PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a special mould

machinegun
11-28-2008, 08:31 PM
My son enjoys shooting Dakrats (Dakota prairie dogs) with a powerful .22 cal. air rifle. He has been shooting a 28 gr pellet @ 900 fps with great success out to 65-75 yds. Now he would like to mould his own pellets.
We are looking for a single or double cavity mould that will cast .22 cal. hollow base pellets anywhere from 28 to 40 grs.
I figured some of you guys would have an idea where I could contact the right folks. When I needed a mould for cannon balls I went online and found a fellow in the UK that custom made one out of brass for me.
I would appreciate any help you could give me.

DLCTEX
11-28-2008, 10:31 PM
This has come up here before and the concensus seems to be that air rifle pellets are swaged from pure lead, not cast. Someone had a link to a swage die.IIRC

S.R.Custom
11-29-2008, 12:06 AM
This has come up here before and the concensus seems to be that air rifle pellets are swaged from pure lead, not cast. Someone had a link to a swage die.IIRC

Swaged? How do you get them out of the die? (Seems to me I see a parting line from the mould on these samples.)

http://store.airgunforum.ca/images/pellet22s.jpg

NSP64
11-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Might be swgged into a mold. But, I did have a lyman mold for 20ga slugs that I cast. Looked just like the first one, only bigger.

S.R.Custom
11-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Now that you mention it, swaging it into a mould makes sense, given that we're dealing with pure lead and tiny projectiles. But I would suspect that such a rig wouldn't be something you could merely screw into the top of your RockChucker.

deltaenterprizes
11-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Look in the classifieds on Dave Corbins web site :http://www.corbins.com/used.htm

Thumbcocker
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Beeman used to advertise a mould for pellets that was made in the U. K. FWIW,

machinegun
11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
deltaenterprizes: went to the website you recommended. Thought it was a homerun. A fellow named Tom Basile calls himself the pellet man makes dies for swaging lead pellets. Posted his phone no.
I just spoke with him. He went out of business a year ago and they haven't removed his info from the site. He sold all his dies when he went out of business. He did make .22 cal like I wanted.

deltaenterprizes
11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Try this link :http://www.corbins.com/pellets.htm

machinegun
12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks a bunch deltaenterprizes. You are the go to guy on pellets.

C1PNR
12-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I am so PROUD of you guys!! No one even mentioned our ill fated excursion into this field with the "Pammy" and "Britany" models.:coffee:

ra_balke
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
The plain truth is, you can buy a heck of a lot of airgun pellets for the price of a custom 22 pellet mould.

But,, :-( if you are hell bent, first you need to figure the twist, then use the greenhill formula to get length, and go from there.

A 900 fps air gun will need a bullet with a nose on it, so I'd go with an LBT long nose flat point design. ( A wadcutter type flat point in an air gun will not shoot well supersonic..)

After that, you will need length to hold velosity, and to control the weight, you can go with a hollow base.

For a 22, weight should be between 14 and 20 grains.

Or,, you can go to pyramid air and look at their huge selection of airgun pellets.
You might consider a round ball, they do not hold velosity down range well, but a round ball in pure lead sure hits hard.

Another really good pellet is the Crosman round nose hollowpoint. It is highly rated, it holds velosity well, it is great for high velosity, it's accurate, and it's cheep !