PDA

View Full Version : 444/30-30 RB Test Results

1Shirt
12-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Two days befor Christmas and would ya believe it is 50 degrees in Omaha. Took advantage of the temp and got to the range.

Had 5ea. 444 3 ball loads that consisted of 3ea. .440 RB cast of dental x-ray lead sized to 430, rolled in Lee liq. alox. over 30 gr. of H-335. Balls weighed 130 gr.each, so was puttin 390 gr. down range. Recoil offhand was no more than I would expect of a 310 lee load pushing the 1600 fps mark. Results at 25 yds were quite satisfactory: 15 roundball holes inside a 10" group. Group was 10"x7", (10 accross, 7 down). I tried loading with a hard wad over powder and wonder wad between the balls. No dice---crushed a case trying. Then went to just the wonder wads, no over powder wad, no dice on this either. Finally went to the three balls one on top of each other directly over the powder and crimped with Lee factory crimp die. Very little powder residue and no leading in bbl. I was supprised. Rifle is one of the very early 444M, w/micro groove/4x Bush.

Now for the 30-30: Loaded 3ea. R-P Brass. Loaded two 310 RB rolled in Lee Liq. Lube over 33gr. of 4064 which came up to the base of the neck of the case. Shot all three at 25yds after I put three gas checked loads centered on about a 3' square. Have no idea where the two balls went other than down the bore.
Quite a bit of unburned powder, and wouldn't be supprised if some went out the front. Fair amount of leading, but not as much as I expected. Rifle is 80's vintage
94 with Rec. Sight.

CONCLUSION(S) 444 was more than satisfactory, and might have limited use in some circumstances. However, there are no circumstances at 25 yds that I can think of that a 12g. with 00 Buck would not do as well if not better.

30-30 double RB loads: Have now been there, done it, don't see any reason to try it again.
Merry Christmas
1Shirt :coffee:

trk
12-23-2005, 11:27 PM
It'll be 50 degrees here tomorrow (it takes a few days for it to travel over to Virginia).

I did much the same thing with .375 Win in a Win Big Bore when I lived in Iowa.
Stack of 2 or 3 did well, not as formal a test as what you did, and it was LONG before LIQUID Alox.