PDA

View Full Version : 7mm bullet

12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
if you had any alloy you wanted to make a 7mm 145-170 gr bullet for sill shooting at 1500-1800 fps what would you use? would you water drop or air cool? if you were to make the same hardness for air cool, would dtat bee the same as water drop to come up with the same hardness? i know most water drop to make the bullet harder, but if you made it as hard but air cooled would it be the same? is one better than the other? i am going to do some 4-1 ww- linotype and water drop to start with. just wondered what you thought.

runfiverun
12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
your water dropped ww's with some tin will approximate either the commercial mix of 2/6 or the lyman 5/5 i use 4/6 these are tin/antimony mixes.
the rcbs 7mm silhouette boolit for me will pour large enough with the ww's tin mix.
i use the 4/6 mix if i need a bit bigger sized boolit. or when using it for small game hunting as it will break up readily on them or the rocks if i miss.
i initially started with the 4/6 mix and switched to the ww/tin mix as i compared them side by side.
for target type shooting. i was able to push them to the same velocities.
and really was only limited by the rifle [twist] and the amount of lube the boolit carries.

Calamity Jake
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
If you are not going over 1800/2000 use WW and don't bother with water drop.
But, water droped WW will be about 20/22 Bhn, air cooled Lino is about 22/24.