could they be game farmed? not invasive if you kill them regularly.

5 have I had enough to drink already today? 3 cups of coffee and I am just getting started.

I really like my Labradar.

I think you have too much blood in your caffeine system, but I'd suggest switching to Russian Caravan Tea. More caffeine per cup, so you can get really wired faster. ;)

Harter66
08-05-2020, 04:42 PM
I got my first Chrony with an unburned powder kernel . I built a shield for the replacement . Then I bought the Gamma which has a better case and remote readout head .

2 kinds chronograph owners , the ones that have shot the Chronograph and the ones that will .

Boolseye
08-05-2020, 05:02 PM
Never use a scope over a chrony. I shot my last chrony three times, the last one killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onelight
08-05-2020, 05:05 PM
My daughter shot her first one late this winter. She was horrified that it went down without a squeal and did not do the curly shuffle. I think she was equally horrified when she looked over and I was laughing! She scored a beautiful heart / lung through and through on my Pro Chrono Digital, replaced it with a DLX. I really do like their machines. I do not like the idea of hanging things off the front of my guns, plus many of the compact and sub-compact pistols would be a pain.
Great story !

Maineboy
08-06-2020, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the sympathy and laughs too! I was pretty upset when I killed my chronograph but my period of mourning is past and I can now move on. I plan on returning the unit to Competition Electronics for them to repair as they say they will do it for half or less of the current retail price. The load I was testing used boolits cast and lubed over 15 years ago. I checked a few of the remaining ones the other day and all the gas checks are firmly attached and can't be twisted on or easily pried off the base. I've had sized and checked boolits where you could do this but this boolit doesn't appear to be one of those. However, I did notice that this boolit is a bit under sized. They were sized and checked in a .358 Lee push through sizer but mic .357 except for the check on the base which is just a bit over .358. I wonder if that slight difference in size would account for the check separating from the boolit. You can bet my next session with the repaired or replaced unit will include a debris shield.

white eagle
08-06-2020, 10:08 AM
A few years ago I shot a chronograph with a direct hit from my 35 Whelen. This time, same rifle, a gas check came off a 358 627 boolit and struck the screen on my new unit. This one died after only 3 trips to the range. This is getting expensive.265670

sounds like you need to work on your aim

Larry Gibson
08-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Oehler M 33 sets on the bench with wires running out to the two sky screen transducers. You can crank the camera tripod down to where the screens are below the table top and pretty hard to hit. I started with Oehler m 12; so the M 33 seemed like a Great Leap Forward!

I started out with an Oehler back in the 70s. Mounted the Sky Screens on on conduit and then on a board with 5' spacing. Soon put steel "defectors" in front of each screen. Then driiled 2 holes for pencils as guides to shoot between. Worked great until I crowded the rear screen.....but the deflector earned it's keep! I switched from pencils to dowels as they did get nicked or shot in two, especially with handguns. I also put a wrap of electrician tape 6" up on them and the never aimed with sights or reticle below them. That system was quick and easy to set up.

I had one bench at the range I used back then and made a set of legs for the Sky Screen board that was the right height for that bench. Got a pair of the clamps you put 2x4s in for sawhorse legs [made sort of big clothes pins] with a piece of 2x4 bolted to the bottom of the board the legs easily clamped on and off. Certainly not as convenient as todays chronographs but it was high speed low drag in the '70s.....:-D

Even on todays screens I always recommend not to get one with electronics out front but if you do; put tape on the diffuser legs 6" up from the screens and never aim with the reticle or sights below the tape markers. Also never shot offhand or free hand, always use a solid rest.

Wm Cook
08-06-2020, 02:10 PM
Little low and left but it was a solid MOA chronogrqph! Seriously, sorry for your loss. Been there done that. Bill.

1hole
08-06-2020, 03:31 PM
My 25 year old PACT Pro is still like new but, while I'll test anything for anyone, I let virtually no one else shoot over it.

I have two 3" x 10" strips of cardboard I set edgewise over my screens to block the sight line during setup. Then, if I can't see the target I know to lower the screen's tripod; if I can see the target I know I'm safely clear of the screens. So far, so good!

That new fangled magnetic speed device is no doubt the safest but it's not much good for handguns and it's absolutely lousy for arrows. I really like tool flexibility so, in my own method of load development, I like to test for accuracy while testing for speed but muzzle attachments make that unrealistic. I demand excellent accuracy at no less than factory speeds. I mean, if I have paid for a .30-06 rifle I demand it shoot like a .30-06, not down loaded to some .30-30 level for best accuracy.