PDA

View Full Version : Lee Wadcutter Test

Super Sneaky Steve
06-12-2020, 09:46 PM
I cast a lee wadcutter out of pure lead and loaded it in a magnum case using magnum data. Lee has some if you're interested. The powder was Bullseye.

This boolit did a lot more damage than I expected but it also expanded a lot less than expected.

The wound looked like it tumbled as soon as it entered. This loading made it through the full 12 inches and went through the first layer of fleece in the backstop.

https://i.imgur.com/OtmY6F6.jpg

https://youtu.be/O7cwfvg-2-w

I don't do a lot of gel testing because it's expensive and time consuming but we can all benefit from the data. I've never seen a full wadcutter magnum test in gel so here you go. I don't monetize any videos so this is just for us boolit junkies.

Bookworm
06-13-2020, 11:08 AM
That certainly looks like it would do the trick. There is a good bit of evidence out there that full-power wadcutters make a good defensive load.

John McCorkle
06-13-2020, 01:51 PM
It would certainly change your sunny disposition and separate you from your good health.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

fcvan
06-14-2020, 03:09 PM
30+ years ago, a co-worker used his snubby with factory wad cutter ammo to stop a fight. No question that point plank use is not effective

Norske
06-14-2020, 08:23 PM
Try a hollow base wadcutter backwards to make a HP. It devastated a jack rabbit some years ago.

Ozark mike
06-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Yes a hp puts more energy into the enemy but to say a wc is not effective is wrong a .430 hole in your chest is going to be just as effective as any other big hole in your chest a wc is best for penetration

sutherpride59
06-15-2020, 12:32 AM
Neat video, ole Elmer Keith sure knew what he was talking about. He loved hunting with wadcutters, normally semi-wadcutters because they fly better over distance but they have the same kind of wound channel.

mvintx
06-17-2020, 08:49 AM
I shot a 200 lb hog in the head with a .357" hollow base wadcutter. She went down immediately and now she's in my freezer.

mdi
06-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Pure lead? How much was left in the barrel? One of my house gun loads is a "normal" hardness cast full wadcutter (mebbe 11-12 BHN) over a max, not +P, load of W231, which gives me just under 900 fps out of my 3" 38. I don't think I'm under gunned and out to 20 feet it is accurate (haven't tried it any farther). I tried the reverse HBWC many years ago and I wasn't satisfied. In my wet newsprint tests only about 1/3 of the bullets expanded. Some of the others had the cavity walls collapse and the bullet tumbled and stopped quickly. Some the walls sheared off and the remaining part didn't penetrate much. On some the cavity clogged and the bullet acted like a solid.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-17-2020, 11:04 PM
No lead in the barrel. These were pan lubed but if you powder coat you can push pure pretty fast without any leading.