PDA

View Full Version : lyman lube sizer and lube

Harpman
11-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey gents, Happy Thanksgiving !...I am going to get a lyman sizer luber for X-Mas..and will use it mostly for 9mm pistol plinking bullets, probly around 900-1100 fps using N-340 powder, Also I was thinking about getting some SPG lube and try it with my sharps bullets...wondering though which lube sticks I should get for the 9mm, I want to get a good lube then after I get it setup and working good I will experiement with the Sharps bullets and my own homemade lube....and do you guys think I should get the heater for it ?

dubber123
11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
If you have the $$$ get the heater, it will allow you to run some of the harder lubes, which you may want for bulk storing of any boolits. Keep in mind swapping lubes in these is a royal PITA.

I have 2 sizers for just that reason, and could use a dozen more. Even after you think you have all the old lube out, it will keep showing up mixed in with the new lube.

44man
11-27-2008, 02:47 PM
SPG SUCKS, it left the last 10" of my barrels full of hard, dry fouling. I tried to sell the rest at a BPCR shoot and no one wanted it.
Buy Lar's lube, cheaper by far and works just great.
Go to the bottom of this site for his site.
He has great lube for your pistol boolits too.

Duckiller
11-27-2008, 03:17 PM
44 man is right! Lar's lube is very good and doesn't make messes. I have used it for everything from 38 Special wadcutters to30/06 with some velocity. Javalina (bees wax and alox) also works for plinking but gets real messy in the heat of summer.

Dale53
11-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I use Lars Carnauba Red with a heater. It works fine in my Lyman, RCBS, and Star lube/sizers. It has a higher melt temperature than NRA 50/50 Alox, is less sticky (stores better) and allows me to shoot accurately.

A bonus is it is extremely inexpensive. I just buy them in zip lock bags for the most in savings (AND most convenience).

Dale53

Chunky Monkey
11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
For my 45 acp boolits I'm currently using Jakes Purple (http://www.jakesproducts.com/ceresin/index.html)in my Lyman 4500 and I really like it. Jakes purple does need heated though.

I do have an order in the mailbox right now for some Lars CR as I wanna try it out.

TomT
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Chunky Monkey, please tell us how you think the Lars compares with the Jakes Lube.

I am trying to figure out how to use their Red now, but am having a terrible time with lube migrating from the grooves to the sides of other bullets in the bin. Not much of a problem after lube has cooled back down, but right out of the luberisizer it is a PITA.

Chunky Monkey
11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Chunky Monkey, please tell us how you think the Lars compares with the Jakes Lube.

I am trying to figure out how to use their Red now, but am having a terrible time with lube migrating from the grooves to the sides of other bullets in the bin. Not much of a problem after lube has cooled back down, but right out of the luberisizer it is a PITA.

Will pass on my findings, once I get the chance to compare!

After mine come out of the sizer I usually let them lay on the bench for a while before I toss them in the box. No problems with the lube migrating.

monadnock#5
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Where as you're still in the planning phase, get the lube heater. It will allow you to experiment with any lube on the market, or that you might concoct in your lab. However, in the long run, if you end up liking soft lubes, it will turn out to be an unnecessary expense.

I like Carnauba Red, but have to admit I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting with lubes.

mtgrs737
11-28-2008, 02:55 AM
I like the heater on my lubersizers even though I don't use hard lubes right now. You may need to build a control box for the heater if it is overheating and you get lube smear and lube migration after the boolit is out of the sizer like TomT seems to be getting. A little heat is good so the lube will flow well, but too much heat can be bad.

jdgabbard
11-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I like the heater on my lubersizers even though I don't use hard lubes right now. You may need to build a control box for the heater if it is overheating and you get lube smear and lube migration after the boolit is out of the sizer like TomT seems to be getting. A little heat is good so the lube will flow well, but too much heat can be bad.

Shouldn't be too difficult for the even the novice to put a rheostat on the cable. That would allow you to adjust the heat setting to best suit each lube's needs.