PDA

View Full Version : Herters swaging dies

Kragman71
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Hello
I have some dies that were given to me,after they had been neglected for a long time,in the cellar of his home.
I have pictures that I will attempt to include in this post.
4 nose punches,38 cal-Dia .620
i nose punch,38 cal-fits in a standard 7/8 die with a bolt.
1 cup die,38 cal-fits into the tool base.
2 cup dies,45 cal-fits into tool base.
1 screw in cap-holds cup die into tool base.
1 shell holder,#45ACP.
The tool is the Herters Super Bulletmaker
I wish that someone,with an old Herters catalog,can tell me what dies that I lack.
Hopefully,someone will have these to sell.
Frank

Kragman71
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey;they came out.
Pic#1-3 unknown dies
#2 -45 cal cup died with 45 cal bullet
#3-38 & 45 cal cup dies with 38 cal cup & 45 cal bllet
#4-cup dies,shell holder#1 and cap for cup dies
#5-38 cal nose punch in standard 7/8 inch die
----2 45cal nose punches(views; top side bottom)
#6-5 38 cal nose punches-2 45 cal nose punches
#7-4 38 cal nose punches(views top side bottom)
Frank

Kragman71
11-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Hello,again
I seem to be all alone,here.
However,scanning old threads,here,I saw a post that mentioned a swaging tool,and I have one of those,but did'nt know what it was.
It is a Herters(probably) that takes the 3/8" dies that I have
I set it up,and used some 30 caliber cast rejects,placed in a copper cup,to make 38 caliber half jacketed,swaged bullets.
They look fine.
For now,I'll ignore the Super Bulletmaker,that uses 7/8" dies.
Frank

Pressman
11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Kragman, you are not alone, but I did just find the post. I will have to dig out the Herter's catalog and swaging presses. I have a couple of bullet makers and a 9 ton. It will take a day or so but I should have an answer for you.
conatact me be email as sorting through everything you have is going to take soem work.
herters@netins.net
Ken

Little Doc
11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
kragman,
your post caused me to look an old herters catalog i have it is dated 1977. listed on page44-45 is herters 9 tone bullet swaging press and the dies that go with it. the die is held in the ran by a retaining ring and the punch is held in the upper portion as a die would be held in a loading press. i have one of these presses that came to me in pretty rough shape. the dies look as if the owner did not know about lub for the dies. i have often thought of reviving it. but i have not so far.
just cause someone will wonder.
press was29.97
dies and punch 7.29 or 8.19 depending.
nose punches 3.79
jackets looks like 1/2 jackets-6.37 to 9.49 per 1000
i don't know if this answered your question or not. hope so.
good luck
little doc

Kragman71
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.
This Forum has shown me that I'm more ignorant then i supposed.
I received a tool,probably a Hertters,with no markings,when I got the dies.I never knew what it was.I wrote a discription he the American Rifleman magazine,ad no one there could identify it.I found out about it from this Forum.
I also have a C&H wire cutter,and used it to cut lead slugs from 30 caliber rifle bullets.
The lead is soft because the bullets were for paper patching.
The finished bullet has a little more lead exposed,then the copper cup,and weighs about 135 grains.
The bullets look pretty good.Is there a downside to using 30 caliber stock to swage at 35 caliber?
Frank

Pressman
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Here is what you have.

Starting from the left, top row: This is a Herter's Bullet Maker die set in the order it fits together. The nose punch is held in a 7/8"-14 die body, the die lock nut and the die with its combined base punch and knockout rod. This set is in my collection. Posted for educational purposes only.

Picture 2: On the left is a Herter's 9 Ton press nose punch and three Bullet Maker nose punches.

Picture 3: Two die bodies and knock out rods for the 9 Ton or Bullet Maker.

Picture 4: On the left, 9 Ton nose punch, three Bullet Maker nose punches, Bullet Maker die body with nose punch, two 9 ton nose punches.

Picture 5: three 9 Ton/Bullet Maker die bodies, die retaining nut, Herter's shellholder for Model 3M/9/27 presses.
Ken
herters@netins.net

Kragman71
12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Thank you,Pressman
None of these nose punch dies have bleeder holes.I cut slugs for half jacketed bullets weighing 135 grains.I noted that the underweight bullets were a wee bit shorter then the overweight ones.I suppose that this is to be expected.
Could you scan,or photograph the portion of the Herters catalog pertaining to this subject?
Frank

shooterg
12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
The 9-ton press die bodies had bleed holes. The catalog ain't so good at directions, but herterspecialst@aol.com has copies of most of Herter's directions that came with the goodies, very reasonable.

kawalekm
12-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Kragman
I notice the similarity between the Herter's die sets and those for the CH Swagomatic that I have. I have a .452 die body, but don't have a nose punch for it. It looks like you have two .45 nose punches in your photo #7 (the ones identified as "Bullet Maker nose punches"). Would you be interested in selling one of your .45 punches? Could you mike it and give me the external dimensions? The critical one would be the OD where the nose punch enters the top of the die body. Also, what is the bolt size and thread to attach the nose punch at the top.
Thanks for your time,
Michael

Pressman
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
The Herter's and C-H nose punch threads are the same. Herter's uses a 7/8-14 tpi die body while the C-H is 1"-18 tpi though the actual bolt that holds the nose punch is the same thread.
Ken

Kragman71
12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
The Herter's and C-H nose punch threads are the same. Herter's uses a 7/8-14 tpi die body while the C-H is 1"-18 tpi though the actual bolt that holds the nose punch is the same thread.
Ken
I have two swaging tools.
The Herters Super Bulletmaker;which takes standard 7/8 dies
An unmarked(probably Herters) tool,which takes 3/8 dies.
Both tools take the same cup dies with retainer cap.
No nose plug has a bleeder hole.
My 45 caliber nose punches are different;one is round nose and the other is large meplat.I realy need both.However I will consider a trade for something that I need even more.The I.D. is 0.456.
I have a C&H Swageomatic lead wire cutter,with a 45 caliber bushing.
I need a bushing for 38 caliber bullets.
I have bo cue cups in both 38 and 45 cals,with some 22 cups that I don't need,at all.I need lead wire,or lead slugs.
I have two 45 caliber cup dies,that appear to be identical,in specifications,although marked differently.Maybe from different manufacturers.
Frank

Pressman
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Here are the scans of the Herter's catalogs for both presses. If these do not work email me and I will send a PDF of the scans.

Ken
herters@netins.net

Kragman71
12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Pressman
Thanks for the illustrations.
The Super Bulletmaker is fine,but the Nine Ton will not accept magnification,and is difficult to read.I'll post any thing important that I cannot read.
Incidently,is there any ID markings on the Nine Ton Tool? It looks like mine,but mine has none,at all.
Frank

nicholst55
12-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I have one of the 9-Ton presses and it has no markings whatsoever. I have the dies and top punches for 9mm, .38, .44 and .45. Oh, and .30 for short, half-jacket bullets - probably would work for .30 Carbine and maybe .32 ACP, although the bullets would only be .308".

One of these days I'll get around to actually swaging some bullets with it!

Kragman71
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Nicholst55
I have a GI Carbine that likes 100 grain bullets.I am interested in your 30 cal dies.
You have a cup die and what nose punch/punches?Do you have any copper cups;30 cal?
I'm using my 9 ton tool,successfully,but I need lead wire.
I would be willing to sell/trade the Super Bulletmaker,with 38 cal dies.Also the 22 cal cupsand a 45 cal cup die.
Frank

nicholst55
12-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Kragman - I had a few boxes of .30 jackets but I sold them. I'm about 8,000 miles from home right now, where my stuff is in storage. I don't anticipate having any use for the .30 dies and top punches, so I'll probably sell them once I return to the States. I'll doubtless put them up for sale here, so keep your eyes open - in another year or so. :drinks:

Kragman71
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
nicholst55
You have much more important things on your mind,right now.
I wish you God Speed,and thank you.
Frank

Nobiskj
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I am looking for one if priced right. Thanks

Kragman71
12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I am looking for one if priced right. Thanks

Nobiski
I'm hoping to negotiate a trade with the Herters tool,and dies.
FYI:the nose punches are for the 38 cal bullet,but the cup die is for the 45 cal bullet.
I've yet to establish a fair price for it.
If you still want it,PM me an offer.
Frank

Lead pot
12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
If you look around you might find a swage die that Herters made(I had one) that swages a GG pistol bullet in .45.
It was a three fingered collet die.

Nobiskj
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Kregman71
The last message that I left was real messed up. You said that you were looking for a trade and I have several sealed boxes of 30-40 blanks made by REM-UMC. If you are interested let me know if not I will make a cash offer for the 9 ton.
Harold

Kragman71
12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Kregman71
The last message that I left was real messed up. You said that you were looking for a trade and I have several sealed boxes of 30-40 blanks made by REM-UMC. If you are interested let me know if not I will make a cash offer for the 9 ton.
Harold

Harold
Sorry,the 9 ton is installed on my bench and is not for sale.The Super Bulletmaker may be,with dies.
I have some Krag military ammo,including blanks.I would sell them.The only cartridges that I collect are 45/70 military.
Frank

Nobiskj
12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Frank
Thanks, I will keep looking.
Harold