PDA

View Full Version : Checking Vernier Sight for plum

Boz330
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
OK I'm a dumb a$$, I think Montana Charlie posted a simple way to do this and I tried a search and got no joy. Charlie if you can help here I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Bob

11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I think you're talking about this thread?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=39818

Boz330
11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Nope that isn't it. This was posted by MC a year or so back. In any case it's not an issue since I went ahead and used the old clamp the rifle in a vice and used a plum line to check the sights bottom to top of the travel. Turned out to be almost perfect, the first time that has happened to me. The other method was just simpler and for the life of me I can't remember how he did it.

Bob

montana_charlie
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Nope that isn't it. This was posted by MC a year or so back.
I (too) thought you were looking for that recent post, so I didn't pipe up when 405 posted the link. But, seeing you are after an 'old' post, I went looking.

This is probably the one you saw...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=92481
CM

Boz330
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Boy time flies when your having fun, it didn't seem like that was 2 1/2 years ago, but that was the post I was looking for. In my search I used Vernier sight instead of tang sight and I couldn't pull it up.
I put a new PU on my 75 Sharps 38-55 and it is hard to get time and weather to check things this time of year. The last silly wet match is 20 Dec and my regular gun is being worked on so this is my fall back in case it's not finished and probably won't be. Thats the problem when you have friends work on your stuff and you aren't paying.[smilie=1: In reality it probably costs more than if I was paying. When you start swapping favors the pay up point is always blurred. Don't get get me wrong, this is a long time friend (closer than most of my family) that does excellent work and could have the shirt off my back for the asking. For the harassment factor though, it is better to be owed than owing.

Bob

missionary5155
12-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Place your rifle in a padded vice.. gun holder.. or a slotted cardboard box. Put a regular level across the reciver 8If flat top) and level the rifle. Now see if the tang sight arm in the upright position is level also.
If your rifle does not have a flat top reciver there will be somewhere two oppisite machined edges you can use. Hammer channel.. rear of breachblock area...
If you have a flat top barrel you can use that as your base.... but if the barrel was installed some off center you have a complicated situation. If you are using a spirit level front sight that is the easiest.. level the rifle by that level and check the the rear sight in its up right position.
Then there is the line it up on the distant buiding using the square corners of the building as your reference points. I get more simplistick in my approaches to things the older I get.

powderburnerr
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
level the rifle and attach a thin string to the cieling hanging down ,centered in the tang sight aperature . then run the aperature up and down and see if the aperature follows the string.
...........Dean

Boz330
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
That's what I've always done but was looking for a little quicker way. I use a plum bob and that is what I ended up doing with this gun.

Bob