PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M-Die/vs.Lee taper

1Shirt
12-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Have used Lyman M-Dies for cals from 22 to 45 now for many years, but recently picked up one of the Lee tapered expanders. Got to admit that it is a pretty slick piece of engineering w/two expanders in one die, and the whole thing less than $10.00. Wish it had been around years ago I could have saved a bit on M dies, as this one does the whole magilla from 22 to 45. Am convinced that there will always be a better mousetrap on the market today that is a bit advanced from the mousetrap that was on the market the day befor. Merry Christmas to them what arn't politically correct, and even to those who are!
1Shirt

357tex
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I'am with you I like Lee's taper expander.It does lots for the money.But then most of Lees stuff does.I am not only cheap but I'm poor to boot. :violin:

Pawpaw
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
There is something to be said for both of them, but now that I have a Lee taper die, I dont' think I'll be buying any more Lyman M Dies.

chunkum
12-23-2005, 02:28 PM
After using the Lyman M dies for more years than I like to acknowledge, I bought my first set of Lee dies to use loading for my .45-70 BC. Well now, whadayaknow? The expander capabilities of the Lee set would not open the neck up enough to take even .457 cast bullets without shaving. I emailed and called Lee. Sent them pictures. They sent me another neck expander which was identical in dimensions to the first one. Then ..... one of their tech people suggested their Universal Neck Expanders which, of course was an extra purchase. I was a little perturbed at first that this extra die was necessary but it's turned out to be so darned useful that I've almost quite fussing about having to buy it. Problem with the Lyman M dies over the years is that often they don't quite get the neck open enough for the diameter cast bullet I'm wanting to use. With the Lee Universal, this is not a problem.
Best Regards,
chunkum

454PB
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I make my own "M" expanders on my lathe. I use a piece of 7/8" by 14 tpi rod with a hole drilled in the center and an allen head set screw, the various size "M" expanders can be changed as needed for each caliber. Recently during an order, I bought one of the Lee universal expanders. I agree, it's a great idea and works well. However, with my homemade expanders, I machine the smaller diameter so that it lightly expands the case neck. I've found this really alleviates any tendency to shave or distort the lead boolit during seating. This is determined by the expander within the full length die, some of them are smaller than others.

For straight walled cases, the Lee unit seems to work fine, for anything with a shoulder, my homemade expanders work better.