PDA

View Full Version : Round Balls in a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag

longbow
12-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I made up some plinker rounds for my Marlin ~ 0.440" round ball ACWW sized to 0.435" over 10 grs. of Unique and a little LLA wiped on them.

I have shot these RB's in the .44 before but unsized believe it or not (sloppy chamber!). I just set them into the case mouth and let the brass shear a little bit of lead off. Accuracy was okay but not great.

I decided I would size some to see how they would do.

Today, I'd say the sized ball shot as well as I could hold. Not much recoil at all needless to say. Kinda like a .22 on steroids.

Next time I will have to chronograph these to see what velocity I am getting. They certainly didn't drop much out to 50 yards and were plenty accurate.

A faster powder might be better but the Unique worked pretty well anyway. I'll have to see what sort of velocity they are capable of with decent accuracy.

If nothing else they are easy on powder and lead and the shoulder. Nothing like fun cheap shooting.

Longbow

biggome
12-01-2008, 11:56 PM
You gotta love seeing what happens with round balls in leverguns. I have sized .370' balls down to .358" and had good luck in my .357 Mag '92 Winch clone as well as .311" balls as cast in my '94 30/30.

They are a lot of fun and can prove to be really accurate as well as to be able to use leverguns over a much wider range than they would normally be used.

A 30/30 can be used for anything from mice to moose with the right slug as long as the range is kept into perspective be it 2 or 200 yards.

Do a "real test" with velocity and group results just for fun!

Paul

Bullshop
12-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Did you know you can put two balls in the magnum handgun cases like 44 or 357?
Thats right double up and go goose huntin cuz now you got a shot gun. Oops better cast um outa bismuth.
BIC/BS