PDA

View Full Version : switching from 2 cav to 6 cav mold question

sdelam
11-30-2008, 08:47 AM
I have made several hundred 230g RN with a 2 cavity mold. It was slow going so I bought a 6 cavity mold to speed things up.

I cleaned the new mold, smoked the cavities and tried to cast. I could not get the mold to fill out. its the same alloy that works fine with my other mold.

I use a lyman 4lb pot and ladle. I've tried everyway I can think of but I cant seem to get all 6 cavities completly fill out. They seem to fill 1/2 to 3/4 and then the spruce plate plugs. I thought the spruce plate was not hot enough so I filled the cavites and turned it upside down on the pot. After a few minutes I tried again but got the same results.

What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Bret4207
11-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Mould isn't getting hot enough. Turn the heat on the alloy up, preheat the mould on a hotplate and cast as fast as you can.

A 4lb pot won't last very long at all. I use a pot that holds over 30 lbs and for my big 35x250 Bator I use a dutch oven and a 1 lb Rowell ladle. You might want to look for a bigger pot soon.

sdelam
11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
my pot doesnt have a temp adjustment, I will probably get a bigger pot within the next year or so, for now however i just run my smelting pot to refill the casting pot.

NuJudge
11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Heck, I run a 20 pound pot to cast from, and a 10 pounder as a melter to back it up. I'm slipping the occasional small ingot into the 20 pounder, and when the 20 pounder gets half empty I pour the 10 pound into the 20 pound furnace.

Can I suggest you also use some Tin to help with fill-out.

CDD

opentop
11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Start by filling only the first two cavities, then after a few cast, fill the first 4 cavitys, then move to all six cavities. that should help your mold warm up. Once you get your mold hot, its going to retain heat longer than your two cavity mold.

NSP64
11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I too tried to switch to a 6 cav mold and found my rejection rate too high. I was using a 10# pot and could not cast fast enough to keep it hot. So I stick to 1&2 cav molds. It's slower but they all come out great. I don't shoot that much so production rate is not that big of a deal.:drinks:

EDK
11-30-2008, 01:48 PM
my pot doesnt have a temp adjustment, I will probably get a bigger pot within the next year or so, for now however i just run my smelting pot to refill the casting pot.

I just bought a LEE Magnum Melter 20 pound pot for about $50 + tax. It melts in about half the time my LYMAN bottom pour pot does! I wish I'd gotten it a lot sooner. The LYMAN has been a PITA and needs the bottom pour stuff re-worked...and possibly some other repairs. I've never had very good luck with bottom pour pots, but use an aged Hensley & Gibbs ladle with 4 or 6 cavity moulds. I only use the LYMAN/RCBS dippers for single cavity moulds for boolits for my BIG 50.

You need to run a little hotter for big boolits or multi cavity moulds.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

mooman76
11-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I probubly wouldn't even bother until you get a bigger pot. By the time you get going good you will run out of hot lead and this will be frustrating. You could get a cheap cast iron pot until you get a bigger electric if you want to go that route or just get a cast iron and use it for the 6 cavity only!

MT Gianni
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
The rest have covered most of it. I would add that the mold needs to be cleaned really well. Boil it for a bit, scrub it with an old toothbrush and make sure all oils are out of the cavitys before you smoke it. Gianni

Will
12-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I had the same problem with a 4# pot. It just can't keep up with more than a 2 cavity mold.

sdelam
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks guys, i guess I'll go back to the 2 cav until I find a bigger pot.:-?

LqChrome
12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Im with RDK a Lee 4-20 bottom pour is the way to go for 6-cavity moulds,as is a wet cooling cloth for*speed casting*