PDA

View Full Version : neck expander size

porthos
06-10-2020, 04:38 PM
none of my lyman or rcbs neck expanders measure what i think they should be. so, i'm ordering all NOE neck expander plugs for the lee die. as a rule of thumb, what size should the expander be in relation to the bullet size. eg. .311 bullet size, .266 bullet size. ect??

Nueces
06-10-2020, 05:17 PM
I think a good place to start is 1 to 2 thousandths under bullet diameter for CBs, and bullet diameter plus 2 thousandths for the upper step. I do this and can snap bullets into the necks, where they sit straight for seating. I notice that, as case brass hardens with use, I may need to increase these sizes by a thousandth. Or anneal case necks.

sureYnot
06-10-2020, 05:55 PM
I think a good place to start is 1 to 2 thousandths under bullet diameter for CBs, and bullet diameter plus 2 thousandths for the upper step. I do this and can snap bullets into the necks, where they sit straight for seating. I notice that, as case brass hardens with use, I may need to increase these sizes by a thousandth. Or anneal case necks.I believe that's what noe recommends. They work for me.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk