PDA

View Full Version : Mold Handles

Wapo
04-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Morning folks, the wind has been blowing here 30-40 mph for the last few days. Hard to do much outside when its like that,so........We have squared up a small lot of Ash,Hickory,Maple and Walnut 2X2. What we are going to do is make up some mold handles and mallets. Stock handles are too short,too thin and get hot fast....do they not? So if you NEED a set of handles, we'll see how it goes and get yall some. Go forth and pour!

Aint worth a poot without pics......first one off...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/wapo3030/spruemallet.jpg

I was not too happy with the first one off. After rethinking the project, we came up with "mod. 2". The new units are as follows: 7-1/2 inches long
1-1/2 inches in dia. walnut (stock on hand was 16 inches long so i get 2 per stick) Pops said,"waste not want not".....Centered on the head ends there is a small dimple. One could drill and pour some lead in for a heavier mallet. Reckon ya'll know anyone who pours lead? Well, here they are...ya'll tell me what ya'll think.

imashooter2
04-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Good looking mallet. Must be nice to have machine tools...

C1PNR
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Good looking mallet. Must be nice to have machine tools...
Yeah, and even nicer when you know how to use them. :wink:

I do almost OK with small hand tools (screwdriver, hammer, etc.), but when it comes to something with moving parts (like a socket set, or a screw gun) I confess to looking for help. :?

NVcurmudgeon
04-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Good looking handle! I've been making pot and ladle handles for years from old oak pallets. Somehow, they always get turned into briquettes. Think I'll try my hand at mould handles,though with only a rasp and sandpaper I don't expect to match the appearance of yours! Tightwad tip of the day-34 pallets + 1 Skilsaw = 1 cord of firewood. curmudgeon

azrednek
04-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Years ago I an old mallet I believe was from Herters. I'm speculating as to where it came from, there wasn't any markings on it. It came from a batch of reloading equipment I got at an estate sale and everything in the box was Herters.

The mallet had a flat side, not large but enough that when I set it on the bench it didn't go anywhere. The RCBS mallet I'm now using rolled all over my bench if I didn't set it down softly or set it against something. I belt sanded a flat spot on it and now it stays put. Doesn't need to be flattened very much, just enough that if it does roll it stops when it turns on the flat spot.

A rolling mallet is a pet-peeve of mine, nothing seems to screw with my rhythm more than a rolling mallot except maybe for the bugs that appear out of nowhere when I’m casting at night. Incidently if I catch the bugs they are used as flux!!

Buckshot
04-04-2005, 02:26 AM
................Very nice looking sprue knocker! Tre' chic!

...............Buckshot

45nut
04-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Myself,I use a hickory handle from a broken hammer. They are durable
as knockers and accumulate quickly at the lumberyard. :lol:

imashooter2
04-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Myself,I use a hickory handle from a broken hammer. They are durable
as knockers and accumulate quickly at the lumberyard. :lol:

So do I, but Wapo's turning is still nice. I'd love to have a few machine tools. So much a man could make/fix/improve...

Dutch4122
04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Wapo-

If yer sellin' the mallets I might order a couple. What's your price?

Wapo
04-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I have no idea how to post a pic now......so here is the url

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/wapo3030/knockers.jpg