PDA

View Full Version : Brass Catcher for AR15

crabo
12-02-2008, 05:20 AM
I would like a soft brass catcher that clips on my 9mm AR. I made one out of hard plastic, but it is a PITA to take on and off. I want something that will clip on and off easily, so I can show clear and check for loaded rounds. It is a flat top with a red dot.

Anyone have any suggestions for what they know will work?

Thanks,

Shiloh
12-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Check this one out That I stumbled onto a while back looking for something else. I had a brass catcher years ago for a for a Mini-14. Sounds like it was similar to yours. I sold it with the rifle years ago.

To me, they as as big an inconvenience as picking up brass. My high power practice and shooting at least keeps them in a somewhat manicured area of the range.

Stock # 084-000-262 at Brownells

Shiloh

beagle
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
The best brass catcher available is about four privates and a good hard assed sergeant.

It worked for me for years./beagle

leadeye
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I had the same issues with an AR brass catcher so now I just try and shoot where it is easier to pick them up.That does not work with an HK 91, I think the brass goes into orbit.

Shiloh
12-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I had the same issues with an AR brass catcher so now I just try and shoot where it is easier to pick them up.That does not work with an HK 91, I think the brass goes into orbit.

Yeah.

And the zebra stripes give it camoflage in the short grass when it does come down.

Shiloh

adam38654
12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
You can get one of these for 10-15 bucks and one of the hard plastic shell ones from bushmaster for about double that.
http://accurateshooter.net/Products/brasscatcherx250.jpg

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
had one myself and it was a hell of a good gun but between brass flying to the next county and when you did find it it was in sad shape i just got rid of it.

osage
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
crabo,
During force on force drills at work we use the hard plastic type that snap on the upper below the carry handle, but we don't have any flat tops. I don't know if that would work for you. Plus you need to remove it to verify cleared weapon. As for the soft bag type I did not like them. It would bend easily during tactical movements then cause ejection problems.
For static line shooting maybe you can rig up a small frame to support netting to drop spent brass on the bench top or next to the bench. That has worked for me with garands and M14s.
I think that the soft bag type would be fine for range work.

RU shooter
12-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I dont know if your shooting from a static position or on the move , but if the 9mm ejects/functions the same as the 223 grind or cut 1-- 1.5 coils off your ejector spring with this mod. done on a 223 rifle it will dump the brass in a neat little pile about 2-3 ft at your 1:00 position ,arms reach if your prone.

Tim

GabbyM
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I use a clamp on deflector with my flat top. Says TC-Accessories on it. Probably bought it from Brownells?

Works on my smooth sided heavy receiver. No port cover or built in deflector protrusion. It will fit between my scope rings but for a carry handle they sell another style which I don't have.

A piece of old shot bag secured with a couple zip ties to hang a flap over the port works to deflect cases into a pile. Use the carry handle for tie points. Not very posh though.

I've seen a friend try one of the cloth bag catchers. He'd get about three cases in it they have a stove pipe jam from the cases stacking up. He tried unzipping the bottom of the bag to let them run through and that didn't work either. After witnessing that I've never tried a bag.

adam38654
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
eat your heart out, available for Fixed, Flat-Tops,and A3 Removable

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=9

http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/Parts_Accessories/Magazines_Accessories/EL-AR-001.gif

OeldeWolf
12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Midway has a brass catcher on sale in this month's flyer.

medicstimpy
12-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Those bag ones work ok. The 9mm won't be too much trouble. The .223 one will jam your AR a lot. I have buckets of 9mm brass now, so I don't bother trying to save it with the brass catcher.

crabo
12-16-2008, 10:04 PM
If I had buckets, I wouldn't bother trying to save it either.